Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Two for the suggestion box

Hey Dutch / Elves,

Sorry if you already got this elsewhere...I tried using your "contact" on your page, but I'm not sure it went through.

There are two bits of gear I really wish you guys would make. Both are simple mods on existing gear, so I figured I'd see if you have a suggestion box.

First, I would like to have a lightweight adjustable height "gear hanger hook which I could use to hang whatever I like from a tree. The missing bit of bling would look like a Dutch Wasp, minus the antenna and the hook, and with the wing turned in to a large hook. Splice this on some lash it as usual and put a dutch hook at the other side. Use the Dutch Hook to wrap around the tree, the wasp tail to lock it at the right height, and now hang stuff from the large hook where the wing used to be. I know I could achieve something similar with a wasp/fly by just hanging things using the 'loop' that would go around the tree, but this can be a pain to undo/redo every time I want to retrieve something, and can be difficult to undo if the object being hung is heavy.

Second is a ridgeline biner with a hole for splicing at one end and an antenna/wing on top...very much like the stinger, but without the hookd. This would be used for a CRL. On one end, you have a normal ridgeline biner. On the other, this new beast. Both go around the tree, clip back on the line, and to the tarp (like Derek Hanson's drawing with two biners and a prusik) but the new beast would allow the mechanical advantage/traditional Dutch cleat setup for locking in place. I know I can (and do) use a regular stinger for this, so not a huge deal, but I have to wonder if it would work better without the hook and the cord placement difference of not using the hook, and if a purpose milled hole might be kinder on the cordage, knowing it would be used as the "pulley".

Thanks for considering it!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Would this not work for you as a bag holder: www.dutchwaregear.com/big-carl-pack-hanger.html
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I'm not just thinking of a bag holder...I am thinking somewhere I can hang whatever happens to need hanging, and retrieve it quckly and easily, even if it's heavy.

That said, I've tried the Big Carl, and didn't care for it. I want better adjustability. So...I modded it first with a Dutch hook on a prusik to allow for adjustability...but I found it difficult to unhook when something heavy was on it...then I made my own with a combo of a wasp and a Ducth hook...now very adjustable, and less fiddly when loaded. I'm also leary about the impact of friction from the lash it over time actilng like a cord saw.

I got the idea for the hook yesterday when I tried just hanging something directly on the wasp "wing" while packing up. The wasp wing shape made that difficult, though.

Also, I really want something less fiddly to just toss my hat on, or my food bag while I'm cooking, or my first aid kit while I fish around for some moleskin, or...etc. Either one giant hook, or better yet, mutliple hooks like http://www.tatogear.com/product/utility-hooks/ ...but it Ti for strength, and with the adjustability of the wasp tail and spliced onto the line so I don't lose it.

And thinking about what it would look like, you could call it the Dutch Scorpion.
    Last edited by MadUncleAndy; 09-23-2016 at 12:24. Reason: Added detail

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Is this what you were looking for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Close...but unless I'm missing something, not quite. I was imagining something similar but with both sides of the 'cleat', like the wing on a wasp, stinger, or fly...just not the hook.

Now if there's a way to use that single "antenna" to lock it in place that I'm not thinking of, maybe that is what I want and just don't know it yet.

Thanks!

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I don't have a picture handy, but I made something similar to the big carl, but with a flea instead. It gave me the same functionality but it was adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    I don't have a picture handy, but I made something similar to the big carl, but with a flea instead. It gave me the same functionality but it was adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, I did this too.

Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    Is this what you were looking for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
    What is that?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    What is that?
    It is one of the many prototypes I have sitting in bins on a bookshelf. It was made to make a ridgeline Biner that the ridgeline wraps around it like a Prussic, goes to the tree and the then connects to the small hole on the end. Works great but it just didn't look like bug so I invented the wasp.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Let me see what I can come up with for that adjustable pack hanger.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast