Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Easy and light suspension.

I'm looking for an easy to use and light as possible suspension that can hold 400 pounds or so.
    There is some kind of ratio for how light something is to how easy it is to set up.
    Atlas straps are super easy. I have them now but they are on the heavy side for backpacking. I have heard that whoopie slings (?) are a good light option but they seem difficult to use.
    Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you believe whoopie slings are difficult to use? If you can learn to tie a marlin spike hitch in your tree straps, then whoopies are extremely easy to use. Marlin spike will take 60 seconds to learn. Look on hammockforums.net home page for the Shug's videos link. Go there and view his video on the whoopies and marlin spike. I'm typing this on my phone lying in a hammock suspended from whoopies on my porch. They're easy to make, easy to use.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Titanium cinch buckles from Dutch. Very light, and one of the simplest suspensions to use. You need a longer tree strap then you need for a whoopie, but a 12' tree strap by Dutch is still much lighter then an atlas strap.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Titanium cinch buckles from Dutch. Very light, and one of the simplest suspensions to use. You need a longer tree strap then you need for a whoopie, but a 12' tree strap by Dutch is still much lighter then an atlas strap.
    Yes, it doesn't get any easier than this and is semi light and at this weight the whoopies stretch quit a bit.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Where does the 400 lbs. come from? With 7/64 Amsteel, that would be approx. a 4 to 1 safety ratio or less (the splice derates it some), so you would probably want to go with 1/8 Amsteel.

I really like the Dutch Whoopie Hooks and have been using them since they first came out. However, they're rated for 1000 lbs. I'm only 165 lbs., so that gives me a 6-1 safety ratio.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    CL, straps, buckle
    I currently use whoopie slings and 7 ft. web straps. I use a Becket hitch knot to secure the slings to the straps. Holds great, easy to tie, and no hardware to keep track of. Very lightweight, adjustable, and packs well.

Easy and light suspension.

I like a becket hitch suspension.

Quick, just as light as Amsteel whoopies, and no minimum hang distance. Most people use muletape which is cheap. Using dutch's 2.2 Kevlar would be lighter than Amsteel whoopies but extremely expensive.

I would say whoopies are easy to learn, but annoying to use. The minimum hang distance is frequently a problem for me here in the eastern US. I ended up also needing continuous loops on the hammock ends with whoopies. Often, I bypass the whoopies completely. You can make your straps very short, but then they end up not being enough and other issues arise. You can carry dog bones for that. You can come up with solutions for all the whoopie issues, but it's annoying carrying extra doodads and constantly reconfiguring your suspension to accommodate tree spacing.
    Last edited by mophead; 09-24-2016 at 23:44.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherbrady View Post
    I'm looking for an easy to use and light as possible suspension that can hold 400 pounds or so.
    There is some kind of ratio for how light something is to how easy it is to set up.
    Atlas straps are super easy. I have them now but they are on the heavy side for backpacking. I have heard that whoopie slings (?) are a good light option but they seem difficult to use.
    Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use UCR's larks headed onto a continuous loop on my hammock and a marlin spike hitch on my tree straps. I use 3in carbon fiber arrow shafts for the MSH. All in all pretty light. You could use Dutch's spiders or his Buckles to do away with the MSH, but for me the hitch works great and it's one less thing to worry about. A benefit of the MSH is you can always find a stick in the woods to replace the arrow shafts if you lose them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    I like a becket hitch suspension.

Quick, just as light as Amsteel whoopies, and no minimum hang distance. Most people use muletape which is cheap. Using dutch's 2.2 Kevlar would be lighter than Amsteel whoopies but extremely expensive.

I would say whoopies are easy to learn, but annoying to use. The minimum hang distance is frequently a problem for me here in the eastern US. I ended up also needing continuous loops on the hammock ends with whoopies. Often, I bypass the whoopies completely. You can make your straps very short, but then they end up not being enough and other issues arise. You can carry dog bones for that. You can come up with solutions for all the whoopie issues, but it's annoying carrying extra doodads and constantly reconfiguring your suspension to accommodate tree spacing.

Wait, wait, wait, Are you saying that you only carry tree straps and becket hitch them to your hammock? Because I've been using descender rings and a half hitch. It slips. The becket hitch must untie easy when unloading the tree side. This might be my new go to knot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are many ways as you can see so far.
    My go-to is the tree strap/marlinspike knot/toggle/whoopie sling. Never found a place I could not hang.....though in real world backpacking there is sometimes challenging hangs no matter what suspension you choose to use.
    The becket looks like a fine knot. Been meaning to give it a try sometime but just haven't.
    So many ways to hang a hammock. Don't let it hang you up. Hang an' go:::::::
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast