Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles

DIY double layer HH clone with removable bug-netting

First post....long time lurker!

I recently purchased materials from RipstopByTheRoll to build my daughter a little hammock, and myself a nice double layer HH clone (much like HC4U's awesome DIY) and have a question for those of you more adept at sewing than I.

After roll hemming the two edges of my material, would it be that much more difficult to sandwich the zipper between the layers, yet still achieve the same results as Lost_biker does herehttps://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-The-Easy-Way

I only ask, because I would assume it creates a much cleaner finished product, and minimizes the chance of hooking the zipper material while getting in/out?

Am I overthinking this?? Any feed back is appreciated!

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    If you havent seen it, look at Xtrekker's video how he does it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4PPMPWDH4U

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I did it that way (the sandwich method) for my daughter's 9-foot hammock with removable zippered bug net, and it worked very well. I also made a single-layer zippered 11-footer using XTrekker's method. Either way, you can't really go wrong as long as you plan carefully and take your time.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ip-Off-Bug-Net

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    It was actually Xtrecker's video that spurred the question! Since his is a single layer, I assume it would be similar for the "sandwich" method? Just not quite sure how it works out when you get to the end of the hammock, and the zipper transitions from one side to the other at the head/foot.

That looks great Kit! I can only hope mine comes out half as decent! Material was delivered today....now just have to will the rest of the work day to go by faster!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the kind words regarding my build. Actually, if you're adding a net to a single-layer hammock, you can't truly sandwich the zipper tape, because there's nothing with which to "sandwich". (There's only one piece of "bread"...) However, you do have the choice either to insert the tape into the roll hem of the single layer with the zipper teeth inboard toward the hammock body or to tack the zipper tape on top of the roll hem with the teeth outward. Most cottage vendors seem to choose the former; I chose the latter (easier), and it still turned out looking quite respectable both inside and out, and the zipper travels smoothly. Good luck with your project.

Hammock
    Hennessey Evader
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinslotten View Post
    If you havent seen it, look at Xtrekker's video how he does it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4PPMPWDH4U
    Thanks for the link. He has some nice vids.

Hammock
    Hennessey Evader
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Images
    Great job kit. That looks great! I hope when i am able to do my own that I will come out looking as good as yours.

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Thanks for the kind words regarding my build. Actually, if you're adding a net to a single-layer hammock, you can't truly sandwich the zipper tape, because there's nothing with which to "sandwich". (There's only one piece of "bread"...) However, you do have the choice either to insert the tape into the roll hem of the single layer with the zipper teeth inboard toward the hammock body or to tack the zipper tape on top of the roll hem with the teeth outward. Most cottage vendors seem to choose the former; I chose the latter (easier), and it still turned out looking quite respectable both inside and out, and the zipper travels smoothly. Good luck with your project.
    I am doing a double layer. Ecstatic that all my goodies arrived yesterday, and set about making Whoopie Slings.

I think the best way to figure out the head/foot transition is to just pin it out and see what the fabric tells me. Can't even begin to describe how excited I am! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0506.jpg

My daughter's hammock is nearly done! Some finishing touches and it'll be ready for it's maiden voyage!

Took me about 1.5 hours, most of which was me relearning my way around a sewing machine and fabric. Stitches started UGLY, but I quickly relearned what I haven't done in nearly 15 years!

Next up, mine. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures along the way for that one!

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    Finished my silpoly hex12 tarp yesterday night, and the main body of my double layer DIY today (still need to do the bug netting). My word is this thing comfy!! My blanks were 130x68 when I started, still need to get a dim of the overall finished length. Started to hang my tarp...but couldn't get the hitches to bite the amsteel whoopies. (I'm using parachord for the guys/ties, is that why I'm getting slip?)

I plan on doing a separate ridge for the tarp, any suggestions on materials? I don't thing Amsteel is a necessity, since it's just holding up the tarp. Could zing-it or just masons line work for that?

I know, pics or it didn't happen, so see attached!

IMG_0510.jpgIMG_0508.jpgIMG_2420.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast