Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127
  1. #1

    Costco Differential Cut 3/4 UQ with Faux Baffles

    This how I'm doing my differential cut Costco underquilt with faux baffles.

    • First I ripped the longitudinal seams and left the transverse seams
    • Then I turned the quilt by 90, so that the trans chambers are now 60" long longitudinal chambers
    • I need to reduce the 70" width to a more reasonable 42".
    • To do that I am marking 1" each side of the seams and pinning the two chalkmarks together
    • Then I am sewing a raised seam, this gives me a slightly less than 1" baffle and reduces each chamber to 3" on the inside and 5" on the outside (differential, YAY!)

  2. #2
    I have been throwing numbers at the Differential Cut Underquilt Calculator,
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nderquiltCalcP - Mod.xls
    trying to get the best temperature rating out of the measly 6oz of down. The best I can hope for is around 40F (5C). And that is by migrating the down to fill the chambers and cutting to the length of my 3/4 HG Phoenix, 52".

    The next one will have 6 x 70" long chambers, narrowed on the inside from 10 to 7". I will need to harvest the down from another quilt, need a total of 12oz to fill those bigger chambers, but I am hoping to get a full (well, 7/8) length UQ that will be rated between 25 to 30F.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    you're just adding differential, not creating baffles, from what I can see. You still have a sewn through quilt... ...What you are sewing is basically a dart with no taper
    I'm not really following you there, care to expand? I appreciate your experience.

    Just to make sure we are on the same page, and no confusion,
    this is a cross-section through a normally baffled quilt,


    and this is a cross-section through my quilt with the faux baffles (made from the excess inner material),


    --
    Gadget

  4. #4
    Senior Member Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Posts
    1,760
    Images
    44
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you were doing. Guess you were too quick for my ninja post delete.

  5. #5
    No worries, I hope the drawings make it a bit clearer what I am doing.
    Done half of the 14, so far.

    --
    Gadget

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    This how I'm doing my differential cut Costco underquilt with faux baffles.

    • First I ripped the longitudinal seams and left the transverse seams
    • Then I turned the quilt by 90, so that the trans chambers are now 60" long longitudinal chambers
    • I need to reduce the 70" width to a more reasonable 42".
    • To do that I am marking 1" each side of the seams and pinning the two chalkmarks together
    • Then I am sewing a raised seam, this gives me a slightly less than 1" baffle and reduces each chamber to 3" on the inside and 5" on the outside (differential, YAY!)
    this is outstanding creativity with these affordable but sewn-through blankets. I'm a little confused though with your description - tell me if I follow correctly.

    1) you ripped the 70" seams to give 14 tubes 60" wide
    2) on the inner surface, you stitched one inch of fabric from each adjoining seam together, giving you a 4" tube at each end but 3" tubes for the internal tubes, giving a finished internal shell of 44x60
    3) external shell remains at 70"

    am I there?..
    Last edited by Secondmouse; 09-29-2016 at 11:14.

  7. #7
    A little confusion, I'll try to explain.
    I ripped the 70" seams, leaving 14 tubes, 5" wide and 60" long.
    I then sewed adjoining surfaces together, like this,
    this is a cross-section through my quilt with the faux baffles (made from the excess inner material),

    This forms tubes, 60" long, with a 3" inner surface, two 3/4" baffles and a 5" outer surface.
    This results in an inner shell of 60 x 42", and an outer shell of 60 x 70". The outer shell is going to be too baggy to loft with 6oz of 700 fill, even when I reduce the length to 52". So I will use the edges of the outer to form the primary suspension channels, and, if necessary, I will use up some of the excess width by adding to the faux baffles on the outside too.
    The other option is to add more down. This is what I plan to do with the next UQ. I will rip the seams in the opposite direction, then rip alternate 70" seams, so I'm left with 6 tubes, 10" wide by 70" long. I will do the magic with the faux baffles to end up with 6 tubes, 70" long with an inner of 7", baffles of 1.25", and an outer of 10".
    I will then decant the contents of another quilt into it, to make a total of 12oz. Hoping that will get me a 70 x 42" UQ that will cope with 30F.

    --
    Gadget

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    A little confusion, I'll try to explain.
    I ripped the 70" seams, leaving 14 tubes, 5" wide and 60" long.
    I then sewed adjoining surfaces together, like this,
    this is a cross-section through my quilt with the faux baffles (made from the excess inner material),
    yep, got that.

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    This forms tubes, 60" long, with a 3" inner surface, two 3/4" baffles and a 5" outer surface. This results in an inner shell of 60 x 42", and an outer shell of 60 x 70".
    not 44? you have two end tubes with only 1" width removed so 12 tubes x 3 = 36 + 2 tubes x 4 =44

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    The outer shell is going to be too baggy to loft with 6oz of 700 fill, even when I reduce the length to 52".
    52" or 42?..

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    So I will use the edges of the outer to form the primary suspension channels, and, if necessary, I will use up some of the excess width by adding to the faux baffles on the outside too.
    ok, that would account for the missing 2"

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    The other option is to add more down. This is what I plan to do with the next UQ. I will rip the seams in the opposite direction, then rip alternate 70" seams, so I'm left with 6 tubes, 10" wide by 70" long. I will do the magic with the faux baffles to end up with 6 tubes, 70" long with an inner of 7", baffles of 1.25", and an outer of 10".
    I will then decant the contents of another quilt into it, to make a total of 12oz. Hoping that will get me a 70 x 42" UQ that will cope with 30F.

    --
    Gadget
    now that's interesting. assuming doubling the fill (6oz) would get you to 30*, that would get you a slightly heavy UQ around 22oz for $40 and your time. not bad...

    how do you know the weight of fill?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    52" or 42?..
    Cut down from 60" to 52". And 42" wide (of insulation plus two 1" suspension channels)
    now that's interesting. assuming doubling the fill (6oz) would get you to 30*, that would get you a slightly heavy UQ around 22oz for $40 and your time. not bad...
    I'm just punching the numbers into the differential UQ calculator spreadsheet.
    how do you know the weight of fill?
    Someone measured it, I can find you the thread later if you like.

    EDIT
    6oz, link is here,
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1622511


    --
    Gadget

  10. #10
    Marking the last faux baffle,


    Inside, with the raised seams (hopefully not too uncomfortable),


    Outside,


    Not bad loft,


    Greg Hairy-Arse approved,


    I will sort suspension channels, end cinches and draft collars tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. Costco Underquilt Question/Idea - Faux Baffles?
    By -c0de- in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-16-2017, 10:49
  2. UQ differential cut baffles. What do you do?
    By corrupt_reverend in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 00:19
  3. Differential baffles??
    By pathfinder in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 16:53
  4. Differential Baffles for Top Quilt?
    By laherb in forum Top Insulation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-25-2009, 08:33
  5. Differential baffles
    By FreeTheWeasel in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 22:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •