Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images

VIDEO: For the Love of Car Camping

This is largely just me rambling on about car camping, which is something I've sort of "rediscovered". Had a great drive around Michigan's U.P. last weekend and I'm just sharing some thoughts on that trip.

Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I'll definitely watch this one after work. I love car camping, and probably do it more than backpacking to be honest. We like setting up, leaving our stuff somewhere safe, and heading onto the trails to explore. I still love backpacking, don't get me wrong....... but car camping, with a trunk full of wood and a cooler full of meat is hard to beat.

Good homage to car camping! I definitely love it and don't feel like I get to do it enough. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I haven't done it much but if you can find the right spot then IMO car camping is definitely a solid option. You can still get plenty of hiking in and hey, plenty of lolligaggin too if you want. No doubt the food is much better as well! Thanks for the thoughts Red!

Nice video. Car camping is an overlooked option if you just want to get out there and relax. We were just up in the UP 2 weeks ago and started our hike on the NCT at the Rivermouth Campground. Plus, the food options with a full size cooler are a heck of alot better that dehydrated food on the trail. Looks like you made the most of your time up there.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    I'll definitely watch this one after work. I love car camping, and probably do it more than backpacking to be honest. We like setting up, leaving our stuff somewhere safe, and heading onto the trails to explore. I still love backpacking, don't get me wrong....... but car camping, with a trunk full of wood and a cooler full of meat is hard to beat.
    Thats the real beauty of car camping when you can hang out at one spot for a few days and not have to pack up and go somewhere else every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MLank View Post
    Good homage to car camping! I definitely love it and don't feel like I get to do it enough. Thanks for sharing.
    I'll be doing some more this weekend at the MI fall hang, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I haven't done it much but if you can find the right spot then IMO car camping is definitely a solid option. You can still get plenty of hiking in and hey, plenty of lolligaggin too if you want. No doubt the food is much better as well! Thanks for the thoughts Red!
    A good campground is no doubt the key, I've had loud neighbors in the backcountry in places like Algonquin and it really takes away from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Nice video. Car camping is an overlooked option if you just want to get out there and relax. We were just up in the UP 2 weeks ago and started our hike on the NCT at the Rivermouth Campground. Plus, the food options with a full size cooler are a heck of alot better that dehydrated food on the trail. Looks like you made the most of your time up there.
    Thanks Michigandave, that is a beautiful area up there for sure, and the food can't be beat compared to backpacking food.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    A good campground is no doubt the key, I've had loud neighbors in the backcountry in places like Algonquin and it really takes away from the experience.
    That's what I like about Michigan. You can just get into the public land and drive around on two-tracks all day. Once you find a spot you like, pull a few feet off the trail, hang your free DNR camp permit, and call it camp. Free, quiet, and very piney

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Good one! Car camped for years with my kids and now GF. It's a different skill set but still living in the woods. Folks that knock it are cluelss. Moved to a cabin on ewheels when getting up off the ground got to be a problem. Many if not most of the RV's you see out there are folks who have car camped and often back packed.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    My family loves car camping. The kids vary in ages and back packing isn't always a good option. Outside of loading the portable grill and the cooler on the rear cargo rack, we try to use a hiker's mentality for our car camps. As long as there is a creek for the kids to play in, a Frisbee or a football, and a book for each person, we are set for a few days.

Before the kids headed back to school after their summer break, we drove the Blue Ridge Pkwy and camped out each night. Each morning, we would plan the day's stops and each evening we would get set up just before dusk and cook dinner and relax around the fire.

Thanks for sharing your pics. You have a good eye.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That's what I like about Michigan. You can just get into the public land and drive around on two-tracks all day. Once you find a spot you like, pull a few feet off the trail, hang your free DNR camp permit, and call it camp. Free, quiet, and very piney
    I am not familiar with this, tell me more. There are plenty of places I would not hesitate to do this, I just didn't know there was a permitting system for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Good one! Car camped for years with my kids and now GF. It's a different skill set but still living in the woods. Folks that knock it are cluelss. Moved to a cabin on ewheels when getting up off the ground got to be a problem. Many if not most of the RV's you see out there are folks who have car camped and often back packed.
    I grew up car camping. We're actually looking at teardrop type trailers or similar because, of all things, my dog can't seem to relax even if she sleeps in the car, so a tiny trailer might be the answer to making my dog into a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    My family loves car camping. The kids vary in ages and back packing isn't always a good option. Outside of loading the portable grill and the cooler on the rear cargo rack, we try to use a hiker's mentality for our car camps. As long as there is a creek for the kids to play in, a Frisbee or a football, and a book for each person, we are set for a few days.

Before the kids headed back to school after their summer break, we drove the Blue Ridge Pkwy and camped out each night. Each morning, we would plan the day's stops and each evening we would get set up just before dusk and cook dinner and relax around the fire.

Thanks for sharing your pics. You have a good eye.

STinGa
    Thanks STinGa, camping is definitely some good family time.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast