WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I've been working on a vintage motorcycle, sort of takes most of my time.
    In a separate thread, I would like to hear about the motorcycle.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Well, I'm back at this again. I got a new wind under my sails when I had to miss a hike.

I made another mesh bag and taped it in the big box. This time using the big shop vac. I was able to reach into the old mesh bag full of fluff and swirl it around. I was able to get a lot of the seeds and centers to loosen up.

Then I slowly worked the fluff out into the bag inside the box. I sorted the center piece out which in turn gave me a ton more fluff. A lot of the fluff is still compact on the center as it was put into the bag a little wet.

I now have a question. How do you know how much ? The first two baffles are very dense. They are the ones I blew in with the vacuum. Now I have about 10 large fist fulls in the next 5 baffles. It seems enough as the tubes are staying puffed up. I'm thinking I should remove some from the first 2 baffles and add it to the last 2 baffles.

So how dense should it be. How do you test the density? I'll get pictures in the am.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I'm at it again. I know I'm a slacker. I have three baffles full and I think they are too full. they don't want to compress down much and the quilt is sort of stiff and stands up on it's own.

I have a few baffles with much less in them but when I spread it out to equally fill the baffel there are air gaps, or sections with no fluff.

I need a little comparison info to down. If you hold a down under quilt on one end and shake it how much will the down drop down? Will it go so far that there might be a 12" to 20" empty gap at the end you're holding?

There may be two things going on here. 1 The fluff compacts more than it should because I'm stuffing it in too much. 2 The baffels are too large at 3" baffels and 6.5" wide.

This is going to be crazy warm. I have been covered up with it while watching tv. More effective than the Costco down quilt.

I need to get the runs equally stuffed somehow. Please give me some suggestions.

Images
    If harvested at correct time and dried/cleaned properly the seed could pay for a blanket.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    who buys seeds?

That din't answer my question...

Images
    Karo step pattern?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    no. straight running head to toe. 9 of them. It weighs in at 4lbs 1 oz as you see it. I know there's too much in the first 4 rows, Maybe I'll just remove 1/2 from them and add it to the others. Just see if it'll shake out and function?

This is the only place my pictures post sideways...

IMG_0890.jpg
    Last edited by XJ35S; 01-13-2019 at 14:53.

Images
    My mother use to make and sell cloth dolls that were stuffed with cat tail fluff. She had a bunch of dolls made and then found that some bug had laid eggs in the cat tails. She put the dolls in the oven at 150°f for a while and they were good to go.

I just heard about this today while listening to the HYOH podcast about the same time as it came up in my Facebook feed from an outdoors group. I really like the idea of it being renewable and can be responsibly harvested. I would love to know how your quilts turned out and what your experience with the insulation has been like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234