Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Easy source for winter hoods - old coats

Ever try sleeping at 20F in a 20F quilt with only a fleece beanie on your head? Not cool. Cold, but not cool...and possibly the reason some folks think 20F quilts are too optimistic in their ratings. For winter quilts, you need more than a simple beanie or balaclava on your head.

JRB hoods are luxurious in their warmth, and lots of folks are happy with the BPL Cocoon series. They're also more than a lot of folks choose to pay. Or maybe you're just the DIY type and want to scrounge or make your own, b/c of the challenge of it.

I was in REI two days ago and saw a great solution...removable hoods from their winter jackets. Warm enough, perfectly shaped (within reason), and readily available to sleep in. But this got me thinking of all the winter coats at Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, thrift shops, etc. Lots of hoods could be cut off and hemmed to make a perfect sleeping hood for winter hammocking with a quilt.

Could probably do the same with a good sleeping bag hood.

Anyone tried this already?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Cold, but not cool...and possibly the reason some folks think 20F quilts are too optimistic in their ratings. For winter quilts, you need more than a simple beanie or balaclava on your head.
    I don't have any hood-sourcing suggestions, but I'll second your thought that a hood isn't optional gear to get the full rating out of a winter quilt.

In particular, the GoLite Ultra20 is often said to be optimistic in it's rating. Yet, I've had mine to 20ºF on two separate occasions while wearing a JRB hood. And I consider myself an 'average' warmth sleeper.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - that's the main one I had in mind.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I finally got a JRB hood and it was amazing how much warmer my GoLite Ultra20 became.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

JJ, I think something like this would be easy enough to find at a goodwill or salvation army store for cheap, in the coat dept. A little diy stitchery, and it would be something worn at day or night. I like the fact that you get some shoulder coverage, and the straps will keep it in place. Or make the whole thing from scratch.

Sorta a twist on the 2/3 uq, it could be called the 1/3 coat/hood.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

JJ, I think something like this would be easy enough to find at a goodwill or salvation army store for cheap, in the coat dept. A little diy stitchery, and it would be something worn at day or night. I like the fact that you get some shoulder coverage, and the straps will keep it in place. Or make the whole thing from scratch.

Sorta a twist on the 2/3 uq, it could be called the 1/3 coat/hood.
    I still have one of those that was issued to me when I was flying off of icebreakers.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Ever try sleeping at 20F in a 20F quilt with only a fleece beanie on your head? Not cool. Cold, but not cool...and possibly the reason some folks think 20F quilts are too optimistic in their ratings. For winter quilts, you need more than a simple beanie or balaclava on your head.

JRB hoods are luxurious in their warmth, and lots of folks are happy with the BPL Cocoon series. They're also more than a lot of folks choose to pay. Or maybe you're just the DIY type and want to scrounge or make your own, b/c of the challenge of it.

I was in REI two days ago and saw a great solution...removable hoods from their winter jackets. Warm enough, perfectly shaped (within reason), and readily available to sleep in. But this got me thinking of all the winter coats at Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, thrift shops, etc. Lots of hoods could be cut off and hemmed to make a perfect sleeping hood for winter hammocking with a quilt.

Could probably do the same with a good sleeping bag hood.

Anyone tried this already?
    Nonsense, just get a JRB Hood, best money you'll ever spend if you intend to hammock in below freezing conditions. It's cost is inconsequential compared to the rest of a good cold/cool weather hammock setup. Also, order the FREE collar mod kit with the Hood and sew it to your down vest.

I ordered a Golite Cirrus down vest for $75, and last year I ordered a JRB Hood and down sleeves during their fall sale. Less money than a Western Mountaineering/Montbell hooded jacket at about the same weight/warmth with LOTS more versatility.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    The JRB hoods look to be top-notch, but there's still often more than one way to solve a problem. I like this idea.

In general, thrift stores can yield amazing finds. I was really thankful for my thin lightly insulated ski pants this morning as I skied down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I picked them up for $2 a few years ago at a thrift store and they're one of my best pieces of gear.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a down parka that I got from a Sears discount outlet back in 1988. It has a removable hood. Been using the hood separately as you describe for many happy and warm years.

The parka is extremely warm, but huge. Because of the size I have not been able to use the parka backpacking, but have been using the hood alone since I got it. Now that I have the Dixon Roller Pack, I can also use the parka with the hood while hiking. Been toying with the idea of rigging the parka as a 3/4 under quilt for the Bridge. Double duty.

• + New Posts