Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images

1.1 Cordura

Has anyone played around with 1.1 Cordura? I just saw some stuff sacks made out of the siliconized version of the stuff. It seemed stiff and felt heavy, but that's kind of hard to judge. Invista says that it's much stronger and has almost no stretch as compared to regular 1.1. I'd be curious to know if they make it in a DWR finish or just sil, and I'm brainstorming about possible applications for it.

I'm looking out my window at the smokestacks of an Invista nylon factory, but I don't think they make Cordura here in Waynesboro, just Lycra and carpet backing.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Where do you find it??
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    It's used in some Sea to Summit and Granite Gear stuff sacks. I haven't been able to find a supplier online. The brochure is here: http://www.cordura.com/documents/outdoor_brochure.pdf
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Has anyone played around with 1.1 Cordura? I just saw some stuff sacks made out of the siliconized version of the stuff. It seemed stiff and felt heavy, but that's kind of hard to judge. Invista says that it's much stronger and has almost no stretch as compared to regular 1.1. I'd be curious to know if they make it in a DWR finish or just sil, and I'm brainstorming about possible applications for it.

I'm looking out my window at the smokestacks of an Invista nylon factory, but I don't think they make Cordura here in Waynesboro, just Lycra and carpet backing.
    While I have yet to find the actual supplier of this material - I do know a little bit that might be of use.

The material is called Ultra-Sil. It is not exactly silnylon, but close enough. It is coated with silicone on one side and a urethane on the other. There are a lot of names being thrown around in the silnylon category and there is a great deal of difference between them in regards to water permeability. "Silnylon's" that have either dual coatings (like Ultra-Sil) or a proprietary blend coating (like Skylite) do feel thicker and stiffer than actual silnylon's with pur silicone finish.

It is a Cordura fabric - but the truth is that doesn't distinguish it from many other fabrics. The Ultrasil (very different from Ultra-Sil) that I use in my standard tarps is also Cordura fabric. Ultrasil has a pure silicone finish as opposed to Ultra-Sil.

You could contact Rockywoods and see if the "Ultra-Sil" that they sell is the same stuff that the Sea-to-Summit stuff sacks are made from. It's about the same price/yd as most Silnylon firsts (though I would be amiss not to mention that I'm selling Ultrasil 1sts in my webstore by the yard - and for much less, by the way).

Here's a couple yards of Ultrasil (not Ultra-Sil) holding over a gallon of water - one drop finally came through after about 3 hours. After 9 hours there were a couple more drops hanging on, but none fell. I was impressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I thought Ultra-Sil might be very similar. Interestingly, Rockywoods has a Cordura page and states that Cordura is made down to the 30-denier level (1.1 oz), but that weight isn't listed for sale on the site, at least not as Cordura. I don't know that I really need the coated fabric, but I'm curious about whether there is an uncoated version out there somewhere. It's a little difficult to tell based on the Invista brochure. It's the no-stretch 1.1 weave that has me curious about a possible hammock fabric, but if I wanted a VB hammock, I'd probably spring for cuben. Thanks for the info and the good photo.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    My usual supplier carries a number of Cordura fabrics. I can ask if they've got anything in 1.1 uncoated. I'll report back with the response - but I might not hear anything until after Christmas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Sweet, thanks.

out of curiosity

Just wondering if you ever heard anything back on this? Just curious..

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    cordura is.. like many other names... a weave pattern. I have never found any that would be light, but if it is listed with reputable vendor then I don't doubt it is made. Cordura is most often used as a light weight "pack cloth". It is very durable but in such uses I would think coated would be the most popular.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    Just wondering if you ever heard anything back on this? Just curious..
    I'll inquire again today.

The 30d Silnylon fabric (1.1oz before silicone) that I carry in my store (and make my stock tarps from) is Cordura.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast