Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    We have bears and racoons here so I hang my non-essentials (pack included) with my food in a PCT method. Everything essential to survival I keep in the hammock or near it at night. Radio (if I'm alone), light, firestarter, water, map, compass.

There are 9 dollar dry bags (set of three sil-treated ripstop) you can get from walmart now that will keep it all dry if you're worried about wet weather. And if I'm worried about that I'll usually have a poncho. I just wrap the pack in the poncho and hang it all.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    I like keeping my pack in the camping hammock with me. I use it under my knees, some folks like it, I am one of them. But I like @MikeM's tripod idea. I will definitely give it a go next time I have a large pack.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    My system is similar to Shewie's, but I'll often run the pack straps through the treehuggers rather than using an extra length of 550 cord. I prefer to leave as few dents in the tree as possible - especially with the stringybark eucalypts we have around my area, they will show a rope mark for up to six months. I sometimes also just run the pack straps through the main line at the foot end of the hammock if I'm feeling lazy.

And Shewie... mate, that marinated chicken breast in your photo is never gonna cook unless you put it near some fire. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I run a length of paracord round a tree and use mini karabiners to hold stuff up with.

I also run a utility line under my tarp to hang handy items off, usually in mini stuff sacs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Frankly, I like a gear hammock.
    I use the same method mentioned by several to keep the pack off the ground but I like to have my stuff off the ground too. Eating, cooking gear, and food all goes in here. It wouldn't be practical if you're just stopping for the night and moving on in the morning. I like to backpack in and set up a base camp for two or three days.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    It's great to have someplace to put smaller odds n ends, rather than just on the ground. I once had a critter (or something) take my mug in the middle of the night.

The really strange thing was, halfway back to my car the next day, there was my mug sitting exactly in the middle of the trail- sitting upright, as if waiting for me. FREAKY !!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12