DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

UGQ Winter Dream -- Panel pulls?

After a night of crazy wind and rain, which included swirling winds, rain coming down hard into the tarp, the wife has given me the okay to start looking at tarps with doors. I am drawn to the UGQ winter dream, because it is available in various colors, and fabric types.

I've never had a tarp with panel pulls before. I have been woken up in the middle of the night a few times from a wind blowing the sides of my tarp. Talk about waking up panicked. "What is touching me? Why is my tarp all the way over here? Wind? Bigfoot? HAHA.

Is one panel pull enough to keep the tarp from blowing in on those windy nights, or is 2 pulls the way to go?

Also, if anyone has any overall experiences with Winter Dream tarps they want to share, please feel free to share. Photos too! I'm currently debating between the silpoly and the Membrane 0.93
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I have two panel pulls per side....I have them on all my tarps just because of the experience you mentioned in your post....:0) And if it happens now with my panel pulls ....it's a Bigfoot for sure...:0). Enjoy

Turk3

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    The UGQ Winter Hream is an excellant choice!, i have 2 pulls per side on all of my tarps as well and i have never had my tarp touch me in the middle of the night no matter how hard the wind is blowing, plus i can also hang in my bridge without the ends of the spreader bars ever touching the tarp, i just throw my pole mod on and sleep easy.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Love my winter dream, that said, if I built one again, I would make some different choices. Mine is Sil/Poly, I highly recommend that, although you mentioned the .93 membrane, I don't have any familiarity with that, but the silpoly is amazing! Packs small, doesn't stretch much, and is super lightweight. It truly makes my old Hennessey hex look like a joke.

I have two panel pulls on each side, however, I've never really used them cause I also have the center pole mod. My thoughts after using the center pole mod a couple of times are that it's not the best solution... the end poles might work better. The next time I go out, I am going to do some comparisons of the center pole vs. using the dual pullouts. The center pole mod does it's thing, but I feel like it requires a bit of fiddling around to really keep it working like it should, also, I found that I needed to stake the middle on the sides to keep them from going awkward, which sort of defeats the purpose of the pole mod in the first place. Like I said, I need to do some more testing, I am not writing it off or anything, my last trip out was super windy, so it made multiple aspects of hammock camping a bit challenging.

Here is a picture of my winter dream being blown around by heavy winds. I removed the pole because it wasn't working with the wind.

http://i.imgur.com/biHINYAh.jpg

Technically, this is my wife's tarp, and I'm stuck with the old Hennessey... I think my next tarp will be the catcut hex from UGQ, since I doubt I will need two tarps with doors.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Dual pullouts on the outside will give the most flexibility. You can get a tarp pole mod, which I heard works really well. Tie one side facing the wind to the ground using trekking poles or trees. You just have a lot of options with two pullouts on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Barren23 View Post

Here is a picture of my winter dream being blown around by heavy winds. I removed the pole because it wasn't working with the wind.

http://i.imgur.com/biHINYAh.jpg

Technically, this is my wife's tarp, and I'm stuck with the old Hennessey... I think my next tarp will be the catcut hex from UGQ, since I doubt I will need two tarps with doors.
    Barren... Forgive me.. Your picture looks like the tarp is being blown around pretty good. Is that because the side pull outs aren't being utilized? I'm asking because I just purchased the WinterDream as well. We're getting ready to use it the first time in two weeks and weather will be an issue. I'm assuming it's fairly sturdy when the pull outs are used?

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dual side pullouts sounds like the consensus. Thanks for all of the replies so far
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Various
    What color is that? It looks sharp!
    Hope you set your setup straightened out!

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Shooter View Post
    Barren... Forgive me.. Your picture looks like the tarp is being blown around pretty good. Is that because the side pull outs aren't being utilized? I'm asking because I just purchased the WinterDream as well. We're getting ready to use it the first time in two weeks and weather will be an issue. I'm assuming it's fairly sturdy when the pull outs are used?
    It is definitely being blown hard, we had steady strong winds for the entire day. I took out the pole mod, but didn't have any lines with me to try to move to the pull outs. To be honest, I need to spend more time playing with tarp configuration. I spent a bunch of time picking out titanium bits for my corners and stuff but really haven't done much other playing around with different setups. I was used to my hennessey hex, which didn't have nearly the configuration options that the Winter Dream does with the doors, 4 tie outs, and pole mod. So really, it's all about spending time to learn your gear, which I haven't done yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    What color is that? It looks sharp!
    Hope you set your setup straightened out!

https://hammockforums.net/forum/atta...9&d=1457310631

Olive Yellow. It matches my Dream Hammock very nicely!
    Last edited by Barren23; 10-19-2016 at 13:07. Reason: added a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Barren23 View Post
    It is definitely being blown hard, we had steady strong winds for the entire day. I took out the pole mod, but didn't have any lines with me to try to move to the pull outs. To be honest, I need to spend more time playing with tarp configuration. I spent a bunch of time picking out titanium bits for my corners and stuff but really haven't done much other playing around with different setups. I was used to my hennessey hex, which didn't have nearly the configuration options that the Winter Dream does with the doors, 4 tie outs, and pole mod. So really, it's all about spending time to learn your gear, which I haven't done yet!
    Thanks.. Looks like I'll learn the hard way too... We're going out next weekend and forecast is rain and wind. I'll let you know how the pull outs work

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast