Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

"Winter" Tarp for Clark?

I recently returned from a 4-day fall subalpine lakes fishing trip accompanied by two-ground dwellers in small two-man tents. There were over 14 lakes on a 4800' plateau. We camped at the uppermost lake in a stand of trees surrounded by meadows. Days 1 and 2 were great.
    2016 09 29_0604.jpg Indian Heaven - Rock Lake.JPG Indian Heaven - Lake Sahalee Tyee - Catch of the Day.JPG
    Day 3 was miserable. We were in the clouds, temps in the high 30s to mid 40s, gusty-variable winds, with horizontal rain and sleet. My friend described it to his wife as "starting at about 2:30 AM it was raining all but about three 45 minute periods, and when it wasn't raining, the wind was blowing the rain out of the trees so it looked like it was raining."
    2016 10 01_0587.jpg
    My tarp pitch kept had kept things dry and I had slept comfortably and toasty warm with the weathershield open about 6". After breakfast I fished awhile but it was difficult.

We all huddled awhile under the lee side of my Vertex tarp in A-frame mode with the windward side fairly low, drank Tea, cocoa, played harmonica and whistle. I was trying to stay warm sitting in my camp chair wearing a 250 weight Merino wool base layer, Columbia Titanium convertible trousers, a PrimaLoft* Gold puffy jacket, Merino Buff, fleece cap, and a full Gore Tex hardshell, but got pretty chilled. I crawled into the hammock after they finally retreated to their tents but quickly got restless and bored holed up in the hammock. I've since invested in a Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer 800 fill waterproof down jacket and a better pair of Gore Tex Pro full zip rain pants with suspenders; both at an additional 25% off from the current sale prices plus free shipping .

This is probably overkill but have any of you NX-TX users contemplated shelling out for a tarp with doors; SuperFly, Winter Dream, or cuben Winter Palace ($$$) to help block gusty variable winds when you're not holed up under the weathershield? They all appear to be hex tarps with a long enough ridgeline, but any idea how the width and side length compares with the Vertex?
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I went with the Superfly for my nx270 and with the top poles feel its perfect for anything nature can throw at you.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Awesome pics and sorry to hear nature threw you a curve. The vertex tarp is good but I'm leaning toward the Superfly. I wonder if it's big enough for the Vertex hammock? It should gobble up the NX/TX just fine.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Warbonnets doors fit perfectly on my vertex tarp. The cloudburst tarp doors, btw. Take them with if you think you'll need them, fair weather, keep them at home.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I asked UGQ about their Winter Dream tarp for a Clark NX-TX. Also got a little news about underquilts.

Hey Brian,
    No problem sharing the email on HF, may help out some other folks. The tarp in the picture is Charcoal Grey which has high light transmission.
    We now own a NX-250 so you should be seeing a dedicated UQ in the next few months.

First we own a Clark NX250 so we are familiar with the hammocks and have used our tarps with this hammock. On our NX250 the poles are not right at the ends but in roughly 20" or so placing the distance between the pole at say 68-72" or so if I recall correctly. From the pole sleeves to the gathered end the hammock tapers quickly. We have diagrams on our website showing all measurement of the tarps but even the smallest WD11 has more coverage than the Vertex Tarp.
    The following are hot links to larger images, it's a little hard to determine overalls with both doors closed, one door closed etc as pitch angles will affect these measurements. We typically pitch the tarp with the doors snapped providing the correct pitch to ensure the door opening is positioned directly under the ends of the tarp ridge. This provides the maximum footprint for the tarp when doors are closed.

If we were in the market for a WD tarp for our Clark NX-250 this is what we'd be looking at.
    Winter Dream 12 w/ 4 Panel Pulls (This would allow for external poles to be added at a later date)
    or
    Winter Dream 12 w/ End Poles (This would be based on our experience that if a tarp has end poles you'll never use the panel pulls.)
    A WD11 may provide the needed coverage but it would be close, a WD13 will certainly provide the needed coverage but really is more than you need for a typical Clark Hammock.
    Hopefully we shed a little light on your questions for you.
    ---
    THANK YOU!!!!
    Paul & Missy
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 11-01-2016 at 00:29.
    Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    I have a WB SF and I like it a heck of alot better then the Vortex that came with me Clark..

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think I am getting ready to pull trigger on that 12' Winter Dream in the low stretch and light weight membrane silpoly(ester), with the dual end-pole mod and 4 panel pulls as a retirement gift to myself. The poles weigh 16 ounces and Clarks are already beasts so I would like the option of using the pullouts with a trekking pole on each side to save weight. I also emailed UGQ asking if they could substitute Fibraplex carbon fiber poles that weigh about 8 ounces and appear to cost only around $20 more than the standard Easton .340 aluminum poles.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Brian

Hammock
    NX - 250, WBBB XLC, Grand Trunk SBP
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    whoopie sllings
    Images
    My nx250 in a superfly tarp from warbonnet outdoors.

20170116_005917.jpg20170116_005904.jpg20170116_005845.jpg

Hammock
    Clark TX-150
    Tarp
    Custom Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got an HG Winter Palace and it's been great. Kept me dry and created a huge area for everyone to hangout in during bad weather.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I'm looking at ordering a UGQ WD13 with dual end poles. It should be nice & roomy inside once set up. Just need to hit up the neighborhood kids some more for their lunch money. (JK!)
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast