HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Mogollon Monster,

If you're having Jared seam seal your tarp, let him know if you want the seams powdered after the sealant dries. His default is not to powder as some folks don't want it done. I recommend the powdering especially for a tarp going to AZ in the summer to prevent unwanted stickage.
    Jim Clark

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images

Cheap DIY tarp for 90 Degree Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by hang-loose View Post
    Anyone ever thought of a myog version of that tarp and had the opportunity to fully measure dimensions?
    Below are photos of my 90 Degree Hammock Tent, with DIY plastic tarp, set up at Crater Lake, outside Silverton, CO last weekend.

The transparent tarp that I am using is a hex-cut 9'x12' DIY design, cut from a 1mil plastic painters's drop cloth ($10 at Lowes) and strengthened using 3M transparent (fiberglass- reinforced) duct tape (also purchased at Lowes). Total cost= @$25. Thanks to the cheap basta*d's Youtube how to video https://youtu.be/FgCUc_aUnb0 for the idea.

This tarp is cut so that I can use it with both my WBRR hammock (12ft orientation), or pivot it and use it with my 90 Degree Hammock Tent (9ft orientation).

You have to be careful with the tarp when handling it, as the plastic is quite thin and will rip if mishandled/ snagged on something- but hey, it only costs $25 and takes 1/2hr to make....

I hope this helps....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sirenobie; 07-21-2017 at 18:05.

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    FYI for those who are interested in some specs for the 90° Hammock Tent tarp made by Zpacks and the SLD Winter Haven-90° Hammock Compatible. The Zpacks tarp is in a green Zpacks double-ended stuff sack which I use instead of the stuff sack that comes with the tarp. The SLD is cat cut, seam sealed, no door snaps and made with the Xenon wide material. The orange SLD stuff sack is the size Jared includes but made in the double-ended style at my request. Both tarps are rigged identically with the following Dutchware products: 2 tarp Flyz, 2 hooks, 8 tarpworms, and about 60' of 1.8mm reflect-it dyneema line.

DSC00138.jpgDSC00139.jpgDSC00140.jpgDSC00141.jpg
    Last edited by sandworm40; 07-21-2017 at 19:27. Reason: Color clarification
    Jim Clark

Thanks for the input!
    Why that shape and not a simple, rectangle one?

What I was initially thinking about was a myog version like the zpacks one

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Great packaged comparison and information Sandworm. Just need to add some deployed pics too.

Great DIY job sirenobie. I think I would have opted out for some heavier mil stuff. When I went to Colorado Outward Bound way back in '69 we used vis-clean plastic for shelters, every night a DIY experience. Hang-loose, I have a vintage 9x12 silnet square tarp that I've had around for many years. It works fine as an inexpensive substitute tarp for most conditions. But the custom fit and doors sure were nice to have during the rain and wind last weekend.

Last Monday I wrote some additional observations from my foray into Canyon Lake. But apparently my internet connection went south and I lost the post. After I had the hammock set up without the tarp and was using it for a chair one party came by and asked what the heck it was.

There were two other camps at Canyon Lake that night, both with hammocks (including the folks who asked what the hammocktent was). Being the congenial sort, I visited with them to see if perhaps they were forum lurkers. However, it turned out both groups had brought their hammocks along for lounging purposes and not to camp in. That means they packed in both tents and a hammock. (The inquisitive group also packed in climbing ropes and gear that brought back memories of humping climbing gear into the Wind Rivers, aka NOT UL camping)The inquisitive group camped just over the hill from me and had an opportunity to get a look the hammock and tarp set up together, both before and after the thunderstorm.

In addition, neither of the hammocks had bug nets. I was so very thankful for the bug net because the mosquitoes were out enjoying the woods too. Even more voracious were the nosee'um gnats that appeared to be having a major jamboree at that particular location.

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Thanks OlTrailDog, and I may get some SLD pics on a trip to Canada next month. I also appreciate your posts about this hammock, lots of good info and glad Luke had you involved in the next version.

Here are a couple of the 90° tarp from March on Hernandez Peak in Alabama's Cheaha State Park.

Hammock tarp.jpgJim's hammock.jpg
    Last edited by sandworm40; 07-20-2017 at 22:41. Reason: Pics added
    Jim Clark

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandworm40 View Post
    FYI for those who are interested in some specs for the 90° Hammock Tent tarp made by Zpacks and the SLD Winter Haven-90° Hammock Compatible. The Zpacks tarp is in a Zpacks double-ended stuff sack which I use instead of the stuff sack that comes with the tarp. The SLD is cat cut, seam sealed, no door snaps and made with the Xenon wide material. The SLD stuff sack is the size Jared includes but made in the double-ended style at my request. Both tarps are rigged identically with the following Dutchware products: 2 tarp Flyz, 2 hooks, 8 tarpworms, and about 60' of 1.8mm reflect-it dyneema line.

DSC00138.jpgDSC00139.jpgDSC00140.jpgDSC00141.jpg
    Can I assume that the tarp in the orange stuff sack is the 90° Hammock Tent tarp made by Zpacks (weight 6.1oz in the photo) and the tarp in the green stuff sack is the SLD Winter Haven-90° Hammock Compatible (weighting 11.6oz)?

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirenobie View Post
    Can I assume that the tarp in the orange stuff sack is the 90° Hammock Tent tarp made by Zpacks (weight 6.1oz in the photo) and the tarp in the green stuff sack is the SLD Winter Haven-90° Hammock Compatible (weighting 11.6oz)?
    Sirenobie, just the other way around. The orange is the SLD, and weighs 1 pound 6.1 ounces. The Zpacks weighs 11.6 ounces, so it's 10.5 ounces lighter than the SLD the way I have them configured. If you look closely you can see that the green stuff sack is cuben fiber.
    Jim Clark

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thanks for the pics Jim. Enjoy the Canada trip. Is it going to be a vehicle, hiking, or water vessel type trip? One word...bug net ;-).

Even though the custom hammocktent tarp is tailored for the 90*, I was more than able to put my pack and border collie underneath during the rain storm last weekend. I did have a trash compactor bag that I use as a pack liner and cover when the need arises as it did that I used too. I call it redundancy, just in case.

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Thanks for the pics Jim. Enjoy the Canada trip. Is it going to be a vehicle, hiking, or water vessel type trip? One word...bug net ;-).
    You're welcome. Have a friend in Ontario taking me and a buddy from NY hiking 3 nights/4 days on the Highlands trail in Algonquin Provincial park. Oh yeah, bug prevention is priority one! They'll be in Hennessy Expedition Asym Zips. I'll get some pics, buddy may video.
    Jim Clark

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast