Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    I think I just don't "get" this hammock. I'm using a Synmat UL 7 in size large/wide which should be perfect, but it's cold below 50 degrees through the pad and the sides. I have to hang the hammock suspension waaaaaaaay high up to get the angles anywhere near right (or just to keep the hammock off the ground), which is a pain. The hammock's ridgeline is so high, that I can't hang the cuben tarp low enough to prevent crossbreezes. I'm 5'10" but I feel too tall - either my head is jammed against the top of the hammock, or my feet against the bottom (which squishes my quilt and makes my feet cold). The hyperextension of the knees is also a problem, though I know that can be modified by playing with beads on the lines.

I mean... this thing seemed perfect on paper. Ultralight, can go to ground, extremely short minimum hang distance, allegedly more comfortable than gathered end. I'm just not having the experience I expected at all. Anyone have any sage words of wisdom before I move back to gathered end?
    Sorry it isn't working out for you. I've been trying to make a GE work for me, and I'm just not feeling it. Similar experience to you I guess, with a different hammock. I wanted to get another before Luke sold out, but I was too late. I'd like first dibs if you decide to sell it off. If you're interested in hearing about my GE let me know. It's a SLD TRail Lair.

Best

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The Gamma UL version 2,0 has been modified to address both the knee hyper-extension and the head/tail ends are much flatter. This would address both your comfort issues. However, at 5' 10" you should do fine in the v. 1.0 too.

Regarding the Synmat 7 UL, it is amazing the difference in tolerance between folks. I have switched over from the Downmat 7 MW when the temperature got to around 40*F. You might need to resort to the Downmat MW/LW or the Thermarest XTherm if you sleep cold.

Hammocks are different than tents in that you usually need to tinker or tweak your setup to get the sweet spot with tree distance, ridge line height, and tarp suspension. Plus, every site seems to require some tweaking to adjust to the different parameters. Experience is the best teacher in figuring out the nuances of each site as they come.

However, Jimswms also has a valid point in that some folks simply get along best with a certain style hammock. For instance, the bridge hammocks are acclaimed for their flat lay and lack of scrunch. Personally, I didn't find a bridge near as comfortable as either my 90* or even my DH Raven and passed it along to some one who appreciates the bridge style.

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    @fsupaintball

What can happen is when you sleep on your side in the 90* your knees or hip will touch the sides and you could feel cold.
    My limited experience sofar is that in cold conditions an underquilt that covers the sides is welcome.

Something like a hammock sock especially designed for this hammock would be nice to have some more wind protection. I agree with the high ridge line making a decent cover more difficult.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk
    Last edited by GregfromHolland; 06-18-2017 at 06:19.

So I'm planning a parted tarp ridgeline instead of a continuous one and am figuring which bling to get.

2 of those small hooks for the ends of each half ridgeline are pretty much set.

but I can't decide for either stingerz, wasps or flies for tightening/attachment.

the differences seem negligible or am I missing something?

the only major difference I see is that wasps could be moved to have the tightening point till where the ridgeline doubles closer to the tree, but how relevant is that?

Anything special to consider for a segmented 90° tarp ridgeline?
    The only thing I can think of is that it'll hang even higher than others...

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    hang-loose,

Here are photos of how my tarp is rigged:

DSC00134.jpg
    I use a Zpack cuben fiber double ended stuff sack, attach line with small loop to the tarp ridge with a Dutch tarp flyz on loop, a Dutch hook on other end of line.

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136.jpg
    This configuration allows a single line coming from the tree

DSC00137.jpg
    or the line looping around the tree and forming a V.
    Jim Clark

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang-loose View Post
    So I'm planning a parted tarp ridgeline instead of a continuous one and am figuring which bling to get.

2 of those small hooks for the ends of each half ridgeline are pretty much set.

but I can't decide for either stingerz, wasps or flies for tightening/attachment.

the differences seem negligible or am I missing something?

the only major difference I see is that wasps could be moved to have the tightening point till where the ridgeline doubles closer to the tree, but how relevant is that?

Anything special to consider for a segmented 90° tarp ridgeline?
    The only thing I can think of is that it'll hang even higher than others...
    I use Stingerz clipped to the D rings and they work great. It gives me plenty of adjustability.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

So the weight difference from flyz to stingerz seems really negligible - especially considering the added value of the included biners.

The only real difference is with the wasps that would enable to move the 'V' closer to the tree or the tarp. Yet I can't think of any benefit for that.
    Any use cases for this I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    So the weight difference from flyz to stingerz seems really negligible - especially considering the added value of the included biners.

The only real difference is with the wasps that would enable to move the 'V' closer to the tree or the tarp. Yet I can't think of any benefit for that.
    Any use cases for this I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
    Flys allow you to slide along the ridgeline as well

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

How's that?
    Looping it to the ridgeline with a prussik or by itself somehow?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    How's that?
    Looping it to the ridgeline with a prussik or by itself somehow?
    https://youtu.be/8k77xq1LOXs

This should explain everything for you.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast