UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    On pc that only works with a number pad, not the top row number keys

on Android devices, if you download the Google keyboard and turn off the device's preloaded on screen keyboard (ESPECIALLY if you have a Samsung) then you have all sorts of symbols available, plus the autocorrect/autofill works a lot better. Just like mentioned about the iphone, some symbols if you do a long press, will give you a choice of symbols...

For instance if I long press the "1” I have a choice of ¹,½,⅓,¼,⅛
    "2": ²,⅔
    "*": ★,†,‡
    "^": ←,↑,↓,→

The preloaded one from Samsung also does this, but it's not as extensive, and the autocorrect is terrible

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah, and on Mac, there's a hot key combo that pulls up the list of special characters, but I don't recall what it is.

On any device with a web browser, another trick is to search for the Unicode character chart, then you can copy and paste what you need, it's a little more of a pain, but it will work.

Hammock
    2nd hammock DUTCH CLOSEOUT
    Tarp
    BlueStone
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings/ RL
    °

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    On pc that only works with a number pad, not the top row number keys

on Android devices, if you download the Google keyboard and turn off the device's preloaded on screen keyboard (ESPECIALLY if you have a Samsung) then you have all sorts of symbols available, plus the autocorrect/autofill works a lot better. Just like mentioned about the iphone, some symbols if you do a long press, will give you a choice of symbols...

For instance if I long press the "1” I have a choice of ¹,½,⅓,¼,⅛
    "2": ²,⅔
    "*": ★,†,‡
    "^": ←,↑,↓,→

The preloaded one from Samsung also does this, but it's not as extensive, and the autocorrect is terrible

I'm voting this "most helpful comment of the day". I've been trying to figure out for a while how to make that symbol on the phone. Samsung keyboard has now been replaced.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I don't quite hit 30° myself. Usually around 24 1/2° is where I wind up with it. You can tell it's got more stress on the straps though, that's for sure. Also, long press on 0 works for Windows phone as well.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

º Swype keyboard on Samsung, long press on o.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    Yes, the angle matters!! If you don't believe it go take a rigging class (as in cranes and lifting). When you get past 30° the forces on your straps start to increase exponentially. If you are on a healthy oak tree it might not matter, but if you are on a tree that has some unseen weakness you could push the limit. It is worth trying to stay in the ballpark. That being said, I don't take a clinometer with me. If you have your ridgeline around 83% you can use it as a gauge. If you can play a tune on your ridgeline your hang angle is too "flat". If you have sag in the ridgeline the angle is too high. Find a nice spot in the middle.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Ridgeline? Still try and keep 30 degree ?

I can be wrong here--as I've been known to guess a lot and parrot on subjects that I only know a little about. I believe a roughly 30 degree hang angle will give you close to an 83 percent hammock ridge line Distance without using a hammock ridge line. I think these two variables ( 30 degree suspension angle and 83 percent distance of hammock ridge line without actually using hammock ridge line) are mathematically linked?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I can be wrong here--as I've been known to guess a lot and parrot on subjects that I only know a little about. I believe a roughly 30 degree hang angle will give you close to an 83 percent hammock ridge line Distance without using a hammock ridge line. I think these two variables ( 30 degree suspension angle and 83 percent distance of hammock ridge line without actually using hammock ridge line) are mathematically linked?

There's a lengthy discussion about that in the sticky, "Origins of 83.333% [5/6?] guide".
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thanks Scarecrow, I don't know the math--I'm glad some people have interests and talents to do the hard work needed to solve these questions.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    in a perfect world, which never happens. If you go by the "limits", then you have a safety net factor built in, you can go outside of the limits and be ok, just know that you're then taking that extra risk. Many people go most of their lives pushing those limits and they get complacent about it, but all it takes is ONE time...

I once watched some young kid on a crotch rocket with his girlfriend on the back went screaming past me around a cloverleaf on an interstate pushing the friction envelope... Layed over at 45° of more, the girl's head came within inches of the back of the bus that was in front of me... His head didn't even come close, so he had no idea, but she was on the back and sitting higher than him so must have felt the closeness of that bus...I thought for sure the whole thing was going to end up a bloody mess. Change just one factor, and it would have been.

Of course, that's NOT a hammock. If your straps or whoopies fail, or the hammock tears, odds are you'll only have bruises to show for it. A tree or a widow-maker coming down on top of you can be much more serious, but chances are that won't be caused by anything you do...a tree big enough to have a widow-maker will be too big to be shaken much by you in your hammock. A tree small enough and weak enough for you to bend or snap with too much hangle, shouldn't be hung from at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123