DIY UQ question: Polyester batting vs. Climashield

Last year, in my first foray into hammock camping, I pieced together an underquilt out of soft Tyvek, double-sided carpet tape, and a $10 queen sized comforter from Ikea. The Tyvek is on the bottom, the comforter is folded in half on top. As I completely lack sewing skills I did not cut the comforter at all so it's pretty long. Total cost with shock cord and all bits was ~$35 IIRC.

Pros of this super-cheap UQ: cheap, surprisingly warm (still toasty @25F!). I think part of the warmth is due to the Tyvek's effective wind blocking.
    Cons: Very bulky & hard to compress. Not light (44 oz I think...used a whole roll of tape!). The fatal flaw is that it is narrow (38"?) for my wide shoulders and it can't effectively block breezes that sneak under the tarp.

As I still lack sewing skills and am saving my pennies for a proper TQ, I am going to do another taped-Tyvek UQ to fix the flaws. Weight isn't much of an issue for me with this but having it pack smaller would be nice.

• Here's the key question: How does regular, run-of-the-mill polyester batting compare to Climashield, warmth-wise? Will a layer of 5 oz Climashield perform better than the double layer of maybe 0.6" of polyester batting I'm using now in the comforter? Or should I go for 7.5 oz? I'm aiming to still be warm at 25F.

Here's a picture of the existing UQ with the Warbonnet Blackbird I used it with last year. I've now switched to a wide Trailrunner from Simply Light Designs which is awesome:

DIY underquilt reduced.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    My take would be to make another so you have two. Your first works for relatively cool weather, now set yourself up a different temp. My first project was an underquilt, and I was not a sewer. It turned out just fine even though I had to rip a couple stitches to correct mistakes. I will tell you this, ClimaShield is fantastic! You do not have to quilt it, it will stay put on it's own. I did a 2.5 + a 3.6 (They were out of 5.0)and I am toasty into the 40's. Ripstop by the Roll gives approximate temps for the different weights. It is bulkier than down, but very light, and oh so much cheaper. I have a large pack so compressed size doesn't matter to me.

• + New Posts