Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    My brain is SO SLOW that I sure don't want it to freeze up!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    hmm- then why does frostbite strike preferentially at hands and feets and not head? they are all extremities with roughtly equal surface areas and insultaions..in fact hands and feet tend to be covered more completely than head, yet still get Fb sooner..
    KM (yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial...)

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    KM, that would support the lose-more-heat-from-the-head theory, since there's obviously enough heat being produced to stave off frostbite.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Another thing to consider when looking at heat lost through the head is breathing. Think of all the heat exchange occurring in the sinuses and lungs. I wouldn't doubt if a large percentage of "head" heat loss doesn't occur this way.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    All I know is that I no longer have any natural insulation on the top of my head, so yeah, it gets cold. The good news is that my eardrums and nasal passages no longer get cold. Apparently, the eardrums and nasal passages must become very sensitive to cold among men as they age since the body decided at some point to relocate all the hair on the top of my head to my ears and nose!

For the record, aging sucks!
    Amen and Amen!!!!
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    hmm- then why does frostbite strike preferentially at hands and feets and not head? they are all extremities with roughtly equal surface areas and insultaions..in fact hands and feet tend to be covered more completely than head, yet still get Fb sooner..
    Oooo, I can answer that one as a frostbite victim!

It's just physiology. When the body is cold it pulls the blood away from the surface and extremities. It fights (sometimes) too hard to keep the core, which includes the brain holder, warm by pulling the blood back in an effort to prevent spending energy to heat it. Overall to sustaining life, the body doesn't put much effort into hands and feet. Add the fact that it is more likely that you'll be sticking your hands or feet into something cold, like water, than it is you'll be dipping your head into a snowbank. Unless, you are just learning how to snowshoe. In that case, the odds of your head getting planted in a snowbank are significantly higher.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

It's just physiology. When the body is cold it pulls the blood away from the surface and extremities. It fights (sometimes) too hard to keep the core, which includes the brain holder, warm by pulling the blood back in an effort to prevent spending energy to heat it. Overall to sustaining life, the body doesn't put much effort into hands and feet. Add the fact that it is more likely that you'll be sticking your hands or feet into something cold, like water, than it is you'll be dipping your head into a snowbank. Unless, you are just learning how to snowshoe. In that case, the odds of your head getting planted in a snowbank are significantly higher.

First off, you are dead right on the physiology.

Secondly, I hate it when you guys make me laugh outloud at work.. STOP IT..

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    interesting, I've never seen you at any of the company holiday parties!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I watched a program last spring on Nova? Discovery? about an army study done with an engineer and a soldier in full battle dress. The soldier was placed in a room and extreme heat pumped in for 30 minutes. The soldier looked to be in distress when the engineer came in with a wrist cooling system. The soldier cooled down and even tolerated the heat after about 3 minutes. The room was then chilled to the point where the soldier was shivering and losing mental capacity. Again the engineer to the rescue with wrist warming technology and the soldier recovered quickly. All that convinced me that warming/cooling the wrists (and actually the back of the knees as well) is very effective in addition to a good hat. I've been eying Grizz's wrist warmer video with interest!
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

I agree with Cannibal. However, it's abosolutely necessary to keep your body core and brain warm. True, from what I have read, the brain will cut off blood supply to the hands and feet first, then the limbs in order to keep the vitals within living temps. When I feel my hands or feet getting cold, I cover my head and my shoulders for sure. Much blood is pumped to the head and it does lose a lot of heat, also your shoulders.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast