Newbie questions.

Hi Everyone,

I am joining AmeriCorp this year, and at least two of my positions (and the ones I'm most likely going to take) require camping at least half the time. one is in Northern Florida (bug-net a MUST) and one will be all over the Pacific Northwest.

I currently have a Castaway hammock by Pawleys Island (this is what it looks like:http://images.smarter.com/180x180x15/48/12/26548612.jpg) mainly for goofing around. I was wondering if this would work for a camping hammock, and what my best options for mosquito nets and tarps would be if so.

I've heard of the tube net, and that sounds promising. I don't mind doing a bit of uncomplicated stitching. I've also heard of some folks just draping netting over the ridge line, but seems like there would still be plenty of ways for bugs to get in.

Do the blue lawn tarps really work as a rainfly? I'd be pretty unhappy if I or my stuff got all soggy in the night. Other suggestions?

Would I be better off just to ditch the hammock I have and go for an HH?

Also I see a lot about closed cell foam pads, but not much about open cell foam pads like Thermarest... I saw one lady's journal on Trail Journals that said she used her thermarest and was comphy... Is that a bad Idea? I already have a thermarest is mainly the reason I'm asking.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is all been asked a million times before. I tried to read the newbie set ups and sift through the threads before I posted.
    Last edited by cynsofdm; 12-23-2009 at 18:15.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Welcome. If you are going to do that much camping, you may want to go with a top entry hammock. The HH are good hammocks, but it gets old getting in and out from the bottom, not being able to organize from the top. Best choice would be a Warbonnet Blackbird in my opinion. The big blue tarps should work as something to keep you dry, but of course you wouldn't want to put it in a pack and carry it too far due to the bulk, mainly.
    Closed cell pads won't store moisture and generally don't compress so you get good insulation from them. If you are going to use pads you may want to buy a double bottom hammock so you won't have the thing in your working/sleeping space and also to keep you from sweating by being into direct contact with it. Hope this helps. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A spreader bar hammock for camping? If it works for you fine, but there are better options out there for camping. Particularly when using a bug solution of some kind. Hennessy is a fine choice, and the Warbonnet Blackbird, and the JRB Bridge, and the Switchback, and, and, and. You're going to pay a little bit, but any of these would be great for what you are doing.

A blue tarp will work just fine. You won't have the best looking set-up in the forest, but you will certainly stay dry. If weight isn't a concern, you can look at plenty of tarps below $100 that will get the job done with a little more style, but it's only style and weight not the fact that they will keep you drier.

I started my hammocking adventure with a Thermarest self inflating pad. They work fine. In Florida, bugs are going to come at you from above and below. The little bloodsuckers can bite your butt through a single layer of fabric. So, you'll want either something below you (pad or underquilt of some kind) or a hammock with a double layer of fabric. If it were me, I'd opt for the double layer if you're going to be spending time in Florida during the summer, which is March - January. A pad or any kind of warm underquilt will likely be too much and cause you to be uncomfortable.

Welcome!
    Trust nobody!

Cannibal, I don't think I have a spreader bar hammock... I'm not sure about that term but it's a nylon parachute hammock... funny thing is when I look it up on google I get the net/wooden ones for like backyards...

When you say double layer, you are saying that something like the no-see-um mesh enclosure tube would not work? or the hammock bliss cocoon. http://www.hammockbliss.com/No_See_U...et_Cocoon.html

Actually my hammock looks a lot like the hammock bliss ones too.

Mule: Thanks for the tip on the HH, and info on the closed cell pads. I've never seen my thermarest store moisture... I think the lining is water-resistant. Good point about the heat. You think I'd be better of with no pad in Florida? I was thinking the pad might help with air circulation. But mainly I was thinking of the pad for the pacific north west. I liked the 4 season set up I saw on Hennesy.

Thanks so much for all the tips.

• + New Posts