Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

NJ > Stokes St Forest > Oct 21-23, 2016 > 4th Annual Hang

We had a nice hang at Steam Mill Campground, maybe 16 people on Friday and 20 on Saturday. Friday night, I urged and cajoled others to help me get my Guide Gear 12 x 12 POS tarp over the fire before the rain started up. I don't think the tarp was up more than 15 minutes when it started raining. Later we set up some pop up tents and stayed dry by the fire. Winds were high and it rained all night (gusts up to 30-40 mph, supposedly), but I think everyone slept dry. I heard a few widowmakers crash during the night, and Saturday morning I even saw a whole tree fall about 75 yards from our campsite.

The excellent meals kind of blurred together. Saturday night, Brock Leigh served a 13 lb. brisket that had been smoked for 12 hours, and there was so much other good eats. I lapsed into a food coma in my hammock by 10 pm. Sunday breakfast there was also too much food, as usual.

For weekend activities, we had knife throwing and cornhole tossing, and plenty of talk about Trackers. The knife throwing was a special catastrophe, because the ground was covered in leaves. If the knife missed its target it disappeared under the leaves and sometimes took a long time to find. One knife was lost Saturday evening and wasn't found until 7 or 8 people swept the area Sunday morning. The knife was located after a half hour or so, four feet from the target.

It was great to meet everyone I hadn't met, and a pleasure to see old friends.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-23-2016 at 23:52.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    And who knew that Phil Jackson was, deep-down, a die-hard Boston Celtics fan?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    And who knew that Phil Jackson was, deep-down, a die-hard Boston Celtics fan?
    Yep, that was the biggest shock of the weekend. Who knew he was a hanger.

Still it was cool to hear how he really felt about Kobe.

New reality TV show, Celebrity Hammockers.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Warbird BB xlc
    Tarp
    Agua Quest Guide L
    Insulation
    Ghost Pepper, C. R
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My first hang with this group. Very nice people willing to share their equipment information. Great food. Learned what a "Tracker" is and how its used with the woodsmen, who by the way reminded me of my son. Looking forward to the next one, hoping to have my new Loco Libre Quilt by then.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR, Dream Hammock TB
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    Was a great trip, good to see old friends whom i have not seen for to long, and new ones!
    Had a great group, great food, and fun times where had!
    Special thanks to Monkey and Brock for the amazing dead animals that where consumed.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that nobody was wanting for more food! Great stuff everyone.

For us, this hang was very much a test to see if the kids would "take" to camping. They have lots of hang time in the house, but this was their first outdoors. In spite of the rain, wind and cool temp, they made it through. Well, Katelyn has an unusually high fear of bears and she did go home for a few hours Sat afternoon. We were almost certain she wouldn't return and were quite surprised when she did. We attribute this largely to the friendly group atmosphere, so thanks to everyone for helping her to overcome her fears a bit. We'll know for sure by how she reacts next time we ask them to go with us. Kloe on the other hand, fell in love with camping. She would have stayed there all week if she could. Odd because she's the one who can't even stand the sight of bugs. In a few years she'll be the one out there skinning snakes for dinner

And a doggoneit to those two guys who forced me to try out their wbrr's. Wouldn't ya know we got home and ordered a netless DL. Sheesh. We may drive the worst running vehicles on the planet, but we always have some nice hammocks. Priorities ya know. Thanks again for your help guys!

As an aside:
    I learned a few things, or at least confirmed suspicions. This was our first time actually using the HG standard w/doors, which turned out to be too small for double hanging in blowing rain. Duh. Nice tarp but will definitely be making changes. While mylar eblankets may be fine for keeping blown rain off the uq while no one is in it, they are the pits when a warm body is, even with the ends wide open. In a word, condensation. This was anticipated but not to the level we experienced. Our diy costco tq's worked well one inside the other, however it was quite a wrestling match to get into in the dark. Will definitely be adding a few snaps to keep them "synched".

Hammock
    Chameleon!!!!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle
    Had a great time with great folks and great food. Had a fantastic time regaling my husband with everything he missed. Hope to have him out with me again before too long. Thanks, Everyone!

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aircoder View Post
    Oh no you didn't!?!? :O

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    No I most certainly did not. Just felt weird going to whole day with out saying the word.
    Not even thinking about it... well at least not this week.
    To rich for my blood at this moment.
    I need some waxed pants, possibly a new hammock depending on the ourcome of my repair request one of them Boreal shirts... and then ummm yea maybe maybe maybe.
    Unless i have a 3am ordering oopsie.. you know us compulsive midnight shoppers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast