Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm a new WBRR owner and I'm wondering if you have the dimensions or the pattern you used for your UQ. I don't have anyone to lie in the hammock while I take measurements like you did, so I'm a little worried about getting it right.

Now that it's been a couple of years since you made your CDT UQ, are you still happy with the results? Did the addition of the synthetic insulating material make a big difference? Did you consider completely taking the Costco throws apart and building a more "typical" UQ by sewing in baffles cut from no-see-um, then putting the down back in the finished quilt/s?

You did a great job from what I can see . . . it looks like a Lynx.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Hey Tao,
    It’s still working great; I used it a couple weeks ago on a weekend hike - temps were low 40’s at night. This was without the additional button-on smaller quilt.
    As far as measurements, I can get that for you sometime this weekend. The one thing I remember about the build was that the inside layer of fabric needed a pretty big differential cut to keep my backside from crushing the insulation under my butt.
    As far as disassembling the quilt, that sounds like a nightmare. I would recommend the faux baffles as suggested in GadgetUK437’s thread if you wanted to try to eliminate the sewn-through baffle design.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    looks pretty spectacular

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Thanks!
    Tao, I can’t find my old notes on the build. However, you should be able to measure the ridgerunner itself using a flexible sewing tape measure, then apply those measurements to your underquilt. However, the inner fabric of the quilt needs to be about 1-1/2 inches narrower per side where your butt sits tto avoid compressing the insulation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    Thanks!
    Tao, I can’t find my old notes on the build. However, you should be able to measure the ridgerunner itself using a flexible sewing tape measure, then apply those measurements to your underquilt. However, the inner fabric of the quilt needs to be about 1-1/2 inches narrower per side where your butt sits tto avoid compressing the insulation.
    No problem, Peabody . . . thanks for checking. I'm back onliine for the first time in eight days and wanted to check this thread right away - sorry for the delay. I agree that completely taking the CDT apart would not be fun and the faux baffles make more sense.

I have an inexpensive Brother sewing machine I found on craigslist that I think will do everything I need it to do. I plan to hang the RR and take measurements without anyone in it, but I don't think that will make a huge difference.

Instead of having port/starboard channels, I'm planning on running them fore/aft and cutting the first UQ at ~25" (five channels) and attaching it to the RR at the spreader tips with shock cord. I'll then make an ~35" (seven remaining channels) overquilt from the remaining CDT. Like your modular quilt, it will overlay the first quilt with the channels over the first quilt's sewn-through baffles and attach with Kam Snaps. With the addition of a pad in the double-layer RR, I should have plenty of options for most weather conditions - always a good idea here in Colorado - and by cutting the two modular quilts from a single CDT, I'll still have the second one for something else (top quilt, maybe?).

Thanks again for posting your information and pictures, Peabody. I'm inspired!
    Last edited by TaoJones; 12-29-2018 at 14:15.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I actually like to supplement with a pad in my ridgerunner and it gives me a go to ground option. Take a look at some dimensions for top quilts. I would go with a 50” wide at a minimum. Good luck on your build!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12