Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    After you find a W method that is too your liking, you can fold it and ball whip it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Can you describe this process in a little more detail? Thanks!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Start with a hammock blank that has an end channel, in this case the end channel won't be load bearing so a small single stitch open ended hem will do. Tablecloth blanks worth.

Thread a line thru the hem and tie into a continuous loop. Again this will not be load bearing so it isn't necessary to splice a continuous loop.

Execute a W fold of your choosing.

Go ahead and pull the slack out of the loop without undoing the fold.

Now take loop, put a single twist in it and loop it over the end of the fold, twist and repeat. Do this until you've used up all of the slack in the loop and you should have a fixed ball at the end of the hammock.

Larkshesd or girth hitch a continuous loop below the ball and tighten.

Alternatively, instead of creating a continuous loop thru the hem you can just thread a line and after the W fold, wrap the line around the hammock a bunch of times before the fold.

I prefer using a loop for a number of reasons. Easy to do and undo as needed, stays installed when washing the hammock, if sewing a double or triple stitched end hem, can easily be converted to a channeled hammock. Assuming you tie with double or triple fisherman's knot.

Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Excuse my lack of technical terms- but do you mean take the loop and make like a "pony tail" around the pleats?

Charlotte

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Excuse my lack of technical terms- but do you mean take the loop and make like a "pony tail" around the pleats?

Charlotte
    Yes. I like the way you put that.

You do it near the end, but below the lowest edge of a pleat. The idea being to lock the pleat in place.

H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    In my experience a W whip (exactly as described above) will add some tension to the edges and middle of the hammock body. This will result in a slightly flatter lie but a stiffer feel, in my opinion.

Hennessy whipping starts with the same "tube" and folds edges into the center repeating several times (this is in the patent). The result of that is similar to W whipping but even more pronounced. Personally, I don't care for it but to each his own.

I tend to waffle between W and plain old gathered but all in all I like gathered the best.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hey Ratdog do you know of a video that shows that technique? My imagination isn't that great although I'm sure it's a great explanation.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hey JohnsPenn....I think it's kinda like wrapping a hair tie around hair. He puts a line in a end channel and ties the ends to make a loop. After making the W and gathering it together, I think he folds the end down so the end channel with the line is down on the pleats 4 or 5"....then do the hair wrap thing. Another way is to not tie the ends of the line in the end channel. Do the W and pleats, fold it over and just tie a West County whip. http://www.animatedknots.com/westcou...om#ScrollPoint You could use a twist tie to hold things together before whipping if you need to....whip and remove the hair tie. I think having the line in the end channel just makes redoing the whipping easier. I think this is sorta what Ratdog is doing.....if not, I think it would still work. Have a good one.

EDIT: I misread what Ratdog wrote and he doesn't say anything about folding it down. But I think the wrap is like a hair tie wrap. One thing I'm puzzled about with Ratdogs method is how would you pull the long edges out to take the flop out of the sides? I guess I need to try. I'd still be inclined to just skip with the end channel....do the W and pleats, twist tie to hold things (pull the long edges out too) then just do the whipping. If it doesn't feel right, twist tie and undo the whipping and make adjustments. During the adjustment stage you could use something easier to untie for whipping.....

EDIT: Ratdog does mention using the double sheetbend as a way to make off while messing with the side adjustments. I'd still hold things in place with a twist tie just so you don't loose what you've got. double_sheet_bend.jpg
    Last edited by wa4chq; 10-25-2016 at 07:02.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have experimented with different whips and I say it's absolutely worth trying it. Many people say they don't notice a difference, but I did. The problem with the W-whip is that it's far from being exact. You can do three trials with the same piece of fabric and get a different result every time. I found a simple accordion fold more reliable, but I love the Hennessy whip. Of course no whip is going to improve comfort if the fabric and/or dimensions of the hammock are unsuitable for you.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Thanks for the info, Hutzelbein.....it's definitely worth trying. And besides, it's fun!
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    A couple things, a sheet bend works, double is not necessary. I've used a double but I use a regular sheet bend more often.

I also use an accordion fold much more often than a basic W. The accordion fold will have folds of various widths depending on how much of the edge I want to adjust.

Yes, when ball whipping a W or accordion, folding the end back down creates more of a lump of fabric to be whipped so you wind up with a larger ball on the end.

Don't know of any videos. I'll look around for a hammock blank to make a quick vid to show what I'm talking about.

H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast