Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophedude View Post
    This is a situation where you need to request to speak to the head of campus security and ask about your interaction with the officer. They often have little to no role in drafting school policies, it just their job to enforce them. Try not to take it out so hard on someone just doing their job. Now if you find out there isn't an official policy against hammocks then you can make a complaint. If there is a policy, address it through your student government. I've seen them work wonders with policies like these where they can work with school administration to come up with reasonable guidelines for the use of hammocks on campus.

On a side note, if you end up staging a "hang in" in the president's office, please post pictures.
    +1 on this approach. I've been a barefooter for the last 7 years. Countless encounters concerning my unshod state at establishments where there were no postings and/or vague policies. Politely ask to see policy, and adjust behavior accordingly. After about a year or so, I grew weary of having to plead my case and/or take the time to talk to policy makers and now carry flip flops wherever I go...

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    There are people who, if they don't like something, say I'm not going to do it. Then there are people who, if they don't like something, say nobody should be allowed to do it. Sad...2016 America..

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    "Have them being written policy within the established manual specifying this particular activity or have a nice day." Essentially "because I said so" does not count.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Just bought an ENO Doublenest set
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Eno Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by xxskinnyxx View Post
    Well i just had a very interesting encounter. I was at my college just chiilin in my hammock. i was set up beside our beautiful pond about 2-3feet off the ground, studying; when i felt a tap on my shoulder. i turn around and it is a security officer who informed me that i need to take down my hammock immediately. Confused i asked why and she just said, well because its policy. i then asked well, what policy might that be, because i really want to know if i carry a hammock with me where ever i go.

again, she just stated that.... well, its policy. feeling a little defensive i posted the question, I ride a motorcycle through here 5 times a week and almost get hit 3 out of those times, and your saying you dont have a policy against potentially the most self endangering form of transportation, but you have a no hammock policy at a pond 300ft away from the nearest building on a nature trail? again... its policy.

Frustrated and completely angry, i reluctantly agreed to get up. At that time over her radio i heard, Tell the student that if he dosent take down i will be forced to call orange county police and we will let them have it. So i proceeded to pack up and head off to type this post.

Now my question to the users of this forum is: is there any way i could form a competent argument against this or am i between a rock and a hard place? I would like to continue using my hammock but if i cant, well i cant. Has this ever happened to you or something similar? and if so is there a way i can solve this with out it turning into a "yah huuh, well na uuh" argument?
    Be as your Mother taught you polite, ask to see the policy from the head of security or the Dean of Students.
    Any day in the Bush is better than a day at work!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I doubt that there is an actual policy against hammocks. Rather, you are likely dealing with an interpretation of a policy that isn't very clear to begin with. As you proceed, keep in mind that you are going to encounter a whole lot of people who truly feel they are doing their job. They are, and many care about doing their job well. You don't have to agree with their approach, but telling them how they are wrong or other such things is going to go nowhere.

Knowing what I know (I interface with college admin quite a bit), one way to proceed would be to see if there is an outdoor club on your campus. If there is, join it. Start a discussion on hammock use on campus, and use the inertia that builds to constructively approach members of the administration who are willing to listen to constructive dialogue coming from a group of like-minded individuals. That is your foot in the door. Once you make that contact, you'll make more contacts quickly, and they will be the people who can best help you. They do want to help, and you should help them to help you. Everybody gets a warm fuzzy feeling over that.

If any of the intermediate people feel that their toes have been stepped on, they are going to quickly decide that they have better things to do. They won't think that you are wrong, but will be unwilling to hitch their wagon to a proposal that is sure to go up the reporting structure to their superiors. The old adage about catching flies with honey instead of vinegar applies here.

It is also sometimes helpful to have a backup plan. What about the possibility of converting some unused space into a place to hang? Colleges and Universities always have some properties in their real estate portfolio that would fit the bill. You could give them the opportunity to tout how hammock-friendly they are, and you would have a space to hang. Proposing a solution at the same time a problem is stated often goes a long way.

OK, I've written too much, perhaps. Good luck!

Hammock
    DH Nighthawk
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I'm watching this thread, because it's in my own backyard. Very interesting.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xxskinnyxx View Post
    Now my question to the users of this forum is: is there any way i could form a competent argument against this or am i between a rock and a hard place?
    Their land, their rules; deal with it. The reason they threatened to call the cops is not because you were in a hammock. It's because, by refusing to follow the wishes of the landowner's agent (security staff), you became a trespasser. I'd all but guarantee that there is a bit of fine print on a sign somewhere that says by accessing the land you agree to abide by both the posted rules and the directives of staff (and with any other posted signs or warnings). Even public landowners have broad rights to limit activities and access to their lands. And no, there doesn't have to be a written policy declaring it wrong before-hand. They can decide on the spot and that's that. I'm sure there is no written policy against singing Barry Manilow tunes while wearing a Speedo, pouring blue paint on your head, and squeezing a rubber chicken, but I'd bet you'd be asked to leave if you tried it.

Don't you have better things to do? I assume you didn't enroll to study trespass and land use law. This is the grave injustice you are going to spend time fighting against?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I reflect back to the Viet Nam days and hippy protests in the street. As much as I might be sympathetic to their protest, I could see the way they were interacting with others was not very effective. They were putting "My Way" above the goal of getting their message across. Contrasted to this, I had some Mormons knock on my door. They were clean, dressed neatly, and their first question was almost an apologetic, "Is this a good time to talk?" indicating they were respectful of my time and aware of the intrusion. Understand that the above isn't a comment against hippies or for Mormons; it's about style.

If you want to start someone moving in your direction, I think you first have to meet them in their direction. What some people view as "giving in" is actually strategic action to achieve a goal that's larger than "personal identity".

I hope you get the policy changed or verified. Note that they are probably concerned about damage to the trees or being sued by a student who's suspension breaks and they fall down. Show how requiring adequate (wide) webbing suspension will protect the trees is easy. Showing how they won't be open to lawsuits if someone falls and breaks their arm (or is emotionally damaged because of embarrassment) is a bigger challenge.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and pad
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Another good idea would be to read 'how to win friends and influence people' before trying to get the policy changed. Some of the points have been brought up, but it is a very good resource, not to mention it is a good book anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Set up a meeting with whomever would be in charge of making policy,and enforcing policy.Set up a hammock club for study time,show the administration a relaxed mind is a sponge,and a hammock is by far the best natural way to relax,grades will improve,administration looks good,school receives funding........everybody wins! It's called ,beating them at their own game!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast