DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images

how do I hang when the hooks are too high?

Does anyone know how to problem solve your attachment points for hanging being too high? The hooks in my room are 13' apart and 6'8" high and someone very nice plugged a ten or eleven length quilt into Derek's hanging app and it looks like the hooks are too high, but I can't change them, they are where they are. I know something is off cause I don't I really never get a good lay, never have my ridgeline even close to how it's supposed to be, not taut at all unless the hammock is being stretched between the straps more then feels right looking at it and getting in and out. How would you hang you hammock if those where your circumstances?

Oh, also, I use eno atlas straps, hang them off the hooks and then use a carabiners on each end to hook the hammock to the straps. Not fancy, but a system that works well when hanging from trees outside. I am open and flexible to changing the suspension system for sure, I just can't change where the hooks are anytime soon and want to hang in my room.

I just got a beautiful new Dream Hammock and I wish I was falling asleep in it right now. Any help, suggestions, ideas- all would be so welcome!

I'm not sure this is the right place or right way to ask this question on this forum. so if I should be doing it differently please tell me.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    With a 110" ridgeline, 30* angle, 13' between mount points, 18" sit height, suspension length of 26.6", the hang point should be approx. 63". To get the hang point to 80" would require approx. 35" sit height. Thus getting into the hammock would require a (moveable?) platform underneath approx. 17" high. Either that or figure out a way to effectively lower the ceiling mount points (welded metal frame?).

Both of those ideas are ridiculous of course.

If you absolutely can't mount to the walls, the best alternative would be to use a stand.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    If you were to switch to whoopie slings, you'd have much better adjustability and also longer potential hanging distance between anchor points over the Atlas Straps.

They're easy to splice yourself, if you're up to a little DIY. HTH

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Why can't you change the hook(s) location?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    If you were to switch to whoopie slings, you'd have much better adjustability and also longer potential hanging distance between anchor points over the Atlas Straps.

They're easy to splice yourself, if you're up to a little DIY. HTH
    Seems to me that 13' apart may be a bit tight for Whoopieslings. For precise adjustability, if you want to change suspension, I'd go with straps and buckles....my preference is for Arrowhead equipment's kit $35. Changing your suspension will not solve your problem however.

For the height challenge you face....if you cannot lower the hooks, the only thing you can do is "raise the floor." As was mentioned before, you are going to be about three feet off the floor....get a step stool and you'll be fine (unless perhaps you can put a couch or bed or something else soft under you).

I'd try the step stool idea even before changing suspension....the only thing the new suspension will give you is a bit more precision in adjustment.

You may find that, even though not easy to do, moving the hooks will be the ultimate solution especially if you like your foot end a bit higher than the head end. If they are currently equal in height (which may be another reason you cannot get comfortable) you may have two challenges, too high and too even.

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    You could make a spreader bar type system that separated your suspension to just the right width above your ridgeline. I would try using a chain link fence toprail and put a cap on each end that the toprail runs through on the fence. Then feed the suspension through the caps. The spreader bar should be just slightly wider than the connection points on your hammock.

Yep you need a ridge pole instead of ridge line. It will keep your hammock at proper sag even with a short hang distance.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I echo Rifleman and Double - Ridgepole. Think TurtleDog stand without tripods. No Problem. If you make it 13' (use end caps to avoid wall damage) the pole will be as high above you as possible giving less chance to hit your head on it.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Definitely utilize a stand, friend. Much easier to adjust, no more holes in the walls, and it can be moved to a different space much easier than the hooks. Its easier to adjust head-foot hieght too. I find that having my foot-end above my head-end is pretty important for my good lay. If your ridgleine isnt tight, you're gunna have a bad time.image.jpg

Edit: I just took that pic, look at how handy it has become for the hat and the towel!
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Why can't you change the hook(s) location?
    My dad spent many hours finding the buried beams and mounting sturdy boards onto those to then screw hooks into. We had two hooks hung differently before and one came out while I was sleeping in the middle of the night and I literally have a back injury because of it. I don't think my dad took into account comfortable lay at all, he wanted the next system to be safe and he did that, he made it pretty unbreakable . So now I have a very permit safe set up that is kinda unusable. He owns the house and would be the one to put in a new system if one where put in (I can't do that) and I don't know if I can convince him to do it. I think I might try though, we will see. I was just trying to see if there was a way within my control to get back in my hammock first before asking.

Thank you everyone. I might try making a stand. All these options are helpful and make me hopeful I will be able to get back in my hammocks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast