Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images

Places to hang, or people to hang with in Washington State

I'm going to be spending from beginning of Jan til the end of March in the Port Hadlock area, and wonder if anyone has any destination advice, or wouldn't mind show'n a guy the ropes for some short weekend overnighters or something?

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Might give Shadowmoss a PM, she's in WA state, IIRC.

Acer in Virginny
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I am not far from there, but generally don't hit the woods until May or later. If you don't mind cool and wet, there are plenty of places available to hang. You could try the Staircase area at the southwest corner of the Olympic National Park or up into the Elwa on the North end. Both of these areas are easy to get into and are generally low elevation locations. If you want snow and cold you would need to try and get up to Hurricane ridge by Port Angeles. It is open on weekends, although I don't know if they will let you spend the night on top. There's currently 4-5 feet of snow there and regularly drops down into the single digits.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I'm trying to get a dinner meeting together for January. I'm open to the location as long as it's somewhere accessible from Seattle and Olympia in about an hour drive for the furthest participant. So far Tacoma Mall area seems most centrally located, but I really, really don't know where everything is or alternate ways to get places (like ferries and such) that make some places actually closer. One of the things to do while getting to know each other at the dinner is to plan a hang-out.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Thanks everybody for the info, and Merry Christmas!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I didn't really answer your question about places to hang. The only place I've actually camped is in the Lake Ozette area, out on the coast. The campground at the ranger station doesn't have trees, but with a 3 mi hike (more or less) you can be out on the Pacific coast. The southern part (don't have my maps here because I'm still moving and that stuff is at the other place right now) has lots of trees, but no fires are allowed. This time of year you would have it to yourself, but don't really know the conditions out there. The trees go right up to the beach, but there is about a 10'-15' ribbon of downed logs all along the interface of the woods and beach that you have to scramble over. The first campsite where the trail met the beach looked like it would be wonderful with a hammock, but in the summer when I went someone else already had it. Check it out, and/or call the Park office in Port Angeles for more information. The hike out to the beach is mostly boardwalk through trees. Sounds easier and more boring than it really is. Kicked my posterior, which is why I haven't ventured out to the more wild areas of of the Olympics until I get into better condition.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts