WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing

MD > C&O Canal>Hang friendly sites?

I am planning a last minute late season bike tour for the length of the C&O Canal and I am curious if any of the sites around Hancock, MD or Harpers Ferry, WV are hang friendly. I've done this ride before but I stopped at other places and was still camping on the ground.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Near Hancock is White Rock H/B. That is the most hammock\sleep friendly. East of that your options aren't too good. Little Pool is loud due to the interstate, Licking Creek is a bit overgrown and better suited for tents, North Mountain is loud; the train tracks are on the MD side there, Jordan Junction had a great spot for hammocks. I used to set up there but last year they cleared out the smaller trees to make room for more tents. Past that you may as well head to Harpers Ferry. It's been years since I have been down there. Check out Pedalshifts recent videos for more info. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ3...1zhmfBipCsSqjg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing
    I don't mind traffic noise much, but I'm not going on this ride have it sound like a highway while I'm camping! I can get that right near my house. My initial feeling was to stop in Hancock and get stuff for dinner and camp at Little Pool, Licking Creek, or Big Pool if I had enough daylight left. I wonder if there is a way to hop off the Western Maryland Rail Trail to hit White Rock. It would be faster to backtrack up that way on asphalt vs. the towpath. Last time we camped at McCoys Ferry and the one guy with a hammock had a hard time finding a good spot.

I'll check out the video as well, thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing
    I actually think that I am going to stretch this trip to four days with a short fourth day. I remember how rough it was the last time trying to push 60+ miles a day plus time to stop for lunch and again in town for to buy food and then make it to camp before dark. I am looking at 45-50 miles a day rather than 60 miles a day. We also didn't have any time to stop and check anything out along the way. So, I need to revise my plan again.

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug

MD>C&O Canal>Hang friendly sites?

I did a 100 mile overnight O/B from DC on the C&O back in September with another hammock hanger. We made it out to Harper's ferry. We stopped at Mena's Pizzeria on Washington st and had a delicious BBQ chicken ranch pizza. Then we hopped back across the river to the trail and headed north another mile or so til we hit Huckleberry Hill. There are a few spots to hang at that site. Though, a couple are spaced pretty wide. But just make sure you have some long straps, or whoopies and you can make it work.

I had done a similar trip a couple years back, and hung at the same site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing
    So, I did the trip and ended up doing the trail in three days. I only camped one night because I got out late the second morning and a detour I took on country roads to shave off a few miles ended up being crushingly hilly and didn't save me any time.

Five foot tree straps aren't long enough for many sites, assuming that I have five foot straps. I have whatever Warbonnet included with my hammock so I'm assuming they are 58". I ended up camping at Little Pool and I only found one suitable hang location mostly due to tree spacing or tree girth but also due to widowmakers. Minus widowmakers, there was one other location at that site where five foot straps would have worked. The highway noise wasn't too bad but there were also trains on the other side of the river. Either way, I slept soundly due to exhaustion.

A word to the wise for those who want to do the C&O, bring longer tree straps if you are using whoopies. I'll be buying a set of seven or eight footers for my next trip. I briefly stopped at a few other sites along the way and found very few campsites where five, or even six, foot tree straps would be enough to hang.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've hung many times on the C+O. My favorites are on the east side of the Paw Paw Tunnel.
    Sorel Ridge @ 154.1
    Stickpile @ 149.4

Also:
    Killiansburg Cave @75.3
    Huckleberry Hill @62.9
    The Antietam Fee area I found only 1 spot I could hang from. Thanksgiving 2014 the snow/ice storm almost did not let me drive out of that area.
    I did hang at Purslane @ 156.9 but it was very buggy and only found 1 set of trees I could hang from & they were too close.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing
    A friend hung at the Antietam fee area on our trip a few years ago. He ended up hanging in a tree because there was nothing else he could find.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Back in August, I did the GAP & C&O from Pittsburgh to DC. The C&O campsites were generally not well suited to hammocks. Most areas were clear cut for tents, and the remaining trees were monstrously large and widely spaced.

Hammock
    Dutchware or Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm biking the C&O in May. I am hoping to use my hammock on the trip.

I've got long tree straps. I listen to the Pedalshift Podcast as well.

I'll have to review our plans to see if I need to change plans to use a tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast