Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middlebury, IN
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,187
    Images
    46
    I've been using a length of 'florist wire', works well. Fold a 20 inch piece in half, feed the fold section thru the rope, guide it thru the core, exit. Lace cord into the folded eye and pull thru.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

  2. #12
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Custom Splice (a member) posted this photo.



    I don't have any others handy. Just take a piece of music wire and double it. Then twist it creating a small loop in the end. Tape the two loose ends to secure them. Push it through your "bury" section, and pull the loose end back through.

    Hope that helps,
    Ken
    Thats how I do it.

    Mines not twisted though. Makes getting the tail between the wire very easy.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    winston salem nc
    Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Posts
    318
    Images
    3
    I use some very fine wire that I bought at a craft strore doubled over (its green too!)and feed the folded end down the line. I stretch the channel first with a crochet needle also bought at a crafts store. It is a very tiny crochet needle. I can't "push" with my setup like a real fid. Honestly not having the crochet part would be better because it sometimes snags fibers a little when you pull it back. Its kind of a one way fid I saw some tables about fid lenghts and bury distances and recognize that I am not following the set standards and probably compensate by burying a little longer than I need to.

  4. #14
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    I use some very fine wire that I bought at a craft strore doubled over (its green too!)and feed the folded end down the line. I stretch the channel first with a crochet needle also bought at a crafts store. It is a very tiny crochet needle. I can't "push" with my setup like a real fid. Honestly not having the crochet part would be better because it sometimes snags fibers a little when you pull it back. Its kind of a one way fid I saw some tables about fid lenghts and bury distances and recognize that I am not following the set standards and probably compensate by burying a little longer than I need to.
    What you need is a knitting needle...

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd582024
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  5. #15
    Senior Member Albert Skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    coastal B.C.
    Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Posts
    378
    Telescoping antennas from old portable radios (ghetto blasters) are a good source of polished, thin-wall tubing in various diameters. Good for a tubular fids.

  6. #16
    Senior Member cavscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Georgia
    Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    What you need is a knitting needle...

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd582024
    Will that size 1 work on 7/64 amsteel and are they hollow?

  7. #17
    Senior Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    4,069
    Images
    207
    I use a Dritz loop turner (product # 647). You can Google "Dritz 647" or go directly to Amazon with the same search, where you'll find it for under $4.00. It works like the tiny splicing tools made for hollow braid fishing line or kite line, but it's the perfect size for 7/64 Amsteel. It also works on NER Dynaglide (but not quite as easily).

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    72
    Just wrestled with this problem myself and ended up using a "yarn needle" (less than a buck at Walmart) to make 6 whoopies from 7/64 Amsteel. It was quick work and the slings came out perfect.

    I pre-tapered the ends and the tapered part fit in the needle's eye slick.

  9. #19
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    Will that size 1 work on 7/64 amsteel and are they hollow?
    They are not hollow, you have to use tape.

    The size I was using is 2.75mm. It works, but is tight. Im not familiar with the numerical system, But I believe youd want a 0 or 1 size.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  10. #20
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by WVhammockmaker View Post
    I use a Dritz loop turner (product # 647). You can Google "Dritz 647" or go directly to Amazon with the same search, where you'll find it for under $4.00. It works like the tiny splicing tools made for hollow braid fishing line or kite line, but it's the perfect size for 7/64 Amsteel. It also works on NER Dynaglide (but not quite as easily).
    I picked one of these up on your recommendation....

    The doubled over wire is easier.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

Similar Threads

  1. Quilt suspension devices, Hooks and Hangers
    By Dutch in forum Dutchware
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 23:36
  2. Various Illumination Devices
    By dishonor39 in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 17:26
  3. Various Illumination Devices
    By dishonor39 in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 18:14
  4. what about these tie off devices?
    By BillyBob58 in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 21:26

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •