Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Might just try using 1 or 2 of these pads between the hammock and nest and see how low I could go temp. wise. I own 1 and it is extremely light and thin.
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html
    Are these 1/8" padds thick enough or should I stick with 3/8"? I'll be using it in a Claytor Jungle hammock which has the double bottom to hold it in place. I'm thinking down to about 50 degrees....mostly summer but also some spring and fall. (Maybe one of each!)

Miguel

I too would like to hear anyone's experiences regarding the thinlight pads. I have their torsolength nightlight and think it is great, but not big enough for what I need in the hammock. When it gets cold the nest is clearly not enough for me, but YMMV. I guess I am a cold sleeper. I use the nest and a Wallmart Blue CCF pad and the GG Nightlight for my feet. I also use the jacks hood and sleeves for my feet. I was toasty warm at 26F last weekend. Anyway, any experience with either the thinlight ore oware's pads? I would like to drop some weight and a lot of bulk. Thanks.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

"If you are still carrying a pad use it. In addition to the standard mode in the hammock, the pad can be placed between the hammock and the under quilt. Both work well. Between the Hammock and Nest is more comfortable. Additionally, it will allow better dispersion of non-sensible sweat so that you are not in the damp pool of sweat as when directly on a non-breathable pad."
    I think that's the idea with the HH Super Shelter. The Super Shelter uses a SilNylon layer under the hammock for a windbreak and uses a 1/4" open cell contoured pad for insulation. The open cell pad grips and holds other pads in place.

I use a 3/4 length ThermaRest UL pad between the open cell pad and the hammock. It has kept me warm to around 30 degrees. That's as cold as I have been able to test it. Two weeks ago on the AT it go into the upper 30's and I was warm. From 40 degrees and up I actually have to shed clothing. I took a small closed cell pad (~10"X16") for sitting on the ground. I used it inside under my knees or where ever a cool spot developed as I shifted around.

I dislike wrestling with a pad inside the hammock. It never seems to want to stay where you put it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Are these 1/8" padds thick enough or should I stick with 3/8"? I'll be using it in a Claytor Jungle hammock which has the double bottom to hold it in place. I'm thinking down to about 50 degrees....mostly summer but also some spring and fall. (Maybe one of each!)

Miguel
    I've seen where a 1/8 pad is rated to 63 degrees in a hammock. Might want to test it at home before you go out. I tried the 1/8 GG pad last night between my hammock and the Nest (at home) I quickly got out the 3/8. Temp was around 40.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    I've seen where a 1/8 pad is rated to 63 degrees in a hammock. Might want to test it at home before you go out. I tried the 1/8 GG pad last night between my hammock and the Nest (at home) I quickly got out the 3/8. Temp was around 40.
    FanaticFringer,How did that work out with the pad between nest and hammock?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    FanaticFringer,How did that work out with the pad between nest and hammock?
    It fit in there pretty well. Like it was'nt even there. I just had to close the Nest from the outside. Then I just slid the Nest to the side and entered the hammock. I had to adjust the pad a little. Would be interesting to see how 2 or 3 of these babys would work. Seeing as though 3 would be 3/8.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    I've just got in from testing out my blue wmart 24 inch wide pad(it looks like 3/8 thick) in hammock, with nest underneath hammock, it is 27 degrees out . i used a western mountain bad 20 degree as quilt. i was on my front porch no wind, i did not have the tarp up. i was out for about 2 hrs just testing, i was very comfortable with light pants, fleese, smart wool socks, and thin balaca.i'm sure things would change if it was windy out. my goal is to get comfortable to 20 degrees. i'm starting my thru end of march hoping to not run into temps on too many nights below that. if i do i'll go to the ground those nights if i have to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12