Which Hennessey?

I am going on a month+ hike on the AT starting at harpers ferry, walking NoBo to NY, and heading east along the long trail into manhattan. I'm looking at a couple of Hennessey Hammocks.

I'm around 190lb, 5'10" and i'm looking at the Hyperlight & ultralight Backpackers models, the Explorer ultralight, and the Deep-Jungle.

I'm wary of the Hyperlight, with my weight so close to the maximum. if I choose a 200lb rated hammock, it is probably going to be the ultralight, 5oz penalty to almost double the material (30d to 70d). Is this fear unwarranted?

Do I want to pick one of the 250lb rated hammocks to give myself a wide durability/safety margin? If so, I like the deep-jungle, so far. it has the side-zip already, and mentions that it can accept a sleeping pad between the two bottom layers.

I was looking at adding the "super shelter" under-cover and under-pad to the Ultralight or Explorer, so I can use the under-pad in colder weather. Would I be able to use the HH Underpad they have for $30 on their website with the deep-jungle hammock? it says it will accept a "bubble pad".. whatever that means.

I am looking to order tomorrow/the next day, so I can take advantage of the Free-Scout hammock. Any opinions would be appreciated as I am kind of stuck..

if I can use the underpad with the deep jungle, that seems ideal to me... good weight margin, already has the side-entry..

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVista View Post
    I'm around 190lb, 5'10" and i'm looking at the Hyperlight & ultralight Backpackers models, the Explorer ultralight, and the Deep-Jungle.

I'm wary of the Hyperlight, with my weight so close to the maximum. if I choose a 200lb rated hammock, it is probably going to be the ultralight, 5oz penalty to almost double the material (30d to 70d). Is this fear unwarranted?
    I'm 180 and 6' and haven't had any issues with the Hyperlite. I doubt that if I were 10 pounds heavier it would make any difference.

Do I want to pick one of the 250lb rated hammocks to give myself a wide durability/safety margin? If so, I like the deep-jungle, so far. it has the side-zip already, and mentions that it can accept a sleeping pad between the two bottom layers.
    The Hennessy website describes the Deep Jungle as a Hyperlite with a zipper, which is a nice feature. 2QZQ will add a zipper to a Hennessy for $50, which is the difference in price between the Deep Jungle and the Hyperlite. However, the Deep Jungle is still heavier than a Hyperlite with the 2QZQ #2 Zipper modification because it is double layered.

I was looking at adding the "super shelter" under-cover and under-pad to the Ultralight or Explorer, so I can use the under-pad in colder weather. Would I be able to use the HH Underpad they have for $30 on their website with the deep-jungle hammock? it says it will accept a "bubble pad".. whatever that means.
    I'd contact Hennessy about this; they respond promptly to e-mail inquiries: [email protected].

My guess is that any pad can be put underneath, but a CCF or self-inflating pad would be better than the Hennessy OCF pad. The OCF will probably compress between the hammock layers and is best suited for the Supershelter. The double-layered Deep Jungle would allow you to put a pad between the layers, whereas the Hyperlite will require the Supershelter or using a pad inside the hammock. I have the Hyperlite and Supershelter. I don't have any issues using a pad inside, but the Supershelter is nice (but also expensive).

Last week, I used the Hyperlite with a Thermarest Trailpro (inside hammock) and a 15 degree sleeping bag at freezing temperatures without any issues. Yesterday, I used the Supershelter/OCF pad and a 55 degree bag down to about 40 degrees in extremely windy conditions.
    Last edited by Trooper; 12-24-2009 at 21:33.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

The sleeping bag i'm gonna be using is the big agnes Pitch Pine SL40 (Or, maybe a Horse thief 35 degree bag), with a 35 degree or 15 degree big agnes blow-up inflatible pad, which fits in an integrated pad-sleeve in the sleeping bag, so I do already have some insulation. I'll definitely need a side-zip hammock to use this bag, so I'll be having the zipper modded if I don't choose the Deep Jungle.

we'll be at harpers ferry in late may, and from what I've read so far, the coldest it might get at night is around 40 degrees. I'm hoping to be comfortable to around that far, and managable with extra clothing, space blankets etc, for a litle bit colder. The super-shelter might not even be necesary, but I like the way the underpad contours to the hammock & has a nice big surface area. I also like that the pad itself weighs a measly 5.5oz, so even trimmed to fit if necesary, it doesn't add much weight to the deep jungle, and could be used as-needed.

Assuming i'll be using one of the above bags, which hammock would you rather have?

Hyperlite A-sym at $229, 26oz
    PLUS super-shelter system #1 at $129, 16oz
    PLUS 2Q/ZQ zipper mod #2 $50
    total weight 38oz
    total cost $415+

Ultralight A-sym at $189, 31oz
    PLUS super-shelter system #1 at $129, 16oz
    PLUS 2Q/ZQ zipper mod #2 $50
    total weight 47oz
    total cost $370+

Deep Jungle A-sym at $269, 40oz
    Replacement HH OCF Underpad at $30, 5.5oz
    total cost 45.5oz
    total cost $300+

I wish I could get my hands on a few different models and see the differences myself, but that is pretty doubtful. Also, does anyone know when the free scout deal runs until? I don't want to miss out! I plan on ordering in the morning or tomorrow if possible..

At your weight you might be better served by the Backpacker UL. I'm 165# and my hyperlites stretch A LOT compared to my Bacpacker UL. Sag to the ground stretch, almost. I have to set them up quite a bit tighter, maybe they'll finally get stretched out and this will cease, I don't know.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I had a Ultralite for a couple of days and liked it. I returned the Ultralite to a local store when I learned about Hennessy's free Scout offer, and took that opportunity to upgrade to the Hyperlite. I went through the same decision process then, and went with the Hyperlite because I didn't think the double layer was worth the extra weight in the summer, and I can always get the 2QZQ zipper and still be lighter than the Deep Jungle. The zipper modification can take a couple of weeks because of high demand, so that might sway your decision if you need the zipper immediately.

Take-a-knee is right about the stretch on the Hyperlite. I hang mine as high as possible simply because I like to be high up. The bottom entrance is at my waist or higher. After three days in my yard, it stretched to the "chair height" that Hennessy recommends. Take a look at the photos in my gallery and you can see how high I hang mine. When I started the Smokey Mountain portion of the AT I was 185 pounds, but when I got home I was 170. The weight limit and stretch of the hammock may only be an issue at the beginning of your hike...
    Last edited by Trooper; 12-25-2009 at 12:38.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    LaVista... I have an Ultralight Explorer with the zipper mod on one side and whoopie slings as the suspension.

Im not using it currently, if youd like to try it out, just cover postage and Ill send it your way.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    LaVista, I have no doubt the ULBA or any of the other options you posted will do you well.

I'm pretty sure that at times I have been well-over the weight limit for HH ULBA (with 2 occupants) and it has come through with flying colours. They're a good bit of kit and very forgiving.

I just ordered the Ultralight Backpacker. My mom said since I was "downgrading" vs the Deep Jungle she'd already approved for my christmas gift, I could buy some other items on my packing-list with the monetary difference, so and I upgraded to a hex-fly, plus a little of my budget left over to buy my cook set. I plan on using a poncho/tarp while out on the trail that is comparable to the HH fly in size (maybe a mountain-laurel-designs, or Go-lite.. still undecided), I figured that it would make sense to have my factory option a little bit larger, for short duration trips & overnights where weight is less of a concern.

If it is really cold in may I'll spring for the super-shelter system & accept the added weight.

I plan on getting the zipper modded & suspension upgraded to something a little more streamlined/lighter, but I don't leave until may so I have plenty of time to get that all worked out.

Opie: Since I chose the ULBA over the Deep Jungle, I'll probably take you up on your offer. I had planned on upgrading the suspension, getting a zipper modded and all that, so it would be very helpful to not only myself, but my 3 buddies who are coming as well. my 3 companions are set on either War Bonnet or Hennessy, so Having a variety of hammocks to check out would really help us get outfitted.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    PM sent.......

• + New Posts