View Poll Results: When do you go without a bugnet?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always, I don't ever/ rarely use one

13 12.87%
  • After first frost,

7 6.93%
  • After ground freezes

2 1.98%
  • Never, I use one almost all year

34 33.66%
  • Depends on weather

45 44.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKD View Post
    I posted my vote before realizing that until my last trip, I did not have a bug net. I now do. Funny story...

I am a 25 year old woman. I live on a farm. I can start young horses under saddle for Pete's sake. But, I do not do ANY form of brown, roachy looking bug. Nope. Not me. I will use a broom or the extension on the vacuum if I find one in the garage. I'm also a fuel miser. Once it's dark, I'm lights out. I was on my first solo trip and in preparation for having a little more trouble sleeping, I brought extra batteries and a book. I fell asleep reading my book and woke up with about 20 bugs of brown-roachyness on my chest in the circle of light my headlamp was making. If Sasquatch lives in central Alabama, he got the comedy of his life. I have never evacuated a hammock so fast in my life. My sleeping pad went one way. The pea pod got flipped, and my book went another way. My poor dog was looking at me like, "should i defend or run?" I carefully went over everything carefully and got back to sleep eventually.

I was supposed to hike in further and stay another night. Instead, I called my husband to meet me halfway home with his bug net and proceeded to head down a different trail for another out and back. So i guess now my accurate answer would be bug net. Every. Time. I am going out this weekend with temps at 30. It should get dark around 5 so I will have my kindle in the bug net. Not chancing that dance I did ever again.
    Love this story! Thanks for sharing. My wife hates everything outdoors....after reading your post and profile I'd like to ask....do you by chance have a single older sister? :-)

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Love this story! Thanks for sharing. My wife hates everything outdoors....after reading your post and profile I'd like to ask....do you by chance have a single older sister? :-)
    nope. Only child of free spirited parents that totally supported anything I wanted to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    MrsKD - I'm sure glad you didn't have a knife or more ballistic type of hardware with you. You could have decided to defend yourself and we would have never heard the story. That great philosopher, Clint Eastwood (playing Dirty Harry) once said, "A man's (i.e. person's) got to know his (her) limitations. I use to loose my car keys. Not lost, lost - just misplaced for a while. After taking Clint's advice to heart, I made several copies - having one accessible from outside the car. Interestingly, after I acknowledged the issue and made accommodations, I got much better with the keys.

You have acknowledged your lack of affinity for bugs and made adjustments to your gear. So I hope "life" will say, "Okay, you handled that (seems just handling is the key, with no judgement as to good/bad result) so now I will move on to other lessons."

I can appreciate your dog's willingness to be part of the solution and at the same time, not being exactly sure what part that would be.

I'm glad you survived.
    Actually I did have hardware in my hammock but thankfully, I keep all very secure and on my body under layers so that nothing/no one gets damaged. The mental image... gotta watch how fast you pull that multi tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Actually, I am choosing to tackle the lack of affinity from another angle. Prior to the incident, I picked at my husband for refusing to camp without his. All but that night and one after have been without a bug net and Ive never had a problem. I am going to either make one that goes on my ridge line or not fall asleep with a head lamp again. I tried out the bug net the other night and it was too confining (ENO bugnet). I missed the freedom that I have always associated with hammock camping. The lack of barriers. I couldn't reach out and pet my dog or sit like in a chair. I dunno. I think I am going to suck it up and deal with the fact that there are bugs in the woods and keep my stupid lamp off. lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456