WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    IIRC the Stingerz with line forces you to make a "V" from the hammock to the tree. Is that correct? This does use up more line than just running a line from the tarp to the tree. Splicing is not difficult. As others have said, simply carrying an extra length of cordage to extend your line is a simple option but as you said the connection point can get in the way.

If you don't mind knots you could undo the locked brummel on the Stinger, take off the lash-it, and replace it with a new longer length of lash-it with a loop made with a knot such as a figure 8 or bowline. Another option is to undo the brummel and take it off the Stinger and then make a new loop with a knot then to set up the tarp put the end with the loop around the tree and feed it through the loop and run it back through the Stinger. This eliminates the "V" but gives you more length. The downside is the tarp and line are separated.

It really depends on how often you find yourself short. If it happens a lot, I would replace the existing lash-it with a longer length.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0 Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    IIRC the Stingerz with line forces you to make a "V" from the hammock to the tree. Is that correct? This does use up more line than just running a line from the tarp to the tree. Splicing is not difficult. As others have said, simply carrying an extra length of cordage to extend your line is a simple option but as you said the connection point can get in the way.

If you don't mind knots you could undo the locked brummel on the Stinger, take off the lash-it, and replace it with a new longer length of lash-it with a loop made with a knot such as a figure 8 or bowline. Another option is to undo the brummel and take it off the Stinger and then make a new loop with a knot then to set up the tarp put the end with the loop around the tree and feed it through the loop and run it back through the Stinger. This eliminates the "V" but gives you more length. The downside is the tarp and line are separated.

It really depends on how often you find yourself short. If it happens a lot, I would replace the existing lash-it with a longer length.
    Exactly! This setup was for the 'V' which I will be honest has not worked well for me. I'm not sure if it's my short hammock, but it always seems like if I go semi low for the tarp it hits my hammock suspension a lot. But more times than not I am short or very close when I hang my tarp because the trees are big and it doesn't take much to use up 10' of cord.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    I guess my big issue is I feel dumb wasting the nice brummel that is pre spliced onto the stinger from JRB, but I really should just remove and put on a longer line.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBX133 View Post
    I guess my big issue is I feel dumb wasting the nice brummel that is pre spliced onto the stinger from JRB, but I really should just remove and put on a longer line.
    Don't feel dumb, I know how you feel. I used to have this irrational need to keep new gear pristine for the first little while even though I know it's supposed to get used. When I was new I wouldn't have wanted to mess with things but after getting into DIY and acquiring skills, modifications become something you look for lol. I used to always get the latest Dutchware or splice my loops but nowadays I'm content to use knots and hitches. Maybe it's the satisfaction of using knowledge. In your case, if you get some small gauze wire and watch a you tube video, you could easily undo and redo that brummel so no need to worry about wasting it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by CBX133 View Post
    Splicing these kinds of line is NOT brain surgery. I got it right on the first try at a Whoopie.
    Everybody should learn to do it since it is so simple and wickhud useful. I just gave away a Whoopie at my last hang, cuz it would be so simple to make a replacement when I got home... 'sides~~ "what goes around comes around", and "you get what you give"
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Splicing these kinds of line is NOT brain surgery. I got it right on the first try at a Whoopie.
    Everybody should learn to do it since it is so simple and wickhud useful. I just gave away a Whoopie at my last hang, cuz it would be so simple to make a replacement when I got home... 'sides~~ "what goes around comes around", and "you get what you give"
    Yeah it does not look very difficult. I tend to buy gear that fits the needs without DIY, but I did make the tarp tie out tensioner and that was easy and satisfying. This won't be hard, I just wanted some opinions on methods that I should try.

Images
    If you are scared of splicing, or don't have spliceable cord, then there is no shame in just making the loops on the ends of the dogbone with figure 8 on the bight knots. I do it all the time with the 300lb dyneema fishing line I use for my tie-outs, life is just too short to be splicing 1.2mm cord!

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    This has come up multiple times and I've also ran into this in the field. I'm seeing more people prefer the extra length of cord. For a two line suspension, this is the best system I could come up with using hardware ...

Two 10 - 12 ft pieces of splice able dyneema/spectra/zing-it/lash-it/reflect-it
    One end is spliced onto a dutch hook (you create a loop instead of the dutch hook) the other end is buried into itself to keep it from fraying (you could also just tie a stopper knot)
    Fleaz on split rings for the tarp ends

You wrap the cord around the tree and hook it with the dutch hook. Do this on both trees. Then you use the flea the same way as the stinger creating a mechanical advantage then locking it off. It's just like the stingers, but the system is more versatile. You can still remove the fleaz from the split ring and put them on another tarp. You can use the same cord with stingers also. But stingers are longer, heavier, bulkier, and more expensive than a flea with split ring.

If using knots, TacBlades claims the double dragon knot works well and will not slip. Looks like a really good knot.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    I carry an extra length of zingit and extend my line with a simple knot called a Tiller Knot. It's basically a sheet bend with a bite in it so it comes apart with a pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Lot of great options guys, thanks for all the input. Will have to brush up on some knots and practice making a locked brummel. Will try out a few setups and maybe switch up my dutch bling a bit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast