Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by treenester View Post
    Shug: Save them broke mandolin strings! I think I may have a gitfiddle or banjer string somewhere to try for my next one.
    Just busted a string right now working on "Southern Flavor" !!!
    Timely, huh?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I only have one hole at the end of my HH. Hmmmm, what to do?
    Yellow Jacket

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    I'm surprised ... Expedition? Anyway you can burn another hole by taking a quarter inch bolt and heating it with a propane torch while holding it in a pair of vice locks. Then using that to burn a sealed edge hole right through. It works but don't do it indoors!!!!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hmm....I've only seen 3 models of Hennessy, but they all had 2 holes. You should be able to work out some arrangement of the fixed eye to make it work though.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I think the wraps around the stem are what do the main work of holding the hammock to the cord. I'd suggest you proceed just as Ken shows, up to the point where he pushes the key through the 2nd hole. Here you want to do _something_ that encourages the bottom wrap to stay put, e.g., put a clove hitch there. Then carry on just as Ken shows.

You'd want the clove hitch to be loose at first, because you need to do some final redistribution of the rope.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Triple Sheet Bend

The first hole is all you actually need.

(1) Using one hole, tie a triple sheet bend.
    (2) Once your triple sheet bend is complete, thread your eye through the small ridgeline loop and then thread the standing part of the main suspension line (other end of the AmSteel) through the eye.
    (3) Back feed all of the slack from the eye back through the bend to snug things up.

Clear as mud ?

Clicking the image below will bring you to "Animated Knots by Grog" for instruction on how to tie a basic Sheet Bend:

The picture below depicts a double sheet bend. Adding one more nested wrap around the hammock body will make the bend a triple.
    important Note: If using Dynema (AmSteel, Dyna Glide, etc.) or some other form of high tensile low stretch synthetic line, a stopper knot or other method of secring the dead end of the line is emperitive as most knots will work loose with these ropes as tension is applied and removed. <-thanks for the reminder Opie!

The Sheet Bend was created for nearly this exact purpose. Sailors used this bend to secure the corners of sheet sails when grommets were not available in the fabric. The security of the bend is demonstrated in the fact that it is the base structure securing the Bowline knot.

H4x.
    Last edited by TrailH4x; 01-01-2010 at 21:20. Reason: added warning for using knots with high tensile lines. THANKS OPIE!
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    If your using Amsteel for your double sheet bend, You need a stopper knot or otherwise secure the tail somehow. It will hold under tension, but once tension is relieved, the wraps will work loose.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 &amp; TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64&quot; UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If your using Amsteel for your double sheet bend, You need a stopper knot or otherwise secure the tail somehow. It will hold under tension, but once tension is relieved, the wraps will work loose.
    Thanks opie. Added a disclaimer to my last post. Realised after your comment that I wasn't clear enough. Not everyone should have to learn by getting my bumps and bruises !
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Trail... No problem. The BEST solution is to splice in a small fixed eye and run the standing part of the line through it to finish it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I'm surprised ... Expedition?
    Nope. It is an ULB A-Sym. I did purchase it in late 2002 or early 2003, so maybe they were made differently then. Wow! My hammock is 7yo. That makes me feel old.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I think the wraps around the stem are what do the main work of holding the hammock to the cord. I'd suggest you proceed just as Ken shows, up to the point where he pushes the key through the 2nd hole. Here you want to do _something_ that encourages the bottom wrap to stay put, e.g., put a clove hitch there. Then carry on just as Ken shows.
    That's more or less what I ended up doing. I put three wraps around the stem, the third wrap was half of a clove hitch and then I fed the loop back through the hole after picking up the ridge-line and the free end. I, then, pulled everything tight.

Now that I have done it once (still need to do the other end, got distracted by a game....OH-IO!) I wonder why we need to lock the loop? That section is wound so tightly around the end of the hammock, I just don't see the need. I did a lock (though I have no clue if I did it right, got a link??). It just seems unnecessary in this particular setup.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    When I do the other end of the hammock, I just might try a triple sheet bend, though the tail would be a loop, that I feed back into the hole after I pickup the ridge-line and the rest of the suspension cord. So, I really don't need a stopper knot in that scenario as there isn't really an "end".
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 01-01-2010 at 23:04. Reason: Added a response to Opie's post...
    Yellow Jacket

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast