View Poll Results: Ridgelines on Tarps, Do you think:

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • No ridgeline would be better, just hang the tarp on the loops.

27 32.93%
  • Ridgeline Over the tarp, I think this is better.

28 34.15%
  • Ridgeline Under the tarp seems better.

26 31.71%
  • Something different, please explain what you are thinking.

1 1.22%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Good idea, why not both? Over the tarp with prusics to pull the tarp taught, and a looser one under the tarp put on permanently between the tarps own ridgeline tabs. Yep, that's what I think I will be trying.
    I have began using a ridgeline over the tarp. I am currently using Shug's reefing method, and it looks like a winner for me. However, the idea of a permanently attached hanging or clothes line under the tarp is a very appealing idea.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    I don't see that it would make any difference which side of the tarp the ridge line is on when it comes to fastening the tarp to it. Am I missing something?
    makes no difference at all...just flip the tarp over the RL
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    I like the ridge line over the tarp. i use something like prusik knots, but wrap it 3 or 4 times. if i could figure it out how to pt it under the tarp i probably would try that to give me a clothes line. if you know how to do this please enlighten me, i am curious.
    Just put it under the tarp. Its goes up the same way.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Full ridge line is extra weight... And, as pointed out earlier, if under the tarp it will need drip lines or you risk getting wet... It really is a no brainer to locate the tarp centered over the hammock with little to no extra adjusting necessary...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Full ridge line is extra weight... And, as pointed out earlier, if under the tarp it will need drip lines or you risk getting wet... It really is a no brainer to locate the tarp centered over the hammock with little to no extra adjusting necessary...

Pan
    Dont most folks carry extra line anyway? I dont want to argue the point that it is extra weight, because it is.

20' of 2mm dynaglide with 2 6" zing it prusiks and 1 small aluminum figure 9 weighs 19 grams.

20' of the 1.75mm zing it would be even less.

I also like the idea of having a line under the tarp to hang things like wet clothes... or stinky clothes. The hammock suspension only affords you so much room if the weather outside the tarp is nasty.

Disclaimer... I dont count grams.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Disclaimer... I dont count grams.

I count pounds. While I would like to be as light as possible, I also want to enjoy my trip, especially the stay in a camp. I am willing to carry a bit extra to make that possible. The 30 pounds I dropped off my own frame has easily been the best gift to my knees.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Pan
    Pan, Hello. I agree that a ridge line is not needed. The only reason I am thinking about this is having read Grizzly thread saying that the tension may open up the needle holes eventually. What do you think?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I can certainly see the attraction of attempting to travel as light as possible.

And I guess when your trying to achieve that, grams are grams.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Pan, Hello. I agree that a ridge line is not needed. The only reason I am thinking about this is having read Grizzly thread saying that the tension may open up the needle holes eventually. What do you think?
    Mule,

While that is certainly possible... It is not probable.... I have been rigging tarps tight without ridgelines for years and never had a needle hole issue...

Properly sealed ridge line also strengthen the edge seam at the ridge line tab...Any minor enlargement has never led to tarp failure to my knowledge...Nor, has any needle enlargement, that is within one inch of the edge ever contributed to leakage over a hammock to my knowledge.

While it is certainly neat to be able to slide ones tarp with pursicks on a ridge it is not necessary to easily and properly positioning a tarp.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Mule,

While that is certainly possible... It is not probable.... I have been rigging tarps tight without ridgelines for years and never had a needle hole issue...

Properly sealed ridge line also strengthen the edge seam at the ridge line tab...Any minor enlargement has never led to tarp failure to my knowledge...Nor, has any needle enlargement, that is within one inch of the edge ever contributed to leakage over a hammock to my knowledge.

While it is certainly neat to be able to slide ones tarp with pursicks on a ridge it is not necessary to easily and properly positioning a tarp.

Pan
    I do agree with you, Pan. Grizzly did, in fact, find some damage to one of his tarps. Now, even though a ridge line is not necessary, and given that the prusik knots are handy when centering the tarp, we could just attach half of the cord that would have been a ridge line to one tree and the other half to the second tree and STILL use Prusik knots to adjust the tarps center. I may be wrong, if the ridge line is not taught, the Prusik knot probably won't hold, but you see my point. I'm sure there is a knot that does work. No need to give up the adjustment whether or not we use a ridge line.
    Also, if we sewed a loop to the reinforcement triangles at the edges of the tarp's RL, attaching it to the INSIDE of the reinforced area, then we could use a clothes line if we wanted to because that line would be a few inches shorter than the length of the tarp at it's RL. No water would be running down it because it would be all UNDER the tarp.
    This has been a good conversation. Thanks everyone. So far I am inclined to go on without a RL the way this is "PANning" out. (Pan)Pun intended.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast