Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I like Hammock Gear because they offer different lengths and widths and overstuffing etc.Can't say all the others offer the same options or not so you need to do your own research.There's plenty of good vendors out there and they need your business.Be prepared to wait a little while because it is worth it.
    UGQ offers the exact same customization as HG.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Most importantly, what is your budget, and do you have any weight restrictions?

For $275ish you can get a new 20° down quilt with enough overstuff to be comfortable at 25° brand new from any number of cottage vendors. This would be the ideal option for weight and packability.

For $175ish you can get a nice packable synthetic from Arrowhead Equipment or Loco Libre Gear. These will be a little heavier and less packable than down, but still very functional for backpacking.

Under $175 you are better off turning to the used market or searching for deals on sleeping bags. There is the Snugpack quilt for around $60, but it is not very light, packable, or rated quite as low as you need.

I recently went through this decision process and settled on used down quilts from these forums. I was able to get lightly used gear at a significant discount from some great sellers.
    Last edited by Mchaz; 11-08-2016 at 14:33.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I own a Hammock Gear 20 degree and a Wilderness Logics Zero. Both are great. I would give the edge to Wilderness Logics due to speed of delivery and I LOVE the fleece face patch thingie on my WL zero TQ. If I were to buy a summer weight TQ, I'd have Marty at WL make it & add a fleece face patch to it just like my Zero. It keeps the quilt clean.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Just bought an ENO Doublenest set
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Eno Suspension
    Asking here, however I may need to ask in a new thread, sorry if this is so. I am planning a 30 degree underquilt, what should I plan for my top quilt? I plan to use extra length for face and head.
    Any day in the Bush is better than a day at work!

Jacks R Better stuff is in stock and ships fast, worth mentioning.

A Hudson River quilt would work nicely at 25-40 degs, and you'd have the option to hang it as an UQ later if needed.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Assuming you have sufficient insulation underneath (20° or equivalent) and those temps are actual temps and not forecast temps, a 30° TQ would likely be sufficient.

I personally like a little insurance and would go with a 20°. It's all personal preference depending on your priorities.....are you counting grams? Do you want to insure you are warm? What base layers do you like to sleep in?

A top quilt is a little more forgiving than an underrated underquilt as it is easier to supplement top insulation than it is bottom.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post

As far as your current bag, have you tried just leaving it partially zipped at the foot end and just draping it over your upper body, like you would a blanket or quilt at home in bed? That seems like it would be much simpler and easier in a hammocking application.
    Or just hack it. Get rid of the zippers and the hood and turn it into a dedicated TQ.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phincubator; EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    here is where we all recommend <insert favorite cottage vendor here>.

you can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors quilts. They will all be quality. The question is do you want to wait 9 weeks, 8 weeks, 7 weeks, 6 weeks, 5 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, or 1 week.
    This is certainly my experience from building a ground sleeping kits. It's a beautiful thing to have so many outstanding options.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Watch for Holiday/Black Friday sales. Many of the cottage vendors have discounts this time of year.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    There are alot of pretty looking quilts on the market these days and i have not tried them all but i have tried several and my favorite is my Flight Jacket from UGQ.
    This tq has got to be one of if not the one- best tq on the market imo.
    When i first got my new Flight Jacket i did what i normally do when i get a new piece of gear and that is to go over it with a fine tooth comb, i'm alittle ocd when it comes to my gear and i'm very picky about my selection.
    I pay good money for my gear and i will not settle for just ok ,My Flight Jacket was more than ok it's awesome, very nicely done, well built and not a stitch out of place.
    I would suggest you take a look at the UGQ website and consider the Flight Jacket.
    My tq packs down very nicely in the strong sack it comes in and ugq also provides a larger storage sack with your new quilt.
    It's one of the nicer piece's of gear that i own.
    Thanks Zilla. I pulled the trigger on the 20* Flight Jacket through their Black Friday Sale. I had my eye on this top quilt and could not pass up the deal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12