Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

-2 F hang with MWUQ4 - Rampart Range Rd, Colorado

Click here for the full trip report with more pics!
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPict...partRange.html

We're in the middle of a move from Fayetteville, NC, to Colorado Springs, CO...all of our belongings are in transit with the moving company, and a cold front is moving in with forecasted temps below zero in the mountains. What else is there to do but go camping? As I discussed in the White Christmas in Colorado thread, Jennifer had agreed to open presents in the mountains on Christmas morning, but we decided to have a more traditional Christmas (albeit at the Residence Inn) so Joker and I spent the 23rd at a campsite just off of Rampart Range Road outside of Woodland Park, CO.

Lowest recorded temp was -1.7 F...temps hovered between +2 and -2 for most of the night. Steady light snow all night. Winds estimated at 8-10 kts...snow was consistently blowing into the tarp until I put up the MacCat as an end cover.

Biggest take-away for me on this trip was the performance of the JRB Mt Washington 4-Season Underquilt...I'm usually a cold sleeper so bags and quilts don't take me as low as their ratings, but I was very comfortable all night in the MWUQ4 even though I was slightly below the stated temp range (0-10 F), with wind coming thru the end of the tarp all night and a suboptimal hammock hang (see link below for details on that). I have complete confidence in this underquilt!

Gear

I had ordered the Warbonnet Winter Yeti and was hoping to take it on this trip, but with the holidays it didn't come in time. I found out that it arrived about two hours after I left on this trip! But I'm glad it worked out that way b/c this is the lowest temp I've had the Mt Washington on and I was completely comfortable in it.

• I slept in the Warbonnet Blackbird, JRB Mt Washington 4-Season Underquilt (0-10 F) on bottom, Sierra Designs Wicked Fast (30 F) and JRB No Sniveler (30 F) on top. I wore thick socks, Montbell ThermaWrap insulated pants, RedLedge Thunderlight Rain Pants, polyester T-shirt, 100wt fleece shirt, REI Generator down jacket, fleece beanie, and sometimes a Serius neo-fleece facemask.

• Joker slept in the DownHammock, PeaPod (20F), Travel Pod (Hammock Sock), and GoLite Ultra 20 Short top quilt (20 F). He wore hiking socks, Columbia snow pants, a T-shirt, thick fleece hoodie (more than 300wt), REI kids down jacket (that he took off during the night), and a 200wt fleece beanie.

• We hung both hammocks under the JRB 11' x 10' Cat Tarp, pitched A-Frame but with the windward corners folded in. The wind shifted so I hung the MacCat Standard up as an end cover.

Sunrise over the JRB 11'x10' Cat Tarp, with windward side sealed up w/ the MacCat Standard. Think I'm gonna buy some of Grizz's doors soon just for this reason...

Leeward side left open. Joker's hammock is actually under the tarp even though it looks like he's sticking out a little bit.

How I hang two hammocks from the same tree to get enough separation for a comfortable hang, side by side, under one tarp

TravelPod with Joker still inside

Frosty webbing on the Warbonnet Blackbird

I'm really glad I got this trip in. I'm already planning my next one with the Yeti underquilt and MWUQ4+hood on top. Should be a very light sub-zero setup with the right tarp!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Awesome report and pics both here and on your site.
    Glad you were able to get out into the mountains with Joker.
    Hope the transition into the new residence goes smoothly.

Cheers!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Me and Thing1 are jealous!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is terrific!
    Ohhhh .... condensation bib needed! I always get that but time will tell on multi day trips with a fleece bib breath catcher. Don't like my mouth covered either.
    Glad ya'll got out there...... I got MW4 envy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That was a great trip report Jeff.
    It's awesome that you spend times like these with your kids.
    This was really good news too. I got the MW4 for Christmas.
    Thanks for sharing.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks for the great trip report, Jeff! Good info! I enjoyed your photos too.

I like how you did the straps on the tree for the two hammocks. I'll give that a try when I take my daughter with me.

brrrrr!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Perkolady - Sometimes I hang one end from the same tree and the other end from two different trees that are close together. This helps get more separation, and helps when there are only small trees at one end that may not support two hammockers. Harder to get both hammocks under the same tarp this way, but it works.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Jeff and Joker...
    less than a week in CO and hitting the sub 0F mark!! Awesome!
    MW4 sounds great and jealous of the surroundings!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Bigred's custom
    Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Images

Colorado Springs

Having lived in both areas, I love the mountians in Colorado Springs and Colorado. Check out Eagle Mountain, did a three day'er with friends up there. For a quick local trip, Waldo Canyon is a nice 7 mile round trip with great places to hang a couple of miles in.

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Wald...nLoop_1720.asp

Enjoy!!!
    Bigred

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the recommendation, bigred...definitely looking for quick hikes to go on. Gotta readjust to the altitude and all that. Still getting winded walking up big steps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast