DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    There are some camping areas at Lake Allatoona but I'm not very interested in trying to go there- it's just a little too suburban for my tastes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I have plenty of places to check out now.

Maybe look at Red Top Mountain. FYI, total burn ban pretty much everywhere now, especially in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Also, the Cohutta Wilderness is closed until further notice due to wild fires.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO 4 now
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Red Top that's what I was thinking of lol don't know why I said blood mountain.

I was asking about Altoona more for myself on Christmas weekend. My wife and GSD pup have never hammock camped so somewhere like a rec area that weekend would be perfect if we decide to hang rather than rent a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_GSD View Post
    Red Top that's what I was thinking of lol don't know why I said blood mountain.

I was asking about Altoona more for myself on Christmas weekend. My wife and GSD pup have never hammock camped so somewhere like a rec area that weekend would be perfect if we decide to hang rather than rent a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are several campgrounds around Lake Allatoona. I'm not sure if they operate year round though, some Google-Fu may be in order.

Red Top Mt is also a little too "inhabited" for my taste as well. Although, during the winter it might not be as bad.
    Last edited by johnspenn; 11-10-2016 at 11:42.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    There is tons of secluded stuff around the Ocoee river whitewater center. All the way to big frog. I think they call the area Tanasi. It is in Tennessee but It should only take 1.5 hours to get there from Marietta. Just go to blue ridge and take a left.

I can give you more info if your interested. Just PM me.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO 4 now
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    There are several campgrounds around Lake Allatoona. I'm not sure if they operate year round though, some Google-Fu may be in order.

Red Top Mt is also a little too "inhabited" for my taste as well. Although, during the winter it might not be as bad.
    Yea I like primitive camping as much as possible but since we will only be staying for one night it wont be to bad.

Also check out Georgia Overlands website they have some KMZ file downloads on there that show many of the FS roads and possible campsites. www.georgiaoverland.com

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstarbuck View Post
    There is tons of secluded stuff around the Ocoee river whitewater center. All the way to big frog. I think they call the area Tanasi. It is in Tennessee but It should only take 1.5 hours to get there from Marietta. Just go to blue ridge and take a left.

I can give you more info if your interested. Just PM me.
    Great tip. I had been looking south of Blue Ridge and it didn't occur to me to look north. Some interesting opportunities up there!

Yea I like primitive camping as much as possible but since we will only be staying for one night it wont be to bad.

Also check out Georgia Overlands website they have some KMZ file downloads on there that show many of the FS roads and possible campsites. www.georgiaoverland.com
    Interesting site. I bookmarked it for later study. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Thanks for the info about this site. This could be a ton of fun to explore.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    You should check out Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area (The Nuclear Forest). I have camped, hiked, fished, canoed and hunted there for thirty years. I now live fifteen minutes from the entrance.

Lockheed used the property to do experimentation for nuclear aircraft in the sixties. There is plenty of information about this on the internet. City of Atlanta tract is just west 400 Dawsonville Outlets and Amicalola Creek tract is west of there on Hy 53. If you live close to 285 you can be to CoA tract in less than 45 minutes and AC tract is about an hour.

All camping is primative. CoA tract is really popular with the horse crowd so expect the watch where you step on the extensive trail system. 8^) These trails allow backpacking access to beautiful spots.

The Etowah River and Amicalola Creek cross the property but water access sux right now due to the drought.

PM me your phone number if you want to discuss.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Too bad Pine Mountain is about two hours south of you. The Pine Mountain Trail runs 23 miles (40+ if you count all the loops and side trails) through FDR State Park. We were down there last weekend. Here's a link to my blog entry about the trip: https://getoutga.wordpress.com/2016/...as-i-once-was/ I'm hoping to get back down there sometime in December. Even if you can't make it down there on a Friday there are plenty of out & Back options that can easily be done on a Saturday-Sunday.

Also do some research on the Pinhoti Trail. Most of the Georgia section is within an hour or two of you. If you're interested I have sets of maps (used to be available online, not sure if they are now) that I can send you copies of on a CD.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast