Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I ground sleep a lot when kayaking in So. Utah desert canyons. I have my old 20 degree HG TQ that works fine all summer, and my WL zero degree wide TQ for spring & fall. LOVE top quilts. I have struggled all my life with sleeping bags & zippers. So far, I have never been cold on the ground with a TQ. I think the key for spring & fall has been the wider TQ. I use an Exped Synmat 7 pad. Mine has the built-in hand pump. It works fine, but it's kind of like giving your pad CPR. My bad knee doesn't like to kneel anymore, so the CPR method isn't my favorite. I bought the Exped Schnozzle bag and that works really well. 3-4 bags full of air and my pad is all set. This past year, I've taken to using my Exped pad, partially inflated in my hammock. Works fine for me (after watching Shug's pad in a hammock video of course) and it's something I always carry if trees are a maybe and I have to use my tent.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Another great vid by the man who one evening watching YouTube convinced to me go get a hammock. Thanks Shug. I also found sleeping on the ground with a top quilt very enjoyable the many times I did it. Love all the videos Shug.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I ground sleep a lot when kayaking in So. Utah desert canyons. I have my old 20 degree HG TQ that works fine all summer, and my WL zero degree wide TQ for spring & fall. LOVE top quilts. I have struggled all my life with sleeping bags & zippers. So far, I have never been cold on the ground with a TQ. I think the key for spring & fall has been the wider TQ. I use an Exped Synmat 7 pad. Mine has the built-in hand pump. It works fine, but it's kind of like giving your pad CPR. My bad knee doesn't like to kneel anymore, so the CPR method isn't my favorite. I bought the Exped Schnozzle bag and that works really well. 3-4 bags full of air and my pad is all set. This past year, I've taken to using my Exped pad, partially inflated in my hammock. Works fine for me (after watching Shug's pad in a hammock video of course) and it's something I always carry if trees are a maybe and I have to use my tent.
    I really don't enjoy zippering at all. The schnozzle works great and those Expeds make the ground a lot more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncedbip View Post
    Another great vid by the man who one evening watching YouTube convinced to me go get a hammock. Thanks Shug. I also found sleeping on the ground with a top quilt very enjoyable the many times I did it. Love all the videos Shug.
    Glad I convinced you. Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    Great video, Shug. I also enjoyed the the video about adjusting the Incubator. I absolutely love my HG quilts. I ordered the ground pad attachment kit from HG. I haven't used it yet, though. It consists of some mitten hooks, line locks and shock cord to go aound the pad. It seemed like a good item to have in case I had to go to ground. But, after seeing how you tuck n roll and roll n tuck, I'm thinking the shock cord kit would leave some gaps around my body, as opposed to having the quilt tucked all the way around. Any thoughts on that?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel88 View Post
    Great video, Shug. I also enjoyed the the video about adjusting the Incubator. I absolutely love my HG quilts. I ordered the ground pad attachment kit from HG. I haven't used it yet, though. It consists of some mitten hooks, line locks and shock cord to go aound the pad. It seemed like a good item to have in case I had to go to ground. But, after seeing how you tuck n roll and roll n tuck, I'm thinking the shock cord kit would leave some gaps around my body, as opposed to having the quilt tucked all the way around. Any thoughts on that?
    I say the tuck and roll is easy and versitile. But I never tried the ground pad attachment so can't say for sure.
    But I like easy.
    Tuck is easy in...easy out.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki XL
    Loved the video! If someone could invent a hiking pole/air pump setup, problem solved on that end!! Dual purpose and adds nothing to base weight! Haha!

Sent via sub etha radio
    Sent via sub etha radio

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel88 View Post
    I slept many cold nights on the ground with a top quilt that had the elastic straps wrapped around my sleeping pad and I slept like a baby. I'm a side sleeper normally and toss and turn but I had no draft problem and didn't need to tuck anything anywhere ever.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Standard sizing.....custom as the baffles run different
    Yeah, I was looking at that. Is there some theory behind the torso - longt. tubes/legs - transv. tubes thing?

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FY01CPO View Post
    Loved the video! If someone could invent a hiking pole/air pump setup, problem solved on that end!! Dual purpose and adds nothing to base weight! Haha!

Sent via sub etha radio
    Sounds like you got yourself a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncedbip View Post
    I slept many cold nights on the ground with a top quilt that had the elastic straps wrapped around my sleeping pad and I slept like a baby. I'm a side sleeper normally and toss and turn but I had no draft problem and didn't need to tuck anything anywhere ever.
    I too find myself side sleeping a good bit on the ground. Never in the hammock though.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at that. Is there some theory behind the torso - longt. tubes/legs - transv. tubes thing?

--
    Gadget
    Maybe it will keep a lot of down arounf my foot area. That is the idea. We shall see but so far, so good.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    Rubbish! Shug is just kidding, don't you see? No way he slept on the ground. He laid down only for filming. Pah! The earth is flat and Shug sleeps on the ground!
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast