SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Video: SuperShelter or Radiant Bubble pad with double-layer hammock?

I've had the opportunity to do some extensive testing of both of these under-insulation systems, here's my video review comparing and contrasting the two:

My BackpackGearTest.org review of the Jungle hammock with radiant pad is here.
    My review of the SuperShelter is here.
    Last edited by kwpapke; 11-13-2016 at 23:22.
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Thank-you for the great evaluation/comparison - compliments your reviews (the links in signature area) nicely. I really liked the summary table you have at the end of the video.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Thank-you for the great evaluation/comparison - compliments your reviews (the links in signature area) nicely. I really liked the summary table you have at the end of the video.
    Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I created the summary table before I filmed the review in the field in order to organize my thoughts, so it was easy enough to include it in the video.

Best regards,
    --Kurt

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Another video for my watch later list. I've got the super shelter but not the bubble pad, so I'm interested in learning more about the latter. Your videos are always well worth watching.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Another video for my watch later list. I've got the super shelter but not the bubble pad, so I'm interested in learning more about the latter. Your videos are always well worth watching.
    If you have one, I wouldn't recommend you purchase the other because you pretty much hafta chuck your hammock and buy a new one. Thanks for your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    If you have one, I wouldn't recommend you purchase the other because you pretty much hafta chuck your hammock and buy a new one. Thanks for your kind words!
    I already have the SS. Just curious about the pad, but I think I made the right decision.
    Now that I have an underquilt as well, I'm wondering if it makes sense to try the underquilt WITH the super shelter. I have tried a poncho liner in place of the foam pad without the space blanket with not so great results but I only tried once. Using the SS as designed I've gone to freezing or a few degrees lower.

Assuming I put the underquilt in place of the foam pad, do you think that might work better? Would there be any advantage to using the underquilt with the system as opposed to using it in place of the system? I just wonder if that protector would cause condensation to soak the underquilt or maybe not allow it to loft properly. This is a synthetic UQ, not down.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't own any Hennessy products but the silver pad looks very much like reflectix. I wouldn't recommend that item for very cold temps. The pad almost does its job too well. It can reflect so much body heat as to make the hanger clammy and sweaty. Not a good thing when it freezing.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I already have the SS. Just curious about the pad, but I think I made the right decision.
    Now that I have an underquilt as well, I'm wondering if it makes sense to try the underquilt WITH the super shelter. I have tried a poncho liner in place of the foam pad without the space blanket with not so great results but I only tried once. Using the SS as designed I've gone to freezing or a few degrees lower.

Assuming I put the underquilt in place of the foam pad, do you think that might work better? Would there be any advantage to using the underquilt with the system as opposed to using it in place of the system? I just wonder if that protector would cause condensation to soak the underquilt or maybe not allow it to loft properly. This is a synthetic UQ, not down.
    I use my 3 season Jarbridge under the foam pad when below about 40F (and I always use the space blanket). I only connect the front Jarbridge suspension to the SS mitten hook - the rear suspension is just tucked in. The SS undercover holds it in place. Breath control and good ventilation is important to manage the condensation - a breath catcher and I usually don't use a tarp. I've used vapor barrier clothing with minor improvement, but most condensation is focused where you breath. If you breath on the undercover it will condense and flow past the space blanket into the insulation below.
    I've been toasty at 22F - hasn't been tested below 22F by me.

So, the space blanket is a necessary vapor barrier to avoid excessive condensation below you.
    The Jarbridge alone is only good to about 32F with the HH due to gaps, but added to the SS between the foam and undercover the combo works well - maybe to 15F.

I just started using the SS late last winter, so I've only use a SS for a little over 1 month of cold weather - I am not an expert - Kurt is.

I wonder how stacking two Super Shelter foam pads would work.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-17-2016 at 21:59.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Seems like using the two together is more hassle than it is worth. Lots of setup futzing around. I've done that sort of thing (my -26F with Shug) before I bought an UQ, but now that I have an UQ I use one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I don't own any Hennessy products but the silver pad looks very much like reflectix. I wouldn't recommend that item for very cold temps. The pad almost does its job too well. It can reflect so much body heat as to make the hanger clammy and sweaty. Not a good thing when it freezing.
    I have not experienced that problem, and as I said in the video I've had it down to about 28F.

I use my 3 season Jarbridge under the foam pad when below about 40F (and I always use the space blanket). I only connect the front Jarbridge suspension to the SS mitten hook - the rear suspension is just tucked in. The SS undercover holds it in place. Breath control and good ventilation is important to manage the condensation - a breath catcher and I usually don't use a tarp. I've used vapor barrier clothing with minor improvement, but most condensation is focused where you breath. If you breath on the undercover it will condense and flow past the space blanket into the insulation below.

So, the space blanket is a necessary vapor barrier to avoid excessive condensation below you.
    The Jarbridge alone is only good to about 32F with the HH due to gaps, but added to the SS between the foam and undercover the combo works well - maybe to 15F.

I just started using the SS late last winter, so I've only use a SS for a little over 1 month of cold weather - I am not an expert - Kurt is.

That's pretty interesting. I hear these stories about condensation below but never had it happen to me in 8 years. When I've used the *overcover* I have had condensation on the interior, i.e. my chest, but never beneath me.

FWIW, when I was winter camping in Minnesota along the SHT instead of bringing an UQ I used a winter parka similarly. It is multi-purpose: wear it around camp, then throw it into the undercover when getting into the hammock. I now use a JRB Sierra Stealth top quilt similarly: it has a head hole to use it as a serape around camp.

Thanks so much. Good information. Guess I'm never going to get away from the space blanket. It just seems like such a kludge.

I've considered buying another open cell foam pad, maybe the larger #2 that goes with the Explorer and stuffing it in there with the #1 pad for the Expedition. Bulk might be an issue, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast