Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What nobody will tell you about sleeping in a hammock.

Most problems are caused by your subconscious, it's a jerk.

The first few nights you will not sleep well, because no matter how tiered you are, you subconscious will be sooo excited and won't want to miss any of it. When you do close your eye and drift off into the best sleep ever, your subconscious will feel that very slight sway of the hammock, and exaggerate it and panic "Help we're going to fall"

You will probably also toss and turn a lot - your subconscious says oooh this is sooo comfortable .... but if I turn just a weeny bit ...

Before you start plan carefully where to put everything, you can't just tuck it under your pillow - it won't stay there. Empty you pockets as well, or they do it for you.

When you get up in the middle of the night, if you stand up too fast and make yourself dizzy, leaning on the hammock might not be your best plan.

Practising "bedding control" before hand would be a good idea, but you will still wake up to a cascade to bedding making its way too the ground.

There is plenty more too learn, and I'm sure folks will add many more, but have fun finding It's still waaay better than a bed
    If you're not having fun - you're doing it wrong.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've never had hypnic jerks while sleeping in my hammock. but I usually don't have them in a bed either.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I've started playing the "Has my hammock stopped swaying yet? game. As soon as I close my eyes, I feel like I'm swaying more than my eyes tell me I am. At some point, my hammock will stop swaying, but my mind will tell me that I'm still swinging. After I lose that game, I lay in bed wondering when the swaying sensation in my head will stop...

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I wake up every night in my hammock wondering why no one ever thought to install a Velcro opening in the bottom of the hammock so I wouldn't have to get up every so often to talk to nature. We have in door plumbing why not in hammock?

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    First time I used a hammock I had run nearly a full bottle of whiskey through myself ... no problems falling asleep but had problems getting up...

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    o just you wait till the day you have a bad dream out in the spooky woods, As you look over your shoulder at your shadow thinking someone is behind you, and when you take a second look your shadow attacks. As you wake up rolling and dodging and being super slick as you regain your composure and bearings as your eyes open and your shadow is laughing at you as you lie bloodied and weak in the street, then you wake up.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    o just you wait till the day you have a bad dream out in the spooky woods, As you look over your shoulder at your shadow thinking someone is behind you, and when you take a second look your shadow attacks. As you wake up rolling and dodging and being super slick as you regain your composure and bearings as your eyes open and your shadow is laughing at you as you lie bloodied and weak in the street, then you wake up.
    I rarely remember dreams but this happened to me on a Spring trip this year. Thankfully a solo trip because at ~2:30 AM I woke up screaming out loud thinking that there were lights in the forest and music and then someone pulled on the hammock. After a few seconds when my heart stopped pounding I could only hear the stream nearby. Weirdest dream of my life. Never happened to me before in 25 years in the woods and 2+ in hammocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I have had a few occasions where I feel like I am being stalked/attacked/eyed/brushed by some creature of the night and start jerking around like crazy in this dreamy state with very little reality attached, cause when I do finally grasp reality back from the depths, life is as it should be.
    But I sure hate when the neighbourhood cat(s) brush your UQ....then let their territory marking loose
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    my dog is desensitizing me on a nightly basis. Cody slips in on his way to bed, pokes me with his nose then bumps me with his butt on his way under the computer desk. I have my WW CCF under there for him.

He does the same on his way out in the morning or any time during the night that suits him. So I'm getting used to holding on, because it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Terra Nova
    Insulation
    Graylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just last night I slept out in my back yard right on the edge of the woods. I heard something shuffling in the leaves down hill from me but fell asleep thinking it was an acorn eating animal. I had a strange dream that three cats were hanging around my hammock. One trying to get my attention and two more just on the edge of the woods watching me. It was so clear in my head I still remember what the cats looked like. I don't do cats so it was rather strange. I am sure it came from the noises I heard earlier. Never a dull moment when in the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast