11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I've tried meetup. It's great for meeting hiking folks, but I never had any luck meeting people to backpacking with. The trip planning thread here is a pretty good place to post something. There are a handful of folks in the NoVA area and even more of us just a little bit further south.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I've found that even when I go out alone, I often wind up meeting people on the trail. Then, it is up to me as to whether the trip remains solo or not. Since you are in the DC area, a quick trip over to Shenandoah would put you on the AT, where you would have a similar circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    I've found that even when I go out alone, I often wind up meeting people on the trail. Then, it is up to me as to whether the trip remains solo or not. Since you are in the DC area, a quick trip over to Shenandoah would put you on the AT, where you would have a similar circumstance.
    This is very true, even when I hike with friends we tend to meet others on the trail, especially if we are on the AT. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arltodc View Post
    As for the solo trips, I am not sure that I don't want to go solo, I have just never gone solo before. I was planning to do try some solo trips next year as the weather gets warmer, for hiking longer days. There is just something about sitting around in the long nighttime hours and cold weather by myself that doesn't excite me at this time.
    That's actually why I always go solo. Group trips seem to turn into massive car camps with spreadsheets, money collection, who's bringing what, etc. I can't do it. I want to pack quick and light the night before, drive, then hit the trail. The few group trips I've been on were a good time, but still usually consist of sitting around and burning 92 tons of wood all day after clear cutting the woods. Not my style either.

I wish I had a couple friends that were into backpacking to ask for am easy casual trip, but they have no interest at all.

I could ask here, but it would either turn into a big outing where other people start messing up the plans, or I would feel bad leaving out others.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Anymore I tend to go solo, but it's mostly because I refuse to let the lack of a partner stop me from going. I did that for too long. Folks at home may think I'm crazy or I'll fall off a cliff/get eaten by a bear/murdered by rabid squirrels, but I tell them that's just a chance I'll have to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    When I first started backpacking, I went solo because I did not know anyone that backpacked. I love my solo trips. They have very little planning involved and I can change plans on a whim (although I do leave an intinerary). I also enjoy my trips with others, but it can be difficult due to different schedules. I do carry a SPOT unit; it gives my family peace of mind and yah never know. Try a short and sweet solo trip, maybe to a place you are familiar with just to see if you like it. Other than that, just post a short trip on Hammockforums. You may may turn up someone that you can do future trips with.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Its old school, but join the Sierra Club. They have trips, and you'll meet plenty of outdoorsy folks...
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    Several folks here from MD, NoVA, lower PA. Keep your eye on the trip planning sections for NE and SE and you'll see stuff. Appalachian Trail section hikers on Facebook. And all the other good ideas posted before me. Of course this time of year things start to slow down as there are fewer people who enjoy backpacking in the colder weather.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    I agree with what's been said about large groups so I tend to go out solo or with my wife (I'm lucky we have mostly the same interests). Last weekend I went out solo to the Roaring Plains by Dolly Sods and had a great short day hike and camp trip. I did see a large group at one point but they were all standing around I assume waiting for one of theirs to catch up.

I also agree with posting on this board about any trips you're planning to do. I know if my schedule was open I'd be interested. Most meet ups on this board seem to be about group hangs so it's kind of rare to see any posts about a backpacking trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast