Hammock
    Dutch NylonD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin WL SS
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders/many
    I found my 12ft WP packs smaller than my HH hex fly.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've been debating this for some time since covering bridge hammocks can be difficult with the 11-ft tarp.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Your profile lists a HG Winter Palace. Which length do you have?

Set up your 11' tarp and 11' hammock with the ridgelines close to each other and you'll see there is plenty of coverage on the ends of the hammock.

Now set them up with the tarp raised up higher (1-2') and you'll notice that the hammock ends are closer to the edge of the tarp. (Because of the angle between the ground tie outs and the ridgeline tie outs).

The higher you set the tarp, the longer the ridgeline needs to be, to allow for the same coverage. Along with that, the higher you set the tarp, the more you lose the side coverage. So its a compromise between the two.

I see a lot of people set their tarp low enough for an 11' tarp to work with their 11' hammocks, and still get plenty of side coverage when needed.

Me personally, I prefer to be able to fully stand up under my tarp, so I modded my 12' HG WP by making it wider. That gives me end coverage and side coverage. I also added extra ridgeline tie outs 6" from each end, to accomodate the need to hang between closer tress. This gives me 11', 11'-6", and 12' ridgeline options.

If you are having a hard time deciding between an 11' and 12' tarp, ask HG to make you an 11'-6" tarp.
    It would be very interesting to see pictures of your mod. What do you do with the remaining part of the tarp when you rig it smaller than 12' ? Do you have a way of hanging it so that it doesn't flop with the wind ?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    +1 for 11ft. You don't need the extra length. Just ask the hundreds of WB Superfly owners.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    +1 for 11ft. You don't need the extra length. Just ask the hundreds of WB Superfly owners.
    I've come to this conclusion as well. I recently started contemplating a 12', but it just interferes with the hammock suspension more than I'd like. Harder to set it lower compared to a 11'. The 11' is especially enough with doors since you have the extra protection. I think I'll stick with my Superfly for winter. But If I were to get a CF palace, I'd go 11'.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    12' rectangle with doors would be nice for a bridge hammock, and if one can reduce it to 10' without doors in mild weather with this adjustable ridgeline tie-outs system, that becomes really interesting for a light CF tarp, in my opinion.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Now just to wait until pay day on Friday to order while the sale is still going on. It will be the last thing I need before my hammock set-up is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    It would be very interesting to see pictures of your mod. What do you do with the remaining part of the tarp when you rig it smaller than 12' ? Do you have a way of hanging it so that it doesn't flop with the wind ?

I don't have any pics of my mod. I merely added another tie out attachment on each end, the same way as HG does. The difference being I made the reinforcement patch larger.

The extra fabric just gets folded inward, under the tarp. It doesn't flop.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I understand that 12ft will give me less options with narrower-spaced trees but is this really a huge issue.
    It sounds like you’ve already decided on this, but just for the record since no one has addressed the tree options issue:

Yes, it is a BIG issue if you are backpacking in some areas. Maybe not on the east coast, but in many areas there is a huge advantage to a smaller setup so you can get into smaller spots. Especially in subalpine areas where trees are smaller or in the desert where trees are scarce. Many times I’ve barely squeezed my 11 foot tarp into a spot with zero room to spare. Having a smaller setup when you are backpacking in such areas may mean the difference between having to hike a few more miles to find another set of trees, or, (gasp!) going to ground.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have both an 11' Warbonnet Mamajamba and a 12' UGQ Hanger tarp.

the 11' is a little lighter and I have it set up with lightweight lines and stakes; great for backpacking where I just want to set up, sleep, and head out early the next day.

the 12' is more for when I'll be in one place more than one day. my purpose in getting the 12' is so I can hang the tarp higher. porch mode is a lot better when it's higher rather than having to duck...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast