Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I have both an 11' Warbonnet Mamajamba and a 12' UGQ Hanger tarp.

the 11' is a little lighter and I have it set up with lightweight lines and stakes; great for backpacking where I just want to set up, sleep, and head out early the next day.

the 12' is more for when I'll be in one place more than one day. my purpose in getting the 12' is so I can hang the tarp higher. porch mode is a lot better when it's higher rather than having to duck...
    You've just convinced me on the 12'. Car camping would certainly be nicer with that extra real estate for my bridge hammock.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I have both an 11' Warbonnet Mamajamba and a 12' UGQ Hanger tarp.

the 11' is a little lighter and I have it set up with lightweight lines and stakes; great for backpacking where I just want to set up, sleep, and head out early the next day.

the 12' is more for when I'll be in one place more than one day. my purpose in getting the 12' is so I can hang the tarp higher. porch mode is a lot better when it's higher rather than having to duck...
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    You've just convinced me on the 12'. Car camping would certainly be nicer with that extra real estate for my bridge hammock.
    For car camping I think the 12ft would be great. Since I am backpacking with my gear 95% of the time the 11ft seems to make the most sense.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    For car camping I think the 12ft would be great. Since I am backpacking with my gear 95% of the time the 11ft seems to make the most sense.
    Dune, that's where I come out on it. 11ft is plenty long to cover an 11ft hammock if pitched close and it's a little lighter than a 12ft in the bargain.

now you need to decide whether you want a wider 11' like a Mamajamba or a Superfly or a narrower one like the Edge (just using Warbonnet tarps as examples, not suggestions).

I started with a Mamajamba as my "only" tarp. it's wide enough for three seasons and it has pullouts, which I really like if there's a strong wind. unless, of course, you prefer wearing the tarp on your face all night...

now that I have a 12' for car/canoe camping, I'm debating replacing my Mamajamba with the smaller/lighter Edge just for backpacking. the difference is 2.75oz in weight but I give up 1ft in width on each side, and the pullouts.

decisions, decisions...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm debating replacing my Mamajamba with the smaller/lighter Edge just for backpacking. the difference is 2.75oz in weight but I give up 1ft in width on each side, and the pullouts.
    I contemplated that EXACT same thing for a long time. I ultimately went with a the cuben hex. But the Edge is a good option if you don't want to spend the money or get into something total new like cuben.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Dune, that's where I come out on it. 11ft is plenty long to cover an 11ft hammock if pitched close and it's a little lighter than a 12ft in the bargain.

now you need to decide whether you want a wider 11' like a Mamajamba or a Superfly or a narrower one like the Edge (just using Warbonnet tarps as examples, not suggestions).

I started with a Mamajamba as my "only" tarp. it's wide enough for three seasons and it has pullouts, which I really like if there's a strong wind. unless, of course, you prefer wearing the tarp on your face all night...

now that I have a 12' for car/canoe camping, I'm debating replacing my Mamajamba with the smaller/lighter Edge just for backpacking. the difference is 2.75oz in weight but I give up 1ft in width on each side, and the pullouts.

decisions, decisions...
    My only query was with the length. The Winter Palace from HG is what I've had my eye on for a long time. I think it will also be a good tarp to use to go to ground if necessary (which I may have to on my CT thru-hike next year).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    not that it matters significantly, but just fyi, 11' actually means tip to tip of ridgeline tie-outs so the actual ridgeline length of the tarp material will be shorter than 11'. more like 10'8" or so.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Interesting discussion... I recently posted a similar question about a UGQ Winter Dream 11 vs 12... feedback was almost opposite of this thread... i.e. more said they went with the 12 and are glad they did.

I pulled the trigger on a WD 12 yesterday on the Black Friday sale. Maybe I'll find or realize the need for a 11ft tarp one day? We'll see as I have not yet been to many 'different' places as I just started hanging this fall. I've spent around 30 nights out in the past 3 months, but must have been in my back yard

I'm 6'3, so I like my tarp a little higher. Most of my use will be in the BWCA where 12' can be tight, but doable w/o to much work. One day if I realize an 11 ft is better, I'll move that direction, but for now, going to give the WD 12 w/ dual internal (porch mode) poles a try.

Here's a link to that discussion: UGQ WD 11 vs 12 link

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Interesting discussion... I recently posted a similar question about a UGQ Winter Dream 11 vs 12... feedback was almost opposite of this thread... i.e. more said they went with the 12 and are glad they did.

I pulled the trigger on a WD 12 yesterday on the Black Friday sale. Maybe I'll find or realize the need for a 11ft tarp one day? We'll see as I have not yet been to many 'different' places as I just started hanging this fall. I've spent around 30 nights out in the past 3 months, but must have been in my back yard

I'm 6'3, so I like my tarp a little higher. Most of my use will be in the BWCA where 12' can be tight, but doable w/o to much work. One day if I realize an 11 ft is better, I'll move that direction, but for now, going to give the WD 12 w/ dual internal (porch mode) poles a try.

Here's a link to that discussion: UGQ WD 11 vs 12 link
    I think the doors are what makes the difference IMO...it seems you can get away with a slightly shorter tarp if you have doors since the weather protection is 360, not just on two sides. It is interesting that the argument over on that thread is opposite with more people advocating for the 12ft. Why is this so difficult to make a decision on...I only have a couple of days to decide for sure.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I think the doors are what makes the difference IMO...it seems you can get away with a slightly shorter tarp if you have doors since the weather protection is 360, not just on two sides. It is interesting that the argument over on that thread is opposite with more people advocating for the 12ft. Why is this so difficult to make a decision on...I only have a couple of days to decide for sure.
    Was in the EXACT Same boat ... still not sure I made the right decision w/ the WD 12... lots of satisfied Superfly owners and WD11 / HG CF 11 w/ doors owners.... Lots who say they are glad they went with the 12's.... So, I opted for comfort and will see if I made the right decision.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    The WP is made to pitch low and push snow up to the edge to create a "winter palace". That's why the WP sides are straight. The same principle applies in a rain storm, you want to pitch it low to avoid rain blowing in from the bottom. Also, you want to try and remove any gaps in the doors. To do this you have to cross the doors and pull them in tight. The same rules apply to silnylon and silpoy tarps with the same cuts as the WP. This is how I see the design ...

11 ft for gathered end hammocks
    12 ft tarp with doors, why? You gain nothing and lose some. I guess it would be weird to just offer an 11 ft and 13 ft tarp.
    13 ft for bridge hammocks (like the ridgerunner) to be able to close the doors properly and have the panel pulls spaces closer to the spreader bars

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast