Quilt Recommendation

I live in SE US. Coldest so far that I have camped is around 28F. I used a Greylock 3 and was fine with no baselayers. That being said, I do tend to sleep a little on the cool side, but at 28F with the 3/4 quilt and just a synthetic t shirt and shorts, I was fine. I'm thinking about taking advantage of the sales. How much difference exists in bulk between a full length 0 degree with 1 oz over-stuff and a 20 degree with 1 oz over-stuff. I thinking about the over-stuff in both cases to reduce the shifting down. TNX.

It doesn't look like a lot until you try to cram them in a pack. I recently got a 0deg +3 overstuff UQ (Incubator), and it eats up a lot more pack room than my greylocks. My wife uses a 0deg TQ (High sierra sniveler), and I generally use a 20-25deg (Hudson river). Her 0 degree quilts eat up noticeably more pack space compared to my greylock 3 and Hudson river.

IMO you'd be happy with a 20deg, especially with a tad of overstuff.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I can tell you I like you live in the south and if you are camping in the winter you'll need a 0 degree quilt or jump through hoops
    with add on insulation. It easily gets to or near 20 degees at night in sone of these places we hike. Get a bigger winter pack and stay warm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I mean - if we take things at face value that you slept to the 20's with "no base layer" with greylock 3 + Hudson River (I have this very combo myself) and did "fine" - then perhaps you only need 20.

I have slept in that same combo in AL here where I reside down to low of about 28 degrees although I used in addition UQ protector and some closed cell foam and a small piece of reflectix at my foot end and stayed comfortable and slept well.

Having said all that - I get cold easy I am kinda now a bit "over" my 3/4 length and want full length - my 6 year old is now using my greylock at his quilt for full coverage.

I'm still evaluating my wooki as we speak as my new full length option - I'm not prepared just yet to give it my unambiguous thumbs up.

I plan on getting a zero degree quilt though personally for temps that dip into the 20's or lower.

Difficult question to answer if you HAVE only one choice

I would go with a 20 degree based on what you have said and supplement with an UQ protector and see how you do.

I fear the zero degree one if you must use for temps that start in low 50's when going to bed then dip down to say 38-40 - you will get too hot? I have had that issue with the greylock 3 - so....well food for thought ?

I'm no expert keep in mind....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was fine at 28F with the Greylock 3 with no base layers until around 4 am when the "old furnace" got low. Next time I try it, I'm going to eat something before I go to bed to see if that will keep the furnace stoked.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    These all have +1 oz overfill:

A 0° set certainly eats up space once you start packing! I've taken my 20°+1 into single digits several times and I was fine. I would only recommend a 0° if you were frequently in the low 20s.

But a 0° set isn't a huge problem either. Here they are in my 65L Osprey, with all the other gear for a 3-day trip (highs 18° max, lows around 10). You can see the pack lid looks floppy, so there's still plenty of room if I needed it.

Good pics, pretty much sums it up.

• + New Posts