DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by KYHiker View Post
    Glad nothing embarrassing happens in the woods! And don't tag me I like to stay anon as possible on the world wide web! Witness protection and all that...
    Amen to that brother!!
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Looks like I'll be doing a long weekend in the RRG 3/11,12,13 and maybe 14 after the RRGTC duties Saturday. I can't wait to try out the underquilt and get some QT in the woods!

Kentucky, sometimes. In the woods, all the time.
    Hammock
    Dutchware Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG - Inc 20/Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by KYHiker View Post
    Looks like I'll be doing a long weekend in the RRG 3/11,12,13 and maybe 14 after the RRGTC duties Saturday. I can't wait to try out the underquilt and get some QT in the woods!
    Sounds awesome! I wish I had a little more free time these days. I've been back to Michigan this past weekend and will be in Cincinnati for work this weekend and part of next week.

I did manage to get out for a short overnighter 2 weekends ago. Even though it got down to 22*, it was a pretty good trip. My HG TQ and UQ kept me nice and warm! Let us know if yours does the same.
    Get out and hike!
    www.RedTrailedHawk.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Your HG quilts 20 or 0 rated? This 3/4 quilt I got is 20 rated and Saturday is looking like a 20 low for the night. Guess I'll find out if I'm a cold sleeper or not. I use a down bag for a top quilt and have no idea of its rating....

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG - Inc 20/Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Mine are both rated 20*, which for me personally means 30*. It was 22* when I woke up that next morning and I was doing fine, but I slept in clothes and had what I was to be wearing the next day in there with me as well, providing some extra insulation. I'm certainly comfortable with saying that "freezing" is about my limit, give or take a little.
    Get out and hike!
    www.RedTrailedHawk.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Got ya, sounds like you run 10F colder (warmer?) than rated, at least for HG specs. So a 0F rating would get you to 10F or so. I used to be that way until about 10 years ago. But that is when I started putting on more weight. Seems to vary more for me now (less tolerant to temp extremes). I used to sleep in July and August with no problems. Now I toss and turn unless night time temps get below 75F... In the winter months I do fine unless the wind is blowing or it is damp to about 30ish. I have avoided anything colder due to lack of down/insulation. This weekend will be a nice test for me and the Phoenix for sure.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG - Inc 20/Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes, I sleep much colder now that I've shed 70 pounds. So, I tend to err about 10* conservative. Let us know how it works out!
    Get out and hike!
    www.RedTrailedHawk.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Well it was 19F Sunday morning at pre-dawn and the HG Phoenix 20F passed the test. Apparently the down sleeping bag I have is rated lower and has an inferior type of down (duck maybe?). Its thicker and heavier by far than the UQ. I never got cold except my face, so I used an old fleece blanket draped over the hammock ridge line to catch the frost from my breath (thanks Shug for the idea!). Kept my face warm that way. Excellent investment! I had a small sit pad I used inside the foot area of the sleeping bag to keep my feet on... worked very well. Happily it wasn't as cold this morning but with the weather turning wet I decided to come home.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Good to hear you stayed warm . I've never heard of the fleece blanket trick but if it worked then that is all that mattered . Was you car camping or did you hike in and camp ? I'm taking my boys back to big south fork for a 8 mile 3 day hike . Going to try a hammock away from the car for the first time but I think they are ready. I've made them some down throw topquilts so I don't think weight will be a issue .

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Campalot View Post
    Good to hear you stayed warm . I've never heard of the fleece blanket trick but if it worked then that is all that mattered . Was you car camping or did you hike in and camp ? I'm taking my boys back to big south fork for a 8 mile 3 day hike . Going to try a hammock away from the car for the first time but I think they are ready. I've made them some down throw topquilts so I don't think weight will be a issue .
    Saturday Night was a car camp at the Trail Crew campground. Sunday was a short (less than 3 miles each way) in and out hike, I stayed in the valley between Double arch and Courthouse rock on Auxier branch much closer to the headwaters of the creek for seclusion...almost stealth camping...I just found a spot in the woods by the creek..no fire ring...it wasn't really flat but it wasn't steep either...just far enough away from the creek that I wouldn't fall in if I got up in the middle of the night!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast