Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    What about using something like the Adventure Medical Kits Thermo-Lite Bivvy? If y'all haven't seen these its a soft flexible fabric.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...%202.0%20Bivvy
    See below link to picture. Did that in my old Clark NA with the above bivvy. Worked fine that night. I sure prefer my JRB quilts under, AHE BBO over my BB nowadays.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=8205&c=2

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    What's the reasoning behind having the SB inside the insulation?
    If you add a SB to the layers of the UQ you are making, it should be topmost, right under the hammock, so that it can reflect the heat of your body right back at you, and so that it can bar the passage of vapor into your insulation.

You could make it without the SB, and spread the SB on top of it when you think you need it.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Cool. Thanks Mac! I think I'll also be using my poncho over the ridgeline as an overcover (gonna leave a hole so it doesn't rain..), so I think this'll work!

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Well I'm back from my trip, and can say with absolute certainty that my quilt is NOT rated for single digits! The low for the night was probably 8 or 10F, and I had a cool butt all night, but my feet were freezing, even with a foot warmer in each sock. I wish I'd brought my pad. :-( Woke up several times during the night, had some freaky dreams (panther outside the tarp, hammocking on the edge of a big prairie with hordes of animals all around me, woke up unsure if the panther dream was real or not...)
    I rigged my (8x10) tarp real close, with the windward end closed, and it acted like an overcover somewhat, and got some frost, but I was kinda expecting that, since it didn't have a whole lot of air flow.
    I extended the quilt with a stadium blanket (light cordura nylon with a fleece liner) I made into a 3/4 quilt, and the combo together would probably work down to about 20 or so. I really wish I'd taken my thermarest. :-( Oh well, there's (almost) always next time. Didn't take my camera (too cold), so no pics of everything set up, but I'm sure you guys know pretty much what it looked like.
    Stay warm out there, and always have backup insulation!

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123