Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    i don't have a picture of the space blanket because it got torn up in the wind the other day, but this is my new attempt, the old down filled throw, it's pretty warm. i think i will retry the Space blanket when i get time to go to walmart again. but until then this so i have something to compare it to

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    What about using something like the Adventure Medical Kits Thermo-Lite Bivvy? If y'all haven't seen these its a soft flexible fabric.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...%202.0%20Bivvy
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    i've never seen that before, but i think i'll have to order one. that's a good idea, thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray022085 View Post
    i've never seen that before, but i think i'll have to order one. that's a good idea, thanks for the heads up!
    Ray,

How heavy is your down throw? With some modifications you could get it to fit like an underquilt. I don't know how cold it would take you, but would be an easy first DIY project. I think the cheapest and warmest solution would be to get one of the 25 wide blue CCF pads from the Manville Wal-mart. I saw they had them for ~$10. If you go the pad route a DIY Speer Pad Extender is another really easy project.

DG

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoat View Post
    With some modifications you could get it to fit like an underquilt.
    That's what I was thinking... just attach small loops at the corners, and in three or four places along the ends. That's a poor man's channel, through which you put a drawstring to cinch the ends, and make it fit better.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray022085 View Post
    They are pretty cool, I was thinking on hanging mine under my Eno as an underquilt since I already have one.... I just need the freaking rain to stop for 3 seconds.
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I tried something similar last spring---I used a hammock sock with a space blanket inside (on the bottom) with no pad inside the hammock. (I had a warm synthetic quilt for a TQ) I was wearing poly pro tops and bottoms, and a warm hat. It got down to the high 40's that night with no wind. to say the least, it didnt work out well for me---I was freezing by the time the sun came up. Ive used a similar set up when the low was in the 60's and did fine, but this night I was out of my comfort range. (infact I cut my trip short and called it a day) For winter use I gave up on the idea and bought a peapod.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    So I'm making a Insultex-like quilt with some Warm And White insulation, a space blanket, and some ripstop. Should the space blanket be outside the insulation, or inside?
    Like:
    HAMMOCK
    Shell
    Space B.
    Insulat.
    Shell
    OUTSIDE AIR

Or:

HAMMOCK
    Shell
    Insulat.
    Space B.
    Shell
    OUTSIDE AIR

Ideas?
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    So I'm making a Insultex-like quilt with some Warm And White insulation, a space blanket, and some ripstop. Should the space blanket be outside the insulation, or inside?
    SB should be topmost, right under the hammock.

Warm & White is cotton... another reason to put the SB on top so condensation doesn't get into the cotton.

The Warm Company has some interesting products, although they are a bit expensive. How thick is W&W? What does it weigh?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Sorry, I meant Soft and White, it's polyester. I looked on the website, and I think it's 4 oz/sq. yd. I got an 80" length 90"wide, and cut the extra and laid it diagonal, so I'll have 2 layers underneath me.
    010800_0201[00].jpg
    It's going well, the biggest problem I'm having is keeping everything lined up while I sew my quilting bits. I'm just semi-randomly sewing little 2" bars all over, roughly 10" apart. Gonna try pins and see if that helps any.

I'm going hiking tomorrow, and the low for Sat. night is 10F, so I'm really hoping this works, but I've got a pad for backup which alone will get me down to about 30F.

What's the reasoning behind having the SB inside the insulation?

Thanks,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast