Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    looks better than my first attempt at a stuff sack which still hasn't been finished. I just can't get the hem right for the drawstring. I keep sewing it to the other side of the sack
    Make a separate drawstring channel. It's a lot easier and looks a lot nicer when you're done.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Make a separate drawstring channel. It's a lot easier and looks a lot nicer when you're done.

separate channel you lost me there

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Instead of trying to hem a channel into the top of the sack, just hem the sack normally. Then cut a separate strip of sil, 3" wide by whatever the circumference of your sack is. Use the width measurement you cut the sack material to. Hem both short ends of the strip, then fold in half long-ways and sew a line close to where the two cut edges are. Now you've got a stand-alone drawstring channel. Then just sew the channel onto the hem you put on the top of the sack, which should leave about an inch unsewn for the drawstring to run through.

That's probably not very clear, so feel free to make me elaborate :P
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I sewn the wrong side of a couple of those. I usually make the drawstring channel first, before I sew the bottom on. I think this makes it a lot cleaner. Then again I also sew circle botttoms instead of the square thingys for the same reason.

I have sewn a seperate piece on for the drawstring on a couple things. It is a good way to close the end of the bag without losing any width.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Instead of trying to hem a channel into the top of the sack, just hem the sack normally. Then cut a separate strip of sil, 3" wide by whatever the circumference of your sack is. Use the width measurement you cut the sack material to. Hem both short ends of the strip, then fold in half long-ways and sew a line close to where the two cut edges are. Now you've got a stand-alone drawstring channel. Then just sew the channel onto the hem you put on the top of the sack, which should leave about an inch unsewn for the drawstring to run through.

That's probably not very clear, so feel free to make me elaborate :P
    ok I understand but I still end-up having to sew this to the sack without sewing both sides together. My machine doesn't have an arm which makes it more difficult/aggravating to hem/sew a circle. I have no patience when it comes to this. I throw it across the room and leave it for a few days which turns into weeks then months..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    ok I understand but I still end-up having to sew this to the sack without sewing both sides together. My machine doesn't have an arm which makes it more difficult/aggravating to hem/sew a circle. I have no patience when it comes to this. I throw it across the room and leave it for a few days which turns into weeks then months..lol
    lol, I know that feeling. Sometimes that's what it takes until you can figure it out. Taking a break from a project, then coming back to it is the best thing.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ewker - you can do it w/o having to sew in a circle.

1 - Sew a small fold in 2 corners of the fabric. This will be where the drawstring exits the channel.
    2 - Fold down the big hem for the drawstring channel. The folds you just sewed in step 1 will be on the ends of the channel....basically acting like a hem for the ends of the drawstring channel.
    3 - Fold the fabric in half and sew the long seam to for it into a bag. Sew all the way up to the channel, but don't sew the channel closed.
    4 - Thread in the drawstring, stuff your stuff in, hike out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that would be a good basic sewing example to have w/ instructions & pictures.
    that's how i've been making my stuff sacks... just sew across the bottom & up the side.
    no circle or square bottom. works fine. quick & simple. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    that's how i've been making my stuff sacks... just sew across the bottom & up the side.
    no circle or square bottom. works fine. quick & simple. ...tim
    I did the stuff sack I made almost the same, across the bottom and up the side. But then sewed across the bottom on opposite corners diagonally and cut off the excess leaving a square bottom. It worked for me!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I did mine per the instructions on thru-hiker.com
    http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=12&cid=5

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast