Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommendation for my 12 year old scout who wants a hammock

After comming back from a his first Scout camping expedition, all the other boys are using hammocks and so my son is begging for one so we thought we would get him one for Christmas.

I've done exhaustive research trying to balance between just getting something simple and something that will be durable.

So can someone give some recomendations?

We live in Utah.

I'm not much of a DIYer so the Hennessey Hammocks seem interesting but I'm open to anyone recommendations. Hoping to spend all in $150 or less.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    If you want to go simple and durable you can go with a single layer Dutch hammock and the whole suspension set up under $100. 11' may be big for him now but once he grows you won't have to buy him another one. Right now hammocks from Dutch is $5 off
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

If you are looking for a whole set up you will have a hard time keeping it under $150. But you could get a Dutch hammock with suspension (about $60), Kelty Noah 12 tarp (currently $41 on Amazon), then use a pad and sleeping bag and that should get him started.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Dutch also recommends the cinch buckle suspension for kids
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Get him a Hennessey Expedition complete with tarp and bug net.

Best value for your buck imho.

Carl

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Lynx & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Recommendation for my 12 year old scout who wants a hammock

Right now REI has an ENO One Link complete system at $109. certainly not a cottage vendor but would likely serve him well as long as the weight isn't a problem. For a hammock, bug net, tarp and suspension, I think it's a great place to start.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, DH's, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Swag
    I bought the grandsons Dream Hammock Dariens. $100 each w/ integrated Bug net and super light. They hang them in their bedrooms as well as bushcraft ing with Grandpa. I have hammocks from many cottage vendors and DH is the best of a great bunch.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Through this weekend you can pick up a Blackbird from Warbonnet for $119 (Black Friday sale). (Resale value for a used Blackbird is higher than that here on the Hammock Forum!)

The Blackbird is an extremely comfortable camping hammock. It has an attached zipped bugnet, so his covers won't kick out to the ground overnight. It has a shelf (think giant pocket on one side) that he can put his shoes, an extra blanket, and flashlight in so they are readily accessible to have without even unzipping his hammock. No spiders crawling in his shoes overnight!

You might want to get the double layer one, so he can slip a cheap blue WaMart camp pad between the two layers in temps below 70 degrees, to keep from getting chilly underneath. The double layer style keeps the pad from slipping out of place in the night as he moves around in the hammock.

The Blackbird comes with everything needed to hang it. No extra straps to buy. (The cinch buckle straps come with the hammock.) No bugnet to buy. (It's integral to the hammock.)

My 14 year old loves her Blackbird. She started out with an ENO, but the Blackbird was a huge upgrade (much lighter and much more compact than the ENO hammock, straps, and bugnet...not to mention way more comfortable). I couldn't get her to sleep in her old ENO now if I tried. She isn't even tempted by my 11 foot Dutch hammock. To be fair, though, I can't even tempt her with my nicer (in my opinion!) Blackbird XLC! She just LOVES that Blackbird of hers! (The Blackbird XLC is the more expensive 11 foot version of the original 10 foot Blackbird. My daughter HIGHLY FAVORS the regular Blackbird. And we do a LOT of year round hammock camping--probably 18-20 trips a year.)

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird/

(Blackbird is normally $170 new, but is on sale for $119 right now. If you ever want to sell it, they sell used VERY quickly here on the forum for $130-150. Warbonnet doesn't have sales very often. I bought a three year old Blackbird used here on the Forum a few months ago, myself, for $130, for my college-aged daughter. Blackbirds have great resale value here on the Forums.)

Tarp recommendations for the Blackbird hammock:
    For mild weather camping, the Edge (from Warbonnet) regularly priced $95
    For winter/cold weather camping SuperFly (from Warbonnet) $140

I use my Edge tarp (smaller and more compact than the SuperFly) year round with my Blackbird XLC, but my daughter prefers the SuperFly because the ends close off like a tent, so she can change clothes in it. Also it blocks the wind lots better in cold weather.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-26-2016 at 13:18.

Hammock
    DH- Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winterdream
    Insulation
    HG 20, UGQ Zep. 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I ordered a couple 11' outpost hammocks from wildhorn outfitters off amazon along with a Kelty 12' Tarp. The outpost hammocks come with cinch buckle suspension for $50 bucks. I have a dream hammock and love it, but was looking for something to let my kids feel out hammock camping before investing in higher quality gear. I will also be getting them a couple synthetic underquilts from AHE. You can not go wrong with the quality products from dream hammock, but it just really comes down to how much you are willing to spend on gear to get them started. If my boys grow to love hammock camping i'll most definitely give Randy a call at Dream Hammock!

Hammock
    Dutchwear
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Katabatic w/LLG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ENO Onelink system for $109 from REI and an Arrowhead Equipment Jarbridge 3 season underquilt for $85 plus taxes. Sleeping bag, down throw, fleece blanket, etc. for top insulation

Not the lightest or most compact setup but it's durable and easy to use. Everyones hammock preferences are going to vary. My 13 year old (5'9" tall) uses a setup that is basically the above one by choice because he is familiar with it and can set it up on his own. Even takes it backpacking over lighter options. My 16 year old prefers a tent (!) and won't sleep in a hammock.

Other option of ENO Singlenest or similar hammock for $45 - $50, choice of straps for around $30, foam pad for $5, Kelty Tarp 12 for $53, and bug net from Dutchware for $57. Total around $190 but a DIY Bugnet and Costco underquilt could save some money. Side note, my kids and wife all found the Kelty 12 difficult to set up on their own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast