Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modular UQ

Images

Modular UQ

I'm in the planning stages for my first UQ. (Made my first hammock and tarp for a trip this summer and was still a little chilly at night when it got down to about 65 by the river.) I want to do something that will cover me for pretty much anything, and I'm a big fan of multipurpose/multiuse gear. But, I'm married with a 9 month old child (read: POOR). It's after Christmas now though, and I find myself back in the role of the kid with some Christmas money burning a hole in his pocket. so it's time to figure out what i'm really going to do.

Here's my thought so far. I'll try to break them down into easily criticizable sections. Once it's been ripped apart, I'll hopefully have a much better end product to actually make. I'll document that all here as well.

1) The plan

I'm going to make a UQ that can work for different conditions. It will actually be 3 of them. One that's half length, one 3/4 length, and one full length. They'll each be made to go inside a shell which will provide protection and suspension. (Think a variation on the modular sleeping bag.)

2) Finished Dimensions

Outer Shell: 81"long x 48"wide x 6" thick
    2/4 UQ: 42" long x 48" wide x 3" thick
    3/4 UQ: 66" long x 48" wide x 2" thick
    4/4 UQ: 81" long x 48" wide x 1" thick

3) Construction

Make them all like boxes with sewn corners to maintain height at edges.

Sew velcro strips to the lengthwise edges of each to join together when used in conjunction.

Attach to upper side of shell with velcro strip.

Upper side of shell has cord channels for attachment to suspension/position adjustment.

Both ends of shell close using velcro strips.

If down insulation- Karobox baffles with 20% overfill
    If climashieldinsulation- yarn loops

4) Materials

Shell:
    Bottom half- waterproof coated nylon (same as used for shell) in wicked sweet USA digital camo from $1.50 bin at wally world.
    Top half- uncoated version of same fabric, but sprayed with waterproofer (BPS version- says it's non-sil and gets waterproof but stays breathable).

UQs;
    exterior- uncoated ripstop from wal-mart
    insulation- undecided between down and sythetic, leaning towards climashield combat from thruhiker.com (remember the POOR part from above)

5) Additional Parameters for Consideration

I am on a budget.

I am not a gram weenie. I'm not a distance hiker. I may end up a couple miles from the car, but even then I'm the quintessential overpacker who will take the kitchen sink and all the tools I need to plumb it in place when i get there.

I would like to be able to minimize volume. This all goes in a kayak too, so the less space it takes up, the more room for beer.

I want to have the full length quilt able to do double duty as a TQ at times.

6) Existing Questions

How does climashield compare with down for compressibiliity? Is it worth twice the price? (to me that would be at least 100% savings in volume)

Should i consider a different materials, particularly the full length since i want to double it as a TQ?

Has anybody else done this? (I looked around and didn't see it, but I have to imagine it's been done before.)

Please feel free to point out even the most obvious flaws in logic, failures in planning, and simple gross stupidity.

I'm really grateful to all the minds and hands here with far more experience, expertise, and ability than I have. I'd have never made it this far without the guidance of the forum.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Interesting idea. I think I've read about some similar versions of this.

Could you explain your thinking on the thickness versus length that you listed? How are you planning to use these, singly or in combination?

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Images
    Thickness- just kind of what i picked. My thinking is this combination will let me get the most "bang for my buck" and put the most insulation in the best location relative to my core.

Length- based on my height. I want to cover from my head to my butt with the 1/2, to a little below my knees with the 3/4, and everything with a little extra room on each end with the full.

I'm planning on using them both independently and in conjuction. That is, when it's really cold, i can stack them all together, and when it's warmer, i can use any combination to get the insulation i want.

And if it's really really cold, i figure i can just stuff some extra leaves an/or extra clothes or whatever into the remaining empty portion of the shell and get to six inches full length.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just an opinion here, but I'm sure you would NEVER need 6" of thickness if you go with Climashield. My current experience is that 2" to 2-1/2" thickness will get me into the low 20's. I've got a full length underquilt made with 5oz. Climashield XP(1.2" thick) that is comfortable into the upper 30's(for me) and then I have a narrow 2/3 length made with the same that I slip in between if it's going to be colder.

Down is another story. You would probably never need more than a 4" to 4-1/2" thickness for normal winter camping. Before I went back to Climashield, I was using a down underquilt.

I do think your layering idea has merit since that's basically what I'm currently using. I'm sure some other folks will chime in here with their views.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have done a couple of versions of the basic idea. The picture is my full length UQ with my 1/2 UQ to better fit the BlackBird footbox.
    Now I use my 1/2 UQ with my Winter Yeti 1/2 UQ. A piece of velcro holds it together.
    Shug

UQs.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    If i can get away with thinner, i'm all for it. I'm a pretty warm sleeper, so what's good for most will likely be good for me as well.

Maybe I'll just make all three lengths about an inch thick.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    JRB also has a modular UQ (bottom of page).
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Interesting idea.

Why not just make a single layer synethic/down underquilt and have a pocket in it that you can add additional layers of insulation. I believe that the original Synthetic Yeti had a similar principle. Based upon your expected conditions you could adjust the number of layers of insulation before the trip.

DG

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just got done with making an UQ with climashield over Thanksgiving and about to test it out this weekend. I got the insulation from RainShed.com. It had a better price for the 6oz insulation. (Really nice company to work with, and fast.) I made mine with two layers and paned to supplement with a CCF pad.
    I think making a convertible version like JRB or Shug is a good idea. Go ahead and order extra insulation and make a TQ while you are at it. I got 7 yards of 6oz for $85. I had about a yard left over and made a pillow with it.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have also been toying with an idea similar to this, only a two layer system. A half (or 3/4) under quilt made with 5 oz. Climashield (1.2"), and a full size with two layers of the same. Then a top quilt made of 5 oz. Climashield, and another oversized one of two layers of the same. The single layer one would fit inside the double layered one. Any of them could be used independently or together depending on the weather.
    How is the Climashield for compressability? And has anyone experienced any degradation of it through repeatedly compressing it in stuff sacks?
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast