Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where to obtain a 12ft top bar for my TurtleDog Stand?

Hi all,

Question. I live in Chicago and have been to a Home Depot and a Menards and all I can find are max. 10 ft length top poles. I have an 11ft hammock, and my tripods are both 6ft high. I would realistically like a 12 ft cross bar but for the life of me I cannot find one. I was thinking of just purchasing two 6 ft black pipes and putting a conjoiner in between them, but the ones i've looked don't come threaded so conjoining them would be impossible.

So where the heck am I supposed to obtain the last piece of my TurtleDog Stand? Does anyone have any links?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    You can check at a local plumbing supplier, or steel supplier. They should have pipe in 21' lengths. They'll normally cut it for you.

You could also buy two pipes and a coupler. I'd reinforce the joint by slipping a 2' long smaller diameter pipe inside across the joint.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I believe 1" EMT conduit is just right, and should be avail at HD or any hardware store. Buy 2 10' sections, cut to the total length you want. TATO sells the connector, or just cut a 1" dowel to fit, with 6-9" into each section. I don't think there's a lot of shear pressure on the center of the cross bar- mostly compression and not that much of that...
    CMFSAT

Interesting. I never saw the 1" EMT Conduit before, and its cheaper then the others. So you're saying that I buy 2 10" lengths, get each one cut down to about 6 feet, maybe 6.5 feet, then buy a connector? What type of conjoiner should I get? I would like to be sturdy and durable but obviously easy enough to dissemble.

Would this be good enough?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-Elec...-202241090-_-N

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You can get 2 top fence rails. They have a flared end and you don't need a coupler. Cut to size.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I believe 1" EMT conduit is just right, and should be avail at HD or any hardware store. Buy 2 10' sections, cut to the total length you want. TATO sells the connector, or just cut a 1" dowel to fit, with 6-9" into each section. I don't think there's a lot of shear pressure on the center of the cross bar- mostly compression and not that much of that...
    I personally would be very wary or 1" emt conduit. It's thin walled, and designed to bend. If you load it under compression I don't see how it wouldn't bend.

I'd get 1" galvanized or black pipe: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-10...00HC/100535170 use a threaded coupler and reinforce the joint inside with narrow diameter tube, or hardwood dowel.

Edit: ahh yes. The fence rails are good to!

That's what I was thinking about the EMT Conduiit as well. It looks fairly thin and susceptible to bending under stress. I was definitely looking at the black pipe, though it's pretty heavy. I think I'll definitely look into the fence rail, but I'm a tad bit confused on how to conjoin the two 6ft lengths.

That's what I was thinking about the EMT Conduiit as well. It looks fairly thin and susceptible to bending under stress. I was definitely looking at the black pipe, though it's pretty heavy. I think I'll definitely look into the fence rail, but I'm a tad bit confused on how to conjoin the two 6ft lengths.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Fence top rail FTW. I added a 4' length of pvc pipe (1.25" iirc) to "sleeve" the joint in the top rail, as that is a likely failure point in the Turtle dog design...

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DD and DIY
    Tarp
    DD
    Insulation
    3/4 hammock gearUQ
    Suspension
    tree hugger straps
    I use 1 1/4" EMT with same size EMT couplings. I have 3, 4' pieces across the top and 2, 90 degree elbows down to the base and I am north of 250 lbs! there is no noticeable stress on this frame. I hang a warbonnet ridgerunner on this and never had an issue...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast