DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    It's completely worth it if you like it. You've got a bulletproof piece of gear that you don't have to baby like down and you enjoy it, thats reason enough. I carry around 10-15# of camera gear..... is that worth it? Definitely to me, but it wouldn't be for everyone.
    If you're getting the performance you need out of your wool then I say bring it along, HYOH and all that.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by subcanis View Post
    I have always carried at least 1 (up to 3) wool blankets with me when I hike, camp, or go into the woods for any reason. They have fantastic insulative qualities (wet or dry) are tough and can be multi-purposed (insulation, shelter, ground pad, hammock, carry-all, etc. BUT...They are heavy and bulky. I can't seem to convince myself to leave 'em home. Opinions????
    I always have a wool blanket no matter what. I realize it is outdated, however, I am not parting with it. My wool blanket has been with me for many years on countless adventures. My travel wool blanket even kept me warm when I was hospitalized in a small remote facility with an inadequate heating system (the person across from me had a jar of home preserved peaches freeze. I borrowed a touque, had my daughter bring my parka and bmy trusty wool travel blanket, I survived. I however hope I am never in such a situation again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Warb. Yeti,& Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I personally love my wool blanket, You will have a bunch of different views on this board. I don't normally hike with mine now that I have a full hammock setup. But car camping, Kayak Camping, and I even one for Emergency's in my car.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I used 100% wool blankets backpacking until I switched to hammock camping. They were just a pain to use in a hammock. Too big as a single layer, too small when doubled. Then I got into light/ultralight backpacking and have never considered bringing one along again. Now, my entire sleep & shelter system weighs less than one of the wool blankets (3.5 lbs) I used to bring.

As others have mentioned, I do keep one in my car during winter for emergencies.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    With each wool blanket weighing at least 4 to 5 lbs., I couldn't imagine carrying three of them at my age (56). However, I do remember the days when pack weight didn't mean anything to me, and I regularly went out hiking with a 60 to 70 lb. pack for an overnighter. At age 50, I finally decided I couldn't carry that kind of weight and went to more UL concepts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch

!!!UPDATE!!!

So I went hanging last night...WITHOUT my wool blanket. Just before sunrise my thermometer read 26 deg. I was warm as toast. Just got my new incubator 20 with 2 extra oz. yesterday and took it out for a test drive. With that and a Kelty Cosmic down 20 as a top quilt, I was actually too warm for a bit (while the temp was still in the 30's). The takeaway? I love the wool blankets. They truly are bulletproof and SO versatile! I think I'll always keep my wool blankets as an option, and I'm sure I'll be taking them on many adventures to come, but I also foresee leaving them in the closet when the situation warrants, which may be more often than I'm current ready to admit. Thanks for all the feedback to this post. Having just joined HF this past week I can already tell I'm going to like it here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    the umbilical cord has been cut......congrats! nice set-up btw

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    What do you use to keep it from moving around under you?

Hi, Flash. I picked up four little black plastic Spring Clamps, from the tools hardware section of Walmart. 3.99, or something like that. They pinch the fabric without tearing it, and hold that blanket tight where I want it.
    Regards, Ted

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by subcanis View Post
    ?... Just got my new incubator 20 with 2 extra oz. yesterday and took it out for a test drive. With that and a Kelty Cosmic down 20 as a top quilt, I was actually too warm for a bit (while the temp was still in the 30's)...

Say, that does look toasty! Enjoy the cool weather!

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Instead of a wool blanket, try a merino wool sweater, socks, and beanie. They are lighter and still keep the majority of your body warm. Wool definitely has its advantages and disadvantages. I always have a wool blanket when car camping, but never use it in my hammock setup. It works well as an emergency blanket if you get cold and wet. It's too heavy for lightweight backpacking. To each their own though. If you can get away with the extra weight and don't mind, then take it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast