Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nylon too slippery for larkshead?

I was visiting the local Wally World for some other purpose when I overheard that they were going to be closing the fabric section soon (not sure why). So, I made a quick scan through the dollar rack and found some nice 1.9 oz nylon (not a ripstop). I bought all 10 yards.

When I got home I made a quick test hammock using ~112" (I didn't cut the fabric, just gathered it up at the 112" mark). I put zip ties around both ends and placed my Spider line larkshead over the hammock ends about 1-1.5" below the zip ties.

I then proceed to put my fat butt into the hammock and moments later, the end just slides off. I re-tied the end and the same thing happened. So, I put an overhand knot in the fabric and put the larkshead below the knot (it still slid up to the knot).

Now I have a couple of questions...

1. I have some 7/64" AmSteel Blue on order, will its larkshead bite into the fabric better than the Spider line? I think my Spider line is 1/8" (though it looks a bit fatter, someone gave it to me, so I'm not sure).
    2. If not, should I make a channel hammock? Or a Speer-like knot hammock?
    3. If I were to whip the ends with something other than a zip-tie, what type of cord would you suggest? I have a spool of Zing It on order, will that do better as a "stopper" than the ziptie?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I think no matter what you do, you need some sort of stopper knot on the end of the fabric. Tie it in a knot..... Hem the end, create a channel... something to add a "ball" of frabic to the end so the line doesnt slide off.

I dont think the Amsteel will "bite" into the fabric any better, but it might. You can also try adding 1 or 2 more turns to your larks head prior to running the standing part of the line through the loop.

Ive used some line I received with a nylon tarp for whipping. I dont know what it is... Its nylon, pretty strong and small... probably .5mm. Give the zing it a try for the whipping.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What he said^^. As far as whipping goes, I've never done it to any of my diy hammocks. I've never had a problem...don't see it as a neccessary step. But as Opie said, you'll have to sew or knot the fabric somehow, to create a mass that the suspension can get a grip on. Knots eat up alot of fabric footage (6-8", at each end), so at 112" you'll be loosing a foot of usable hammock space.

Hem a triple layer of fabric at the ends, simple enough to do, uses up only a few inches of fabric. Thats what I've been doing and no slippage yet. Make sure your larkshead is as snug as you can get it, before applying your body weight to the hammock.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have whipped hammocks using 2 methods using the materials you're using...
    1. gathered end, then tied together with any whipped method. I've used cord and zip-ties...Jeff has great instructions here
    2. used the Warbonnet method of having a whipped mass on the ends of your hammock...method is here
    the amsteel will slide to each of the whipping and stop there...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I think no matter what you do, you need some sort of stopper knot on the end of the fabric. Tie it in a knot..... Hem the end, create a channel... something to add a "ball" of frabic to the end so the line doesnt slide off.
    That just might be the issue. The other gathered end hammock I test with does have a channel sewn in the end, though I never use it. But the channel itself does provide some bit of bulk after the ziptie.
    You can also try adding 1 or 2 more turns to your larks head prior to running the standing part of the line through the loop.
    You mean twist the loop a couple of times?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    That just might be the issue. The other gathered end hammock I test with does have a channel sewn in the end, though I never use it. But the channel itself does provide some bit of bulk after the ziptie.You mean twist the loop a couple of times?
    I think what he's talking about is a Prusik.

There's also a way to "lock in" a larkshead...maybe somebody has a pic...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Wrap your loop or cord around the bundle of fabric, three or four times, then pull the loose end of your rope thru the loop. Snug it up by pulling and adjusting, work out all the slack so the cord bites down tight. Check out Grizz's videos for great tips on tying and different suspensions.Here is the first in his series of videos.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 12-29-2009 at 11:24.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I just bought 2 bolts of ACU camo non-ripstop from the local walmart too, and overheard that they're closing their fabric section too! :-(
    I've had excellent success with a double sheet bend (no channel/knot/hem) in Amsteel with a stopper knot for security on my double 1.1 DIY hammock, so you may try that and see how you like it. I like how clean it looks, no big blob on the ends.

YMMV,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    I just bought 2 bolts of ACU camo non-ripstop from the local walmart too, and overheard that they're closing their fabric section too! :-(
    I've had excellent success with a double sheet bend (no channel/knot/hem) in Amsteel with a stopper knot for security on my double 1.1 DIY hammock, so you may try that and see how you like it. I like how clean it looks, no big blob on the ends.

YMMV,
    Acer
    Excellent advice. I had forgotten about the double sheet bend. Even though I have every intention of using it on my DIY hammocks.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hey acer, hows 'bout some pics, eh?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts